Has anyone seen these in real life? Site says they're available but at the show they said they wouldn't be until March. Sweet little amp from what I could gather online.
Hmmmm, not sure what you mean. They were released last year. I bought one a couple months afterward (my deal came with a free footswitch, others had different deals). Carvin's pretty easy to work with.

But be aware, they have a 10 day return policy. I barely had any time working with the amp before I had to make a decision. I went past the allotted time but they were cool with the extra few days -- I returned it as it didn't quite do what I was hoping it'd do. YMMV.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
That's the micro head? Maybe I've been looking at all this and was a year off. So they're obviously already available.

That was my main concern. I love the 30 days I get most other places. What didn't you like about it if you don't mind me asking? Also, thanks for the quick response.
I played one at the Carvin shop in Hollywood. They kick ass for rock, and old school metal, but look elsewhere if you need anything modern.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Feb 3, 2012,
Quote by lilwill000
That's the micro head? Maybe I've been looking at all this and was a year off. So they're obviously already available.

That was my main concern. I love the 30 days I get most other places. What didn't you like about it if you don't mind me asking? Also, thanks for the quick response.

To be honest, I was more impressed with the cleans than anything else. Channel 2 and 3 have gobs of distortion but it isn't "clean" like I prefer it. I guess how I'd describe it would be like this:

• Some amps, when I hear a thick chord played, sound very distorted on initial attack, but afterward you can hear separation between the notes.

• With the V3M it's the opposite. It has a separated attack, followed by a "fuzzy" blend afterward. Almost reminds me of a fuzz box.

I'm not making a judgment on this character being good or bad. It's definitely different than what I'm use to. It might be something Carvin is intentionally doing to have a unique character to their amps.

I was listening to some 80's and 90's rock/metal recently though and this sound would be perfect for some of the bands/music I was hearing. So I don't think I would dismiss this amp altogether. If you listen to the sound Queen gets that would describe how I was getting it to sound.

I realized I had the preamp cranked and the power stage turned down, so reversed them and the amp took on a whole different character (obviously).

I then started fresh with settings that this guy used: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCWHZmvPGbk and while I liked it, still wasn't getting that clean break up I prefer.

I played with it more the next few days and keep tweaking knobs & switches. I wish they had a bit longer return policy because I just didn't have enough time to review it before sending it back...

I think this amp is awesome but just didn't suit my tastes. And that's ultimately what I think it comes down to. Carvin's been criticized for not having their own tone -- but everyone compares them to signature tones of other manufacturers. I disagree. I think Carvin does have their own tone. The V3 and V3M tend to support that idea.

Great amp; awesome features, very flexible, low cost, high quality, light weight, etc. If it suits your tone tastes I can't imagine a much better offering out there!
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Oddly enough I was looking at those H&K TubeMeisters too. Think I can actually check one of those out in person.
Quote by lilwill000
Oddly enough I was looking at those H&K TubeMeisters too. Think I can actually check one of those out in person.

The TubeMeister is (to my ears) a polar opposite of the V3M. It has much more of a "Hi-Fidelity" sound to it. Very crisp with clear note definition. The clean can get a decent crunch to it and the lead channel has a good amount of gain (but not the brootz). It has a boost, to get a more modern high gain sound, but I'm not in love with it like I am the non-boosted channels. They absolutely kick ass!
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Feb 3, 2012,
Quote by richardlpalmer
The TubeMeister is (to my ears) a polar opposite of the V3M. It has much more of a "Hi-Fidelity" sound to it. Very crisp with clear note definition. The clean can get a decent crunch to it and the lead channel has a good amount of gain (but not the brootz). It has a boost, to get a more modern high gain sound, but I'm not in love with it like I am the non-boosted channels. They absolutely kick ass!

Will check one out. The Egnater was my first real amp purchase. Hated it. So now I'm reluctant to order something I can'tw see first hand.
Quote by lilwill000
Will check one out. The Egnater was my first real amp purchase. Hated it. So now I'm reluctant to order something I can'tw see first hand.

I hear you on that. The best you can really do is hit up YouTube and then possibly find someone with decent recordings -- possibly on Soundcloud or something like that.

But I've bought a Blackstar HT-5, Carvin V3M & Tubemeister 18 all without trying them in the store. I still have the Blackstar and the H&K, just not the V3M...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
I totally love my V3m!

I rarely ever crank the gain on channel 2 or 3 gets overpowering sometimes on channel 3, Channel one is great for the blues, My main style of playing.

I also play a lot of Black Label Society stuff. It's good for that, I can get close to Zakks tone with it and my axe but it is no marshall.

A very flexible amp, The footswitch is a must for me anyway.

Thats my two cents on the amp.
Gear:

Guitars
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez MBM2 EMGs
Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez AS93 BLS

Amp
Carvin V3m
Blackheart 4x12 cab

Pedals
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff