Poll: Do we only truly appreciate things once they're gone?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do we only truly appreciate things once they're gone?
Yes
36 37%
No
6 6%
Only with some things
52 53%
Undecided
2 2%
Other answer (Please explain)
2 2%
Voters: 98.
I woke up this morning and I was wondering about how true this statement is. Do we really tend to truly appreciate things after they're no longer in our lives?

I can say that for me there are some things that were in my life that I really didn't appreciate until I no longer had them around, but there's other things that are currently in my life that I'm sure I'm taking for granted.

What do you guys think about this?

Poll up in a moment.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Once you experience a dramatic case of this, you tend to become very appreciative of things without losing them.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by necrosis1193
Once you experience a dramatic case of this, you tend to become very appreciative of things without losing them.

Well there's been a couple dramatic cases with this where I either lost something or came pretty close to it (or it at least felt that way), but there's some things that I don't really appreciate even though I still have them now. There's other things that are in my life that I do have that I appreciate, but some that aren't like that.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by metalblaster
paid paradise to put up a parking lot....

sorry, just read the title.

Late last night I heard the screen door swing, and a big yellow taxi took my girl away...

It's definitely true .. you can say it about pretty much everything .. just look around and think what you'd do without the thing your looking at.

Fridge .. otherwise you'd have to fill up a big bucket or some shit with ice cubes regularly to keep your chicken fillets and beer cold.

Chair .. sit on the floor or stand .. or sit on the bucket filled with ice and chicken.

Door .. cold, sense of less security, people can see you smashing one out to redtube.

Central heating .. ****ed if it breaks down.

General health / well being .. the most under appreciated of the lot.
Blue Jays, Seahawks, Raptors, Habs, Peterborough United FC, Gold Coast Suns.
Quote by Rockford_rocks
...Wait. Isn't it paved paradise?

They paved paradise to put up a parking lot.

Took all the trees .. bla bla bla ..

Yeah it's paved.
I mainly disagree with this statement.

Yes it's true, but just as true as "You don't know how good something is until you get it".

So if you lose something, like a girlfriend, and it feels shit. You don't have a clue what's in store for you next. So there's no point getting all nostalgic over it.
Dang... I thought I was going to have to read a hatefest of Cinderella or other hair bands lol

It's pretty true in most cases... Other cases you start to have an objective view on things after they're gone and go "Whoa... Look what shitstorm I barely missed"
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.
Quote by a_7_x

Yes it's true, but just as true as "You don't know how good something is until you get it".

So if you lose something, like a girlfriend, and it feels shit. You don't have a clue what's in store for you next. So there's no point getting all nostalgic over it.

Yeah. I had a buddy who got cheated on by his gf and his best friend.

And now, well his gf has a really big mouth. And she does anal.

So yeahh. Like plus one for that right?
Quote by metalblaster
Yeah. I had a buddy who got cheated on by his gf and his best friend.

And now, well his gf has a really big mouth. And she does anal.

So yeahh. Like plus one for that right?

Yeah, I guess.
Quote by IWasMaiden93
Dang... I thought I was going to have to read a hatefest of Cinderella or other hair bands lol

It's pretty true in most cases... Other cases you start to have an objective view on things after they're gone and go "Whoa... Look what shitstorm I barely missed"

I didn't even think about the fact that it was the name of one of their songs when I made this thread.

Yeah, there were quite a few big things that happened in my life that caused me to realize how good something really was (I would rather not go into those), but I still think there are some things that have now that I don't appreciate as much as I should.
Quote by L2112Lif
i don't usually do this however, once i cracked my iPhone and subsequently sent it in for repairs, leaving me with a shitty old Nokia for like 2 weeks. You have no idea how useful your iPhone is until you've been forced to go without.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
As much as I hate to admit it, everything up until college falls into this category for me.
Quote by a_7_x

It's not necessarily girlfriends or the like though, it's every single thing around you, from your legs being able to move, to food, to internet, electricity .. everything gets taken for granted .. take one of these things away people start bitchin.

You can't help taking things for granted though, everyone does it in some way .. I know I take everything for granted .. it's not like I walk around all day praising my batteries or some shit .. I only ever get over-appreciative when I'm stoned or tripping out.
Quote by Blimpy19
It's not necessarily girlfriends or the like though, it's every single thing around you, from your legs being able to move, to food, to internet, electricity .. everything gets taken for granted .. take one of these things away people start bitchin.

You can't help taking things for granted though, everyone does it in some way .. I know I take everything for granted .. it's not like I walk around all day praising my batteries or some shit .. I only ever get over-appreciative when I'm stoned or tripping out.

Yeah - I guess everyone takes things for granted. If I lost my job tomorrow, I'd lose my apartment the next day.

I try my hardest to appreciate, but nobody's capable of that 100%.

But yeah, last year I lost a lot and spent like 9 months barely out my bed so I guess I kind of had to change.
I guess it depends on how important the subject of this quote is to you. I don't think it takes a harsh loss of something you love to teach you that you should've appreciated it; I think it takes someone being aware of what they've got and a simple understanding that nothing is forever.

I've made my share of mistakes, large and small, in life, but I've never once lost something and suddenly thought "Oh, that was valuable to me after all. What a horrid mistake I've made."

If you've got a strong system of values and know yourself, it's not difficult in life to see what's truly important to you.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by edgeyyz
As much as I hate to admit it, everything up until college falls into this category for me.

Quote by L2112Lif
All I will say about this for the moment is to extremely value the life of others over your own everyday. Always try to make sure that if they died all of a sudden, you'd have no reason to feel guilty and that they died happy and on good terms with you and others. Otherwise the grief will be so mucg more.
That was my resolution for 2011: to appreciate life more.

It worked out well, and though I sometimes fail, I still try to stop and look around and appreciate the simple things around me.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I bought some new work shirts the other week so there wasn't as much room in my wardrobe.
I took some of my old shirts in to my class for my kids to use as painting aprons... Today they used them and covered them in gauche paints.
Now I really want those damn shirts back.
/firstworldproblem.
Often, but not always
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Roxxie Roxx
Cinderella are awesome. I was just listening to that song just a few moments ago.

Hell ya man! I just know I'm in the minority when it comes to people liking hair metal, especially in the Pit, so I was expecting a bunch of Cinderella bashing... I'm happily surprised
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.