Alreet?

Thinking of taking the plunge into the world of tube amps. I'm looking for around 40W-50W of power, loud enough to gig with a 5 piece anyways. A few other things to take into consideration.

1) Weight: The lighter the better, My arms are shit (RSI) so wearing them out before
I even look at my guitar is not a great deal.
2) Channels: I'm mainly looking for cleans, a decent overdrive channel is a bonus, but
not entirely necessary. There's always pedals (TS9 mainly)
3) Guitar: I'm playing an American Standard Telecaster for gigs.

4) budget: Around €600 - €800 is ideal. don't really want to go over.

I'm currently looking at a used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (pretty sure it's the new model) going for €600 (retails at around €850). Would you recommend it? Also any idea if this is Cathode Biased (Is that right?) so I won't have to lug it to a tech everytime I replace the tubes?

other contenders

Peavey Classic 30 - Lightweight, but might not have the desired clean headroom, and not too easy to find where I am. Have to buy online. (around €6-700).

Jet City 5012 - Heard good things, but can't find many demos on youtube, and again i'd have to get this online. (€850 ish)

Thoughts and Recommendations?

Thanks guys!
All of those amps are great, and would be a massive improvement over an AVT. I'd get the Classic 30 personally.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
traynor ycv50b on thomann?

i've only tried the 40 watter, but the 40 appears to be (almost) the same thing with 6L6es and a worse speaker.

My overriding impression of the 40 was that it was like a better hot rod deluxe. i.e. the overdrive channel wasn't completely useless.

though... if cleans are your absolute #1 priority the HRD would work. though it might be a better idea to look at the blues deluxe instead.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If weight is an issue, I highly recommend looking into a head/cab setup. Low gain isn't my specialty, so I'll leave it up to others to help you further

FWIW, I'm pretty sure Peavey made a Classic 50 head at some point. Shouldn't be too expensive used, if you can find one.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
true, although (depending on the amp) a head can weigh as much as a 1x12 combo
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My So Cal 50 weighs about 30 kilo's on its own, then theres the cab which is damn close to 40 kilo's if not more. My Fender combo which is the same size or there abouts as a HRD would be lucky to 18 kilo's. You dont buy a amp and cab to save weight. You buy them for interchangeability with different cabs etc. I say get the HRD.
^ it does depend, though. I mean, that's a 4x12. A 2x12 will often be around the 20kg mark, which is often (marginally) lighter than a (well-built) 1x12 combo, and (noticeably) lighter than a 2x12 combo.

same thing with a head... some of the smaller heads (or less fully-featured ones) can be around the 15-20kg mark, which again is a fair bit lighter than a (well-built) 1x12 combo and a lot lighter than a 2x12. And those lunchbox heads can be very light indeed (like 10kg or less), if you're really concerned about weight.

But i'd agree, buying one of teh heavier heads combined with a (quality) 4x12 isn't exactly what you normally do if you're trying to cut down on the weight. As you say a 4x12 can easily be 40 (if not 50) kg!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
But then your still lugging around 2 bits of equipment that weigh roughly the same as one combo.... I get what your saying though.
Maybe a Blues Junior or a Laney VC30? Slightly lower wattage, but both nice amps that I think would still work well for you. Maybe a used AC30 as well?

EDIT: A used Tweaker 40 would be awesome as too.
Last edited by telemetal at Feb 3, 2012,
^ Laney VC30
+ Egnater Rebel 30
+ Egnater Renegade
+ Definitely the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is a great amp, I played and liked it a lot.

Put those ones on your "amps to try" list.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Feb 4, 2012,
Quote by Perverockstar69
^ Laney VC30
+ Rebel 30 perhaps

Put those ones on your "amps to try" list.

Forgot about the Rebel. TS, check out all the Egnaters in your price range Fantastic amps.
I would also second a Rebel 30. I loved mine. It wasn't quite the sound I personally was looking for, but it was a sexy little amp with a loud mouth on it.

I'm not sure how pounds translate to American dollars...but the Vox AC15C1 is a great amp with more headroom than I would've thought...I also was gigging with it in full band situations...Hard rock bands as well, so stage volume was loud. I didn't need to crank it either. Just throwing it out there.

But Egnater is making great stuff as of late. So definitely check 'em out
Quote by Offworld92
If weight is an issue, I highly recommend looking into a head/cab setup. Low gain isn't my specialty, so I'll leave it up to others to help you further

FWIW, I'm pretty sure Peavey made a Classic 50 head at some point. Shouldn't be too expensive used, if you can find one.

a head and cab are at the bottom of my list to be honest. I can't see it being easier to manage than a combo. I only play cover gigs too (no support/headline acts) so the cab would be constantly coming with me. Even a 2x12 would be a pain, and take up more space than necessary in bandmates' transport.

Weight wise I'd like to keep it around the 2-25kg mark. closer to (or less than) 20 the better! I'm pretty damn puny!

Also never really been a fan of Vox stuff. Might just be a lack of experience, but they've never stood out for me. I'm pretty set on that fender twang at the moment too. 15W doesn't sound like enough power for what I need either!

The Egnater Tweaker 40 is just above my price range. How do the cleans hold up to fenders? They look like they'd have more in common with vox amps?

Traynor YCV50 seems ridiculously cheap for a 50W tube amp. Any more info on these guys?
Quote by dazza027
But then your still lugging around 2 bits of equipment that weigh roughly the same as one combo.... I get what your saying though.

yep, sure, but they are slightly lighter.

I dunno about you, but i'm a wuss. that few kg is the difference between "i can just about carry that" and "i can't"
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by shmeegle

Traynor YCV50 seems ridiculously cheap for a 50W tube amp. Any more info on these guys?

it's just a good deal for some reason

check thomann's price on the ycv40, it's like over 1000 euros. same amp, basically.

now... 1000's way too much. but when they used to have a UK distributor they were going for about £700.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?