Page 1 of 2
because the competition forum has been dying as of lately and i, for some reason, can't fall asleep right now

i decided to start a...

Valentine's Day competition

Not any cheesy teenage love thing, though. There's a twist:

A few years ago, our loved former S&L mod, circular.parade started what he called a Valentine's day word drop competition. It was basically a competition based around Valentine's day, though you had to use three words/phrases/concepts mat (circular.parade) especially picked for you somewhere in the piece. Some of the words we were given were: "wine bottle", "silly amateur poetry", "never on the first night", "date rape", "taxi ride" and "eatable underwear". As you can imagine, this produced quite funny and interesting results.

Since I thought that was a really cool competition, I decided to pay homenage to internet poetry, hormones and holidays corrupted by a capitalist society by basically stealing mat's idea and using it for this competition.

Here are the rules: you will write a piece (poetry/song/etc.) based around February 14 related words. You will also include three words (etc.) I will pick individually for each one of you, "depending totally on who you are and what I think of you, your writing style, your age and your race".

Since this may count as a seasonal-super-whatever comp, first place will win 4 points, second place 3 points and... third place 2 points (just cus).

Voters are encouraged to make their picks based on originality.
Here are the final pieces from the original poll: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1077134

Let's try to get anywhere from eight to twelve people here, k? Say in if you want in.

1) #1 synth - "lesbian", "backseat" and "hotter than mexico"
2) jiminizzle - "cold cheeks", "out of gas" and "i (don't) want eleven kids"
3) Jammydude44 - "sexy dress", "glass of lemonade" and "valentine's day candy".
4) vintage xx metal - "simone de beauvoir", "silly drawings" and "hammock"
5) NGD1313 - "fruit-flavored condoms", "first love" and "can i borrow a pen?"
6) samoo - "fat-free ice cream", "love at first sigh" and "postcard"
7) Ad*Astra - "clumsy kiss", "glove" and "hormones"
8) ultrasonic - "lovely saliva", "walk in the park" and "never gonna give you up"

good luck, y'all
in
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

okay, y'all: so it's almost valentine's day. we can either wait for more people OR put up the words and get through with this only us so it falls on the 14th or something. what do you think?
I s'pose if we get it going with the 6 of us, it's more likely that everyone will submit a piece. But you could give it another plug in the community thread, and try to get it up to 8 or something?
Quote by ThisIsBS
So do you post it here or what?

no, you send me a piece, then i'll put them in a poll in another thread. you want to participate?
No thanks, I'm not a writer lol. I was just interested in reading them. Can you link me to the thread? Oh and where can I find the poll for the 1v1 contest thing?
Quote by ThisIsBS
No thanks, I'm not a writer lol. I was just interested in reading them. Can you link me to the thread? Oh and where can I find the poll for the 1v1 contest thing?

i can link you to the thread, once it's up if you want. and i'm not sure what 1v1 contest poll thing you're talking about. we have a 1v1 challenge thread in the main S&L Contests section.
Heh, well there's certainly some amusing phrases. I guess that's intended to be 'love at first sight'?

Well done for getting the contest going anyway, looking forward to this.
Quote by cubs
i can link you to the thread, once it's up if you want. and i'm not sure what 1v1 contest poll thing you're talking about. we have a 1v1 challenge thread in the main S&L Contests section.

Yeah I was talking about the challenge thread, had no luck at getting to read any of them.. and a link would be nice once it's up, any idea when though?
yep sent
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

When are these due? And how much freedom do we have with the words, like can we pluralize or change the word so the root is still there (hormones/hormonal)?
Quote by ThisIsBS
Yeah I was talking about the challenge thread, had no luck at getting to read any of them.. and a link would be nice once it's up, any idea when though?

yeah, i can give you a link, or just check regurarly this section. it will hopefully be up by next week.

Quote by samoo
Heh, well there's certainly some amusing phrases. I guess that's intended to be 'love at first sight'?

Well done for getting the contest going anyway, looking forward to this.

well, it was supposed to be 'love at first sigh' as in some sort of wordplay, but now i'm not sure if that makes sense at all in english, haha. what do you think? use sight if it doesn't. idk.

Quote by Ad*Astra
When are these due? And how much freedom do we have with the words, like can we pluralize or change the word so the root is still there (hormones/hormonal)?

hmm... i'd like to have these by sunday 17 so i can put up the polls sometime next week. i'm not sure how much time you need (let me know if its too soon), i already have two entries. though don't sweat it, i'm not too big on deadlines since things always end up delayed anyway.

and about the freedom with words: i'd rather you make an effort to keep the words as they are. this is in a way an excersize to make you write something with words given to you, not ones you chose.
if you're really, really having trouble change them as you mentioned, though that may put off some people from 'voting' for you since this is supposed to value your creativity with the words i gave you. so i'd say keep 'em as they are.

Quote by ultrasonic
Ahh man, is it too late to enter. I could like have it done pretty soon.

nah, man. you're in if you want. i'll give you some words right now. don't back down, have fun!
Quote by cubs
hmm... i'd like to have these by sunday 17 so i can put up the polls sometime next week. i'm not sure how much time you need (let me know if its too soon), i already have two entries. though don't sweat it, i'm not too big on deadlines since things always end up delayed anyway.

and about the freedom with words: i'd rather you make an effort to keep the words as they are. this is in a way an excersize to make you write something with words given to you, not ones you chose.
if you're really, really having trouble change them as you mentioned, though that may put off some people from 'voting' for you since this is supposed to value your creativity with the words i gave you. so i'd say keep 'em as they are.

That's not a problem, was just curious.
I'll join if it's still open, but it might be pushing the envelope a bit on that one - with the late entry I mean.
Quote by cubs
well, it was supposed to be 'love at first sigh' as in some sort of wordplay, but now i'm not sure if that makes sense at all in english, haha. what do you think? use sight if it doesn't. idk.

I like love at first sigh better! Sent via pm.
duedate: MONDAY NIGHT (TOMORROW)

Quote by Solemn Art
I'll join if it's still open, but it might be pushing the envelope a bit on that one - with the late entry I mean.

yeah, i think it's too late. i could sign you up as a back up, though. if someone backs down at the last minute (by not sending something in), i could give you that spot if you want.
Okay. That'd be fine.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, we will know peace
~Jimi Hendrix
Page 1 of 2