So the jack where you plug in the cable on my guitar stopped working. I ended up fixing it for a little but it broke again. The wires where the jack connects broke off and they are too short now for me to solder myself, I think I'm gonna need to get it completely rewired. Anyway does anyone have any idea how much that would cost? I need to get a new jack too.
$5?

It's a 2 minute job, max.

Couldn't tell you how much a store will charge but if someone brought that in to me, I would charge a few bucks, if anything at all.
If you take it to a guitar shop, a lot.
If you take it to a proper luthier 20-40 quid.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by Any7423
If you take it to a guitar shop, a lot.
If you take it to a proper luthier 20-40 quid.

Where the **** are you taking your instruments that they'll charge you that much to solder one or two joints? Seriously?

TS: Like 5 bucks max. Maybe 10 if you're going to a particularly stingy shop.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

if i'm paying 40$ for a jack it better not be the kind that goes in my guitar
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Well, you'd need two small lengths of wire (free, if you have some lying around) and a new input jack (between five and ten bucks for a quality one).

It's easy enough to do it yourself. If you take it to a shop, you'll end up spending the same for parts, but probably twice as much for installation.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Feb 3, 2012,
You can probably just use the old wire. All you need is the jack. I just put in a 3 way selector switch in like 3 minutes and I'm tech retarded. Honestly it will take longer unscrewing the jack than soldering it in.
Guitars:
'95 MIM black label strat
'99 MIM telecaster
'05 Squier bullet hardtail
'08 First act me501
80's Hondo II strat copy
Amp:
'94 Peavey Classic 30 w/WGS ET65 + 2x12
Effects:
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
MXR M66 Classic OD
Black Russian Big Muff
i read the title of the thread and thought... whaaaaaa....

Soldiering is easy and the jack has to be the easiest piece to solder a wire to in the whole control cavity...just get you some old parts and a soldiering iron.. look up how to solder on the net.,. and do a bit of practicing.. not hard at all

If was to do it for someone. Id charge $10 or so...
#1 2001 MII Jackson DK-2
#2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire
#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe
#4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson
#5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special
#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
I payed 8 bucks for the jack 4 bucks to have it installed
“More metal than your gran’s left hip.” - Paul Allender on his PRS signature guitar
Quote by Mufassa
i read the title of the thread and thought... whaaaaaa....

Soldiering is easy and the jack has to be the easiest piece to solder a wire to in the whole control cavity...just get you some old parts and a soldiering iron.. look up how to solder on the net.,. and do a bit of practicing.. not hard at all

If was to do it for someone. Id charge $10 or so...

I actually did fix it with solder. But it just broke again now the wire is too short for me to solder it on again.
hmm.. electrical tape.. wire cutters and another piece of wire.. try.. try again..
#1 2001 MII Jackson DK-2
#2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire
#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe
#4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson
#5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special
#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107