So I am a designer and musician working on guitar design and want to know what people look for in guitars. If anyone can help me out I would love some feedback on guitar design. Here are a few questions to start with:
-How old are you and what guitars do you play?
-Why did you choose the guitar you use and what were you looking for in a guitar?
-What would a new guitar need to be successful in your eyes when trying to compete with brands such as Gibson and Fender that have been around so long?
-Would you even consider buying a guitar that is different from the norm?

Add any other info that you think would help is greatly appreciated. answer any and all that you want to. Thanks.
-19, Schecter Solo 6 limited.
-I liked the les paul shape, but wanted something with 24 frets good upper fret access. I really love the inlays, the ebony fretboard, the thickness of the neck...everything! And it was all for a decent price.
-Good value. I'm perfectly fine with smaller companies (I owned an Agile before this) as long as they're good quality and have the specs I'm looking for.
-How different? It gets really subjective here...If we're talking something hardware or wood-wise then as long as it sounds good I'm game, but some of the wacky body styles turn me off.
Quote by TophWard
So I am a designer and musician working on guitar design and want to know what people look for in guitars. If anyone can help me out I would love some feedback on guitar design. Here are a few questions to start with:

I'm 22. As for what I play, I currently have 21 guitars, but the ones I'm using the most are a Suhr Exotic Modern and a CS Jackson Soloist.

Quote by TophWard
-Why did you choose the guitar you use and what were you looking for in a guitar?

I tend to value playability above anything else. Other than that, I chose the ones I have mainly because, well, I like them (in terms of design, specs, sound, etc.).

Quote by TophWard
-What would a new guitar need to be successful in your eyes when trying to compete with brands such as Gibson and Fender that have been around so long?

Well, the fact that they've been around for so long means they have two things you can't compete with: heritage and brand name. Of course, you can always 'fake' this by starting a new brand under an old name (look at Marcos or Bugatti in the car world, for instance).

Ultimately, I think the best thing to go for would be offering something similar to Rasmus guitars. They went for instruments that don't necessarily have the most impressive specs on paper, nor the most over the top designs. What they do have is great quality and reasonable pricing. The challenge is to sell a guitar like that (one that you'd need to try in order to appreciate) in a market where so many people tend to buy online.

Quote by TophWard

Sure, but not for the sake of it being different.

Quote by TophWard
Add any other info that you think would help is greatly appreciated. answer any and all that you want to. Thanks.

Given the huge amount of manufacturers, I'd focus less on competing with established brands and more on coming up with a line of products that makes sense to you. In the end you'll need a strong product to tempt people away from the big name companies and I reckon the best way to do that is not to look at what's already there and then try to fill in the gaps. Rather, start with a blank canvas and don't pay too much attention to what other people are offering.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
-18, Stratocaster and Mustang
-I like the feel of both guitars. They're both very comfortable to play, and I get a nice sound out of them
-Quality of the guitar is a must. I also like my guitars to sound nice without an amp.
-Depends on what your definition of "different" is.

Edit: I'd also like to add that offering left handed guitars would be a plus. They're tough to find lol.
Last edited by Green_Ghoul at Feb 3, 2012,
-19, Fender Telecaster and Epiphone Les Paul Standard with SD pickups
-I like classic designs, and both guitars have an easily recognisable tone from some of the greatest music ever made
-Traditional feature in imaginative combinations. Something like an Explorer shaped guitar with P-90s and a bigsby, or a strat with a set neck and a killswitch
-I would, if it had the right features at the right price. As long as it was different with good reason, not just some idiotic gimmick
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by TophWard

I'm 25 years old. I play a Squier Affinity Strat and a Paul Reed Smith SE Singlecut.

Quote by TophWard

As far as the Squier Strat goes, i wanted an affordable guitar that felt good playing, was nice sounding and reliable.
When i wanted a dual humbucker guitar, i tried lots of guitars, but in the end i chose the PRS Singlecut because it handled clean tones as perfectly as heavy distortion, without sounding muddy as most Les Pauls. Also, it is exceptionally well built and absolutely gorgeous.

Quote by TophWard

A high quality standard. From the beggining to the end of production.
Wood and other materials, hardware, assembly, finish... Attention to detail in everything.
And obviously, meticulous quality checks before shipping the finished product.

Quote by TophWard

Absolutely.

As far as the visual design goes (talking about body & headstock shapes, mainly), i'd stick to basics. Nothing too... flamboyant, if you know what i mean.
For example, try modern interpretations of classic instruments, like the Les Paul, Strat, Tele... Even the Rickenbacker 4001 bass is a good starting point to design a classic-looking guitar.
I suggest you keep the designs simple and clean, with nice, flowing lines.

Hope my opinion helped. Good luck with your project!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
-14, Gibson Les Paul Studio and a Fender Stratocaster.

- I chose the Les Paul cos it felt mazing in my hands and it felt sturdy and high quality. I have huge hands so the the neck is perfect for me, the fender is my brothers but i enjoy using it so i plan on getting one. Although cosmetics like abalone inlays and binding is beautiful, if im paying for that rather than quality then theres no chance im gonna buy the guitar. none of my guitars have sepcial cosmetics but i do plan on getting a Les Paul Standard or PRS in the future.

- They're big names and have a great past. Their guitars are used by many artists and people want to replicate that. The number of people who stand by them shows obvious faith in the fact that every time you buy one of their products itll be of high quality.
In order to compete with them you will need to start from a blank canvas. that doesnt mean make crazy ugly designs, make attractive ones of obvious high quality.

- yup.
-16 years old, Stratocaster and Les Paul.
-I wanted the versatility, so I got the stratocaster first then picked up the les paul shortly after. Also, the simple and effective tremolo system of the strat, as I find that an integral part of my playing.
-Reliable, I don't want to be adjusting something every 30 minutes, or have it break down on me on stage.
-Depends on what exactly the guitar has, but it would certainly interest me.
- 18, Currently my ESP Eclipse and my Kramer Baretta.

- At first i was looking for the Jazzmaster, but found a sweet deal on the ESP so i got it cause it is a wonderful guitar! As for the Kramer i was looking for a guitar with floyd and a slanted humbucker so thats spot on.

Reasonable priced but with good specs, different range of colours, different types of bridges, everyones happy!

-Whats the norm? I guess I were playing indie with my ESP it would be a bit unusual but you should never label an instrument to a genre.
Quote by TophWard

- I'm 19 and I own quite a few guitars. But the one i use the most nowadays is my Gibson Flying V standard.

- The Gibson is one of the best playing and sounding guitars i've ever come across. The '68 Flying V was the first guitar i ever wanted when i first set my eyes on one, when i was a 7 year old boy, watching Metallica for the first time. The rest is history. If i didn't buy that Gibson, i would've regretted it. I want a guitar that has uncompromising playability, quality construction and materials, with a articulate, heavy, dark tone that's rich in sustain and harmonics, amplified and unplugged.
I want something that when i look at it, i makes me want to grab it. I want something that'll withstand decades of gigging and abuse.

- A new guitar manufacturer would need all the qualities i said earlier, but at a cost that people can afford and with flawless quality control. I want a manufacturer that listens to what guitar players actually want and to implement those ideas into their features and designs. Achieving this goal is extremely difficult because guitars are often expensive for a reason. Gibson and Fender have an extremely extensive amount of history and are iconic to the music industry in general. With many famous players, experimenting and innovating new musical ideas with such instruments. People remain loyal to these brands because they design products that people really want.

- Its hard to say what 'the norm' is. It depends on the specific model of guitar i'm looking at too. If a guitar ticks all the boxes as to what i'm looking for in a particular guitar, why not?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 3, 2012,
-17 and I play A Gibson Les Paul studio faded or an Ovation Applause
-at the time I was un educated in the ways of electric guitars but I knew les pauls were supposed to be good so O tried a few and mine just flet right in every way, plus I love the unflashy faded finish
-a new guitar would have to sound good, be comfortable, be built properly, be innovative, and look good but not flashy
-sure i would buy a different gyitar but only if it sounded best
I'M FAT!!!!
Quote by Linkerman
For example, try modern interpretations of classic instruments, like the Les Paul, Strat, Tele... Even the Rickenbacker 4001 bass is a good starting point to design a classic-looking guitar.

This, look at the Reverend Warhawk II HB, very similar to a jaguar, jazzmaster type of shape but with a reverse headstock and the raised center. Give a classic design a modern take, combine that with the quality build and the specs it has and you have a great guitar. I have always love the jaguar shape, but I would probably end up buying the Reverend over the Jaguar because its different from what everyone else has while still being familiar.

GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback