I've got a PRS 25th Anniversary SE Custom 24, currently completely stock. I'm planning on putting new pickups in (probably DiMarzio stuff), replacing the machineheads and adding a Graphtech Ghost system. Now, I've two questions:

1) Would I need new pots for the different pickups, or is that only a problem when going between active and passive pups?

2) How would one go about getting the piezo signal from the guitar? I've seen people using Y-cables from the one jack, which I'd prefer as I don't fancy drilling holes in the guitar.

3) Sterzel or PRS Phase II/III locking tuners?
Last edited by Arzei at Feb 3, 2012,
I'll try to answer your questions first:
1) If you replace the pups with the same kind of pups - e.g. humbuckers with humbuckers or single coils with single coils -, you don't need to replace the pots. PRS's electronics is just great, I'm not sure you'd find better pots actually. So: there's no need to replace the pots if you put humbuckers instead of PRS's original humbuckers.
2) Sperzel makes great tuning pegs. I don't know anything about PRS's own locking system, but it might be as good as the Sperzel, and probably better suited to your guitar, in terms of gauge or screws.
But let me ask you a question: why would you replace these things? IMHO, PRS' pickups are among the best in the world, competing against any DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan or Bareknuckle. Lindy Fralin has reportedly helped Paul Reed Smith to develop his first pickups, and stock PRS pups are still custom hand made in the USA. They are also calibrated to the guitar's body, so they get the best sound out of it. And so is the hardware. PRS is famous for its high quality components. You're the first player I've heard wanting to modify a PRS!
You don't have to answer my questions, of course. I was just wandering. I wish you good luck in modifying your superbe axe.
1) You won't need new pots.
2) Dunno
3) you can always trust PRS for quality so I'd go with them.
Quote by rv_phoenix
1) If you replace the pups with the same kind of pups - e.g. humbuckers with humbuckers or single coils with single coils -, you don't need to replace the pots. PRS's electronics is just great, I'm not sure you'd find better pots actually. So: there's no need to replace the pots if you put humbuckers instead of PRS's original humbuckers.
2) Sperzel makes great tuning pegs. I don't know anything about PRS's own locking system, but it might be as good as the Sperzel, and probably better suited to your guitar, in terms of gauge or screws.
But let me ask you a question: why would you replace these things? IMHO, PRS' pickups are among the best in the world, competing against any DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan or Bareknuckle. Lindy Fralin has reportedly helped Paul Reed Smith to develop his first pickups, and stock PRS pups are still custom hand made in the USA. They are also calibrated to the guitar's body, so they get the best sound out of it. And so is the hardware. PRS is famous for its high quality components. You're the first player I've heard wanting to modify a PRS!
You don't have to answer my questions, of course. I was just wandering. I wish you good luck in modifying your superbe axe.

He wants to do this cos it's a PRS SE, not a standard PRS so it'll obviously not be as high quality as Seymour Duncan pickups or DiMarzio.
Quote by rv_phoenix
Thanks for that, good thing I don't need to take the pots out then!

Well, if it was an American-made PRS I probably wouldn't as it would've had real Dragon pickups or maybe even 57/08's but as this is an SE, I'm not as convinced. This is one of the best SEs, yeah, but still. I've become slightly obsessed with John Petrucci lately which is why I'm thinking DiMarzio + piezo.

Also, you should check out the Birds and Moons forums - there's people there doing all kinds of things to Private Stocks and 80's PRS models.

It's either this or buying a PRS P22, but for one they don't have trems (yet) and they cost three months' earnings.
Last edited by Arzei at Feb 3, 2012,