hi i am in need of help i have a richwood les paul copy with a mahogany body with a set mahogany neck and rosewood fingerboard i play stuff like nirvana metallica ac/dc and some led zepplin. i still have stock pups in and love the neck pickup but the bridge pup isnt very good i am thinking of a seymour duncan jb or a dimarzio superdistortion. does anyone have any other suggestions or experience with the pickups.

i have fender frontman 15r amp but am thinking of getting a blackstar ht-1 valve amp
cos the fender isnt that good
Quote by halfj06
Bridge might sound better with a better amp

This. First get a proper good amp and then, if you still think that the pickups sound bad, think about getting new ones.
I know percentages are frowned upon, but it's a really good way to make a good analogy. Pickups are like 20% of your tone, The actual guitar is like 10%, and the amp is the other 70%.

Pickups are mainly for fine tuning your sound, getting you where you want to be on the field once you're already in the ballpark.

You won't know if you're in the ballpark or not until you have the amp. The amp should give you the tone you want - pickups and pedals are for really nailing exactly what you want to sound like.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^^^+1 i will say that frontman series is a very muddy sounding distorted amp because i have the 212. a lot of times this amp seems too clean or muddy are virtually no in between. u could even get like a used valveking or something cheap and it will sound much better. a bad guitar can sound okay through a great amp and even a great guitar through a junky amp is going to sound junky. gibson through a raven for example. ^ make sense could be pickups but prob not.
Quote by DON HARRISON
hi i am in need of help i have a richwood les paul copy with a mahogany body with a set mahogany neck and rosewood fingerboard i play stuff like nirvana metallica ac/dc and some led zepplin. i still have stock pups in and love the neck pickup but the bridge pup isnt very good i am thinking of a seymour duncan jb or a dimarzio superdistortion. does anyone have any other suggestions or experience with the pickups.

i have fender frontman 15r amp but am thinking of getting a blackstar ht-1 valve amp
cos the fender isnt that good

1 - You already have a thread for this.

2 - Save your money and get a new amp, the money that you would spend on the pickup change would be wasted through either of those amps. I love my HT-1 but it's not the most responsive amp in the world and you'd be better off waiting until you've got a better set up.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thnx 4 replies I aren't in a band and only practice at home so would it be worth getting the ht-1 instead of a massive stack or something cause my guitar teacher has 1 and it sounds awesome but he also has a set of dimarzio superdistortions in his guitar and we play the same style of music and I want the same tone as that so what do u guys think
Did you know that your keyboard has a key that creates periods?

Dimarzio SD is a nice pickup for the bridge but it sounds like hell doing cleans. I had one in my Alder Strat for a week or two but I took it back to exchange for a CrunchLab. It may sound a little more balanced in a Mahogany body but all in all it's not a very versatile pickup. It has that name for a reason.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by itamar100
This. First get a proper good amp and then, if you still think that the pickups sound bad, think about getting new ones.

I'll go with that and c how it goes cheers
Quote by cdr_salamander
Did you know that your keyboard has a key that creates periods?

Dimarzio SD is a nice pickup for the bridge but it sounds like hell doing cleans. I had one in my Alder Strat for a week or two but I took it back to exchange for a CrunchLab.

Did the crunch lab sound any good cos next project will be putting a humbucker in the bridge of my alder bodied strat
Last edited by DON HARRISON at Feb 4, 2012,