I didnt know that! But - kirk played in bands before taking lessons from satiriani. I mean - what more can a guitarist learn? Did satiriani taught them basic things and techniques? What more can you learn about the guitar that will make such an amazing guitarist like Satiriani spend his time with you?
Theory, and approaches to both music and guitar. Learning never stops, ever.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
He taught many other people like Larry LaLonde and Charlie Hunter, a whole bunch of other bay area people after he moved to Berkeley like Rick Hunolt and Alex Skolnick and probably many more guitarists who never made it big

Yet he's stated that, after teaching all those guys, the only two people who've ever "graduated" from his lessons were Steve Vai and Geoff Tyson (which doesn't necessarily mean they were better than him at that point: it just means there wasn't much left to teach)

There's always more to learn -> I once remember reading an interview with Alvin Lee who in the late 60's / early 70's was considered one of the most gifted guitarists in the world (way more solid than Page or Clapton): at one point he said he wanted to travel to Spain to study flamenco because he wanted to learn some "real guitar". Even a guy like Guthrie Govan who seems to have mastered it all will be the first to tell you there's some styles and genres outside his comfort zone he WISHES he could master. And to be fair, Kirk Hammett isn't even close to being among the top guitarists in his OWN genre (I actually rate Hetfield higher cos he's a phenomenal rhythm player) so there's like a zillion things he could learn from a guy like Satch

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There's always more to learn -> I once remember reading an interview with Alvin Lee who in the late 60's / early 70's was considered one of the most gifted guitarists in the world (way more solid than Page or Clapton): at one point he said he wanted to travel to Spain to study flamenco because he wanted to learn some "real guitar". Even a guy like Guthrie Govan who seems to have mastered it all will be the first to tell you there's some styles and genres outside his comfort zone he WISHES he could master. And to be fair, Kirk Hammett isn't even close to being among the top guitarists in his OWN genre (I actually rate Hetfield higher cos he's a phenomenal rhythm player) so there's like a zillion things he could learn from a guy like Satch

Quote by ooominhooo
Too bad Satriani is an average guitarist who's very overrated.

Die man, die!!

And Joe Satriani is Joe Satriani HE IS THE MAN- YOU CAN'T SAY YOU KNOW ALL IF YOU HAVEN'T TAKEN CLASSES FROM Satch. He's the best PERIOD
Quote by ooominhooo

I bet he's got more money than you and I reckon he could well kick your ass, the guy's a legend.
Quote by Twidler
I bet he's got more money than you and I reckon he could well kick your ass, the guy's a legend.

Money is no indicator of talent; see The Jonas Brothers.

I agree with your point though, Satch is a ****ing legend. And he's got the chops to have earned that status.
Quote by ooominhooo

You'll start think the opposite once you start making music yourself and listen to him again. Though he is an awesome guitarist, he isn't known for his technical prowess at the instrument but rather originality and creativity.
Quote by Shotgunmerc
Money is no indicator of talent; see The Jonas Brothers.

I agree with your point though, Satch is a ****ing legend. And he's got the chops to have earned that status.

Totally, I went to see him live and he was just amazing, even better than his cds or dvds and to be able to do that level of soloing for like 2.5 hours without missing a beat?! I know there are other more technical players but satch just nails it with his melodies and he's also a sound guy. He also made you feel welcome and part of the show no matter where you were sitting.
To me, it's apparent that Kirk didn't pay much attention during his lessons w/Satch. He (Kirk), also cites Michael Schenker as one of his main influences. He obviously didn't pick up on the way Michael bends, and his style of vibrato.
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
Kirk's a sloppy soloist, but he's a competent guitarist. He's hardly the best out there, but he's definitely not the worst.

On topic, Satch was a teacher for a while long before he ever released an album.
On topic, Satch was a teacher for a while long before he ever released an album.
that is good !

Quote by nolezhouyiz
that is good !

From what I remember, he taught Steve Vai from the time he turned up for his first lesson with a guitar without strings, and it was once Vai was famous and raving about his former teacher that Satriani was encouraged to put an album together.
Quote by Geldin
Kirk's a sloppy soloist, but he's a competent guitarist. He's hardly the best out there, but he's definitely not the worst.

Satch is pretty sloppy too.
Quote by ooominhooo
Satch is pretty sloppy too.

Satch sloppy ? That makes no sense...
Quote by shwilly
And to be fair, Kirk Hammett isn't even close to being among the top guitarists in his OWN genre (I actually rate Hetfield higher cos he's a phenomenal rhythm player)

I agree.