I know that yngwie uses a lot of linear scale runs and arpeggios all over the neck. I want to know if anyone might have an idea of how he constructs his songs. For example, does he start with the bass and drums first? Or does he just play only on the guitar without anything at all and add the bass later and other instruments on because he knows exactly what arps and scales the solo consists of.
Yngwie's songs (actual songs, not arpeggios from hell rubbish) include a fair amount of chromaticism and modulations. Look at the music at the simplest level, not the fancy stuff going on over the top, it will make the lead make much more sense.

He also writes ALL the music. Drums, bass, keyboard, guitar etc.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Feb 3, 2012,
Any particular song? Pretty vague question dude. Maybe I'll give Yngvie a call and see what order the instruments are written?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I know that he does the lead work last according to him. Apparently he likes to do all the rhythmic stuff first and then solo over it.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
No I really do not have a particular song in mind. I was just curious as to what his method is to putting his solos together with the bass and drums etc.
Quote by iidunno
No I really do not have a particular song in mind. I was just curious as to what his method is to putting his solos together with the bass and drums etc.

He does the same as any other guitarist doing a solo, chord tones and decoration.
A lot of his songs are straight forward rock songs too.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by blooddrunk
Usually he just rips off some music written hundreds of years ago.

LOL this, give or take a couple hundred years...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
If you are looking at this for an answer to writing your own music. STOP. It probably won't work. Find a way that you like for writing songs.

I like to take basic chords and play around with them, then I like to move them around and see what tones I can make. After I get something I'm happy with, I choose to break the chords down, or solo over top what I have. For soloing I never focus on a strict anything. I only look at what chord tones I want to hit and where. I tend to be very "chromatic" (I say this because it's not true chromatic but I tend to hit a lot of passing tones in my shreddy stuff) in large intervals because I like P5; P4; tritones; m6; and M6 more then m2s.

That's my 2 cents but Yngwie favors Harmonic Minor and Natural Minor a lot. I heard some Phrygian dominant too before.

Cheers,
Xter
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90