Page 1 of 3
Hey guys.
The 6505 on my vypyr. Well it doesnt sound too great. There you have it.
The main problems are,

-Way too less Highs.
-Way too much mids for metal. It really really 'mid rich' in tone even when the mid knob is at 0.

Yeah thats pretty much it. The Rec sounds better for me actually but I've heard a lot of people say that the 6505 on the vypyr is killer. But I dont get a really good tone from it.
My guitar is a Yamaha Pacifica 012.

Thanks in advance.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
Well... isn't the 6505 a very mid heavy amp? I haven't played one personally, but I always see people on here saying that you can scoop the mids a lot on that amp, and still have enough mids. Gain as well.

If the recto model sounds better to you... use that one instead?
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Yeah but something isn't right.
People say that the vypyr 6505 model sounds pretty close to the original 6505.
And mine doesnt sound anything liike the 6505. And the highs are really low. Even when my highs are floored, it sounds way too dark. And usually I have my mids scooped and still its really mid heavy.
The reason I like the 6505 is because I low its gain. Much crunchier than the rec.

Which brings me to my second problem. My vypyr has very little gain. People on youtube get pretty awesome metal tones from the vypyr without adding a tubescreamer. But I can only get a metal tone if I add a tubescreamer. And since its a solid state amp, that isn't supposed to happen, right?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
Wish I could be of more help man, my experience with the vypyr is VERY limited... like maybe an hour of jamming on it.

Maybe 311 will weigh in on this later. He has a good amount of knowledge on the vyvpyrs
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by amithkallupalam
Yeah but something isn't right.
People say that the vypyr 6505 model sounds pretty close to the original 6505.
And mine doesnt sound anything liike the 6505. And the highs are really low. Even when my highs are floored, it sounds way too dark. And usually I have my mids scooped and still its really mid heavy.
The reason I like the 6505 is because I low its gain. Much crunchier than the rec.

Which brings me to my second problem. My vypyr has very little gain. People on youtube get pretty awesome metal tones from the vypyr without adding a tubescreamer. But I can only get a metal tone if I add a tubescreamer. And since its a solid state amp, that isn't supposed to happen, right?

It sounds reasonably close to the 6505 if youre using one of the Vypyr Tube heads through a good cabinet with V30's. Through an SS Vypyr with an 8'' speaker and only 15 watts, it really wont come anywhere close. That said, the 6505 is a very dark and lower mids heavy amp. What you are hearing isnt too off the mark.

Try boosting it with one of the OD models. Or just use another model that you like better. As for not enough gain, its probably your guitar. IIRC the Pacifica isnt really a metal oriented guitar. My LTD MH gets enough saturation for stuff like Arch Enemy on the 5150 model at 5/10. My H with 14's does it at 2/10. Also, iit might be that youre wanting more gain than you actually need. I see more of a technique problem here than an amp problem. Even low output pickups shouldnt matter that much.

EDIT: Each amp model on the Vypyr has two modes, a green and a red. Green is usually the amps clean channel or low gain crunch channel. Are you using the green or the red? Press the amp model knob to change.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Feb 3, 2012,
interesting... i have a vypyr 30 and yes, the 6505 is mid heavy.. but when i scoop the mids and increase the lows and highs.. its good, if u tweak the settings (depends on ur guitar and pickups) u cud get a van halen type of tone.
But of course, it does seem to have less gain when compared with jsx and rec on red channel.. but thats jus an illusion .. cos its got less oomph compared to the other two. I use the tubescrmr setting (0,0) which jus gives enough extra gain.. but yea.. it becomes a bit noisy this way.
But i shud remind you that it also depends on your guitar, pickups on em and perhaps ur connnecting cord too. Im pretty sure that if u get good pickups, u might get a better tone.
Quote by GS LEAD 5

It sounds reasonably close to the 6505 if youre using one of the Vypyr Tube heads through a good cabinet with V30's. Through an SS Vypyr with an 8'' speaker and only 15 watts, it really wont come anywhere close. That said, the 6505 is a very dark and lower mids heavy amp. What you are hearing isnt too off the mark.

Try boosting it with one of the OD models. Or just use another model that you like better. As for not enough gain, its probably your guitar. IIRC the Pacifica isnt really a metal oriented guitar. My LTD MH gets enough saturation for stuff like Arch Enemy on the 5150 model at 5/10. My H with 14's does it at 2/10. Also, iit might be that youre wanting more gain than you actually need. I see more of a technique problem here than an amp problem. Even low output pickups shouldnt matter that much.

EDIT: Each amp model on the Vypyr has two modes, a green and a red. Green is usually the amps clean channel or low gain crunch channel. Are you using the green or the red? Press the amp model knob to change.

Quote by nitarsh
interesting... i have a vypyr 30 and yes, the 6505 is mid heavy.. but when i scoop the mids and increase the lows and highs.. its good, if u tweak the settings (depends on ur guitar and pickups) u cud get a van halen type of tone.
But of course, it does seem to have less gain when compared with jsx and rec on red channel.. but thats jus an illusion .. cos its got less oomph compared to the other two. I use the tubescrmr setting (0,0) which jus gives enough extra gain.. but yea.. it becomes a bit noisy this way.
But i shud remind you that it also depends on your guitar, pickups on em and perhaps ur connnecting cord too. Im pretty sure that if u get good pickups, u might get a better tone.

Yeah. Ok so can pickups really add that much gain to a solid state amp? And would it be advisable to change the pickups on my guitar? And also, it is in the red channel. And all the amp models lack gain. So I always have to add the tubescreamer to get a decent metal tone. So Pickups? And by the way I have a pacifica 012, not a 112 which has an alder body while mine has an agathis body.

EDIT: GS, when you talked about you getting a really heavy tone from the 5150 model, where you talking about the vypyr or your digitech? Because, the digitech might have a better 5150 model than my vypyr's.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Last edited by amithkallupalam at Feb 3, 2012,
never played the vyper 15 but the 6505 is a pretty dark, middy amp so what you're describing sounds normal. its not made for scooped metal tones i wouldn't recommend getting new pickups for your guitar. it may change the tone a tiny amount but its not going to be very noticeable at all through a modeling amp
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Wait, why don't you EQ the 6505 preset to fit your liking? Isn't it possible on the vypyr?
It's possible on my vox vt, just saying.
Ibanez RG821 + Ibanez TS9
Peavey Vypyr 30 + Sanpera

My song covers on YouTube
Quote by amithkallupalam
Yeah. Ok so can pickups really add that much gain to a solid state amp? And would it be advisable to change the pickups on my guitar? And also, it is in the red channel. And all the amp models lack gain. So I always have to add the tubescreamer to get a decent metal tone. So Pickups? And by the way I have a pacifica 012, not a 112 which has an alder body while mine has an agathis body.

EDIT: GS, when you talked about you getting a really heavy tone from the 5150 model, where you talking about the vypyr or your digitech? Because, the digitech might have a better 5150 model than my vypyr's.

Ive played a Vypyr 15. It had considerably more gain than my RP500.

Try increasing pickup height before changing pickups.

Quote by Goodtimes666
never played the vyper 15 but the 6505 is a pretty dark, middy amp so what you're describing sounds normal. its not made for scooped metal tones i wouldn't recommend getting new pickups for your guitar. it may change the tone a tiny amount but its not going to be very noticeable at all through a modeling amp

That changing pickups doesnt do much for modellers is all rubbish. Wood differences are supposed to be more subtle than pickup changes, and even that causes major differences to my ears. The only difference between my two guitars is that one is basswood and the other mahogany. Hardware and electronics are 100% the same. Scale length, neck wood, everything. Just the wood alone makes them sound poles apart. The H is very bassy and lower mids heavy with a lack of sparkle in cleans, while the MH has a massive upper mid spike without as much low end as the H. Its a difference thats not just on feel, it screams out in recordings as well.

That said, changing pickups is something thats done once youve exhausted all other avenues of changing your tone. And doing it for more gain isnt exactly ideal. Just raising pickup height adds a lot of gain alone, along with thicker strings.

Guitar cord might cut some volume/tone but i dont think it happens unless youre using something like 20 meters? I might be wrong, Ive never used any length longer than 5 meters or so........
Yeah I can eq it man. Its just that there is a limit to everything. my high knob is floored and I have my mids scooped.. Anyway it could be that the 6505 sounds like that.
But what about the gain problem? All the amps in my vypyr lack gain. The rec,jsx,xxx etc. Even the 6505. And I have to run an od pedal. But a lot of people get really heavy and chuggy metal tones from the vypyr without using the tube screamer.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Quote by amithkallupalam
Yeah I can eq it man. Its just that there is a limit to everything. my high knob is floored and I have my mids scooped.. Anyway it could be that the 6505 sounds like that.
But what about the gain problem? All the amps in my vypyr lack gain. The rec,jsx,xxx etc. Even the 6505. And I have to run an od pedal. But a lot of people get really heavy and chuggy metal tones from the vypyr without using the tube screamer.

Is your picking technique correct? Most br00t4l chuggah chuggah sounds come from heavy picking technique rather than diming the gain. When I first got my RP, I was a rank beginner and I used to dime the gain as well as add a boost to the models. Now I rarely set the gain above 5 or 6 on ten on most of the models and I only boost lower gain models like the Plexi model if im in the mood for a bit of variation from my usual stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gle82A-bTP8&feature=relmfu

Some pretty nice sounds here. JSX model too. 120W head though.
See the gain knob closeup in front. Its at barely 12 o clock.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Is your picking technique correct? Most br00t4l chuggah chuggah sounds come from heavy picking technique rather than diming the gain. When I first got my RP, I was a rank beginner and I used to dime the gain as well as add a boost to the models. Now I rarely set the gain above 5 or 6 on ten on most of the models and I only boost lower gain models like the Plexi model if im in the mood for a bit of variation from my usual stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gle82A-bTP8&feature=relmfu

Some pretty nice sounds here. JSX model too. 120W head though.
See the gain knob closeup in front. Its at barely 12 o clock.

Same here. I have gain between 5 and 6. Even on my brothers vypyr 15 thats enough gain for a good metal tone even without boosting, if you are using the high gain models.
Three words: 8 inch speaker.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Vypyr Tube Sixty

cant wait!
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Trust me guys, picking technique is pretty much correct. And when I tried our ola/fearedse's tone on my vypyr, it sucked ass. I tried changing the eq settings a lot but it sounded a lot like 60s-70s rock i think. Pretty thin and lots and lots of mids. And Im pretty sure that if I pick harder than this, my strings will break. Anyway, Ill try messing around with the pickup heights.
My friend who has a vypyr 15 has the same problem. And I know a guy who has a 75w version and it lacks gain too...
I'm starting to think its the difference between the ss models and the tube models.....
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Differences in Pickups depends on the amp .. true.. but this is my experience: I had a dean vendetta and the dean M-10 starter amp.. i had upgraded my pickups to the emg-hz .. although the difference in tone was apparent, it wasnt a big change.. however, when i got my vypyr, it sounded really good.. and once i took it to a guitar shop where i played it thru a much better amp( randall i guess) and it sounded even more beautiful. I guess u get the point
Increasing the pickup height does increase gain.. but decreases the sustain and the tone..
I would suggest u take ur guitar to the local guitar store.. check out a few amps and compare ur guitar to another using a standard amp as a constant. U shud learn where the problem is.
If u find out the problem is pickups and u dont have good amnt to money to buy a decent pair, u can always buy em second handed.. hell, i wud sell my emg-hzs for dirt cheap since i dont use them anymore
Quote by amithkallupalam
Trust me guys, picking technique is pretty much correct. And when I tried our ola/fearedse's tone on my vypyr, it sucked ass. I tried changing the eq settings a lot but it sounded a lot like 60s-70s rock i think. Pretty thin and lots and lots of mids. And Im pretty sure that if I pick harder than this, my strings will break. Anyway, Ill try messing around with the pickup heights.
My friend who has a vypyr 15 has the same problem. And I know a guy who has a 75w version and it lacks gain too...
I'm starting to think its the difference between the ss models and the tube models.....

Youre ears are dead. A Vypyr at 5/10 on the gain knob has so much gain I need to move my hand further away from the bridge just to keep palm mutes from ringing out.

Increase pickup height, get thicker strings, if that doesnt work, get a whole new guitar.
Yeah dude, the solid state vypyrs have plenty of gain. I play mine with gain at 4 on the 6505 model, only boost for a super smooth lead tone. Either your amps broke or your ears are one
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Ok guys Im uploading a vid on Youtube. Hear for yourselves!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Last edited by amithkallupalam at Feb 5, 2012,
http://youtu.be/89r-l5EwXbA
Check out this link a couple of minutes later. Video is only being uploaded.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
There is the link.
1st time, Full Gain, No Boost, JSX RED.
2nd time, Less than Half gain, No Boost, JSX RED.
3rd time, Full Gain, Boosted (0,full), JSX RED.

I know it sounds like a lot of gain but there is actually very little. Most of it is my crappy phone camera. And please forgive my sloppy playing. Just woke up and my left thumb is broken.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Quote by amithkallupalam
http://youtu.be/89r-l5EwXbA
Check out this link a couple of minutes later. Video is only being uploaded.

It sounds perfectly fine maybe try muting a little closer to the bridge with a lighter hand?

EDIT: Did you raise the pickups? Try the bridge pickup? Set guitar volume and tone knobs to full?
^ That's what I was thinking too. It does sound a little weak and lacks presence, but A) You're using a Yamaha Pacifica, B) Like I said before, 8" speaker. Nothing will ever sound "full" on a Vypyr 15.

Try turning your post gain down and turning the actual volume knob up instead.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah I mute really really close, if I move closer to the bridge, ill lose the tightness of my palm mutes. Second thing. Fearedse got a KILLER metal tone without boost on a jsx with less than half gain. And if you check out the same setting on my vypyr, its not metal. It sounds classic rock to me.
My volume knob is full but when I floor my tone knob its too fuzzy..
And yeah ill try increasing height right now and ill try reducing post gain and increasing master volume.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
^I think youre trying to achieve a studio tone on the amp. That wont happen. Studio tones come from double/quadtracking and a bazillion bits of trickery.

http://soundcloud.com/arghyadeepmitra/mark-iv-and-recto-with-post-eq

This is about the most gain I have ever used on a recording, about 7/10 for both tracks.
Double tracking is sloppy.
Man you dont get it, listen to the video when my gain is less than half. It doesnt have all the gain fearedse get in the video. I mean forget the quality! Just listen to the gain. I only get as much as gain as fearedse when I floor the gain knob and add a tubescreamer.
That is the problem.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
You can't "hear" gain, you can hear distortion - but needless to say you're getting a crapload, I honestly don't know what you're thinking is wrong. There's nothing wrong with your Vypyr, I think you're just expecting too much from a 15 watt practice amp.

Although you might want to try turning the master volume up above 0.5....
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ola's pickups are probably hotter than those on a Pacifica. Better quality guitar too.
This amp is a modeler - not a true solid state guitar amp. Guitar pickups don't matter. The signal is processed by a dsp and ends up digital. Pickup nuances get throw out the window.
Quote by amithkallupalam
Man you dont get it, listen to the video when my gain is less than half. It doesnt have all the gain fearedse get in the video. I mean forget the quality! Just listen to the gain. I only get as much as gain as fearedse when I floor the gain knob and add a tubescreamer.
That is the problem.

Ola double tracks all his stuff. Thats what I meant by studio tone.

Quote by 667
This amp is a modeler - not a true solid state guitar amp. Guitar pickups don't matter. The signal is processed by a dsp and ends up digital. Pickup nuances get throw out the window.

Myth. Forget pickups, woods alone make a massive difference to my ear. And its not a delusion on my part, it shows up in my recordings as well.

A DSP takes the input signal and applies a mathematical function to it to get an output signal which is then amplified to line level and is sent to a poweramp.
Any change in the input signal will cause a change in the output signal.
Whether the result is good or bad depends on the DSP and on your own personal taste. But that woods and pickups make no difference to a modeller is all bunkum.

http://soundcloud.com/levi79/sets/bareknuckle-aftermath-test/

One example. Its subtle, but the difference can easily be heard.

Quote by steven seagull
You can't "hear" gain, you can hear distortion - but needless to say you're getting a crapload, I honestly don't know what you're thinking is wrong. There's nothing wrong with your Vypyr, I think you're just expecting too much from a 15 watt practice amp.

Although you might want to try turning the master volume up above 0.5....

I think he just doesnt know how much gain he actually needs. When I started out three years back, I used to dime the gain on my DF-7's Boss MT2 model. I still thought that wasnt enough boy was I dissappointed when I tried diming the gain on this old 5150 combo I found in the shop and found it less than the pedal

Now I find the same level of gain on anything just about unplayable.

@TS: Btw what tuning and what guage strings are you using? Lower tunings with thicker strings tend to qquite literally sound thicker giving the illusion of more gain. Ola is using a 7 string tuned to drop A/B. That will always sound thicker than a guitar in E standard with thinner strings.

inb4 haters saying "lower tunings dont make things heavier/br00t4ler" - I never said they did, only that they sound thicker.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Feb 5, 2012,
turn it up loud!
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Ha, i went from playing 7's in standard tuning to playing 11's in drop c. the tonal difference was overwhelming. i couldnt beleive how much clearer the notes where. at first i thought it was much less gain but then i realized it was just clearer. as far as that video goes it truly just sounds like a crappy guitar. i dont care if its a modeling amp. crappy sound in = crappy sound out. gotta get a good sounding guitar man.
Page 1 of 3