hi everyone, i am having trouble in that my index finger is not flat on the string, when i do warm ups my finger is sort of rolled over on its side, i take my time and slowly build up speed but its not right, i did injure the tendons in my left hand many years ago and find it hard to stretch my ring finger away from my middle finger, i do practice but i seem to be getting nowhere. This is from the 1st fret F, from A its not to bad but it is holding me back as i sometimes hit the lower string, i have a strat copy which i find easier to play then my lp copy so the scale length is not the problem, i am after a new guitar but i want to sort out my fingertip problem first or should i just adjust my playing and carry on, i'm at my wits end, can anyone help, thanks.
I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but ideally, your left hand should look something like this...

http://daystarvisions.com/Music/Left_hand_1-labelled-sz600x575.jpg

...Or else be in the 'baseball bat' grip form.

It's normal and good for your index finger to be 'rolled' slightly to the side as in the picture. And most people struggle with spreading the ring finger away from the middle finger: it's just a difficult thing to do in any relaxed fashion.

Don't buy another guitar just yet!
thanks for the reply and photo, thats what i'm talking about, looks like more practice and strengthening my hand, thanks.
Quote by SideshowBob180
I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but ideally, your left hand should look something like this...

http://daystarvisions.com/Music/Left_hand_1-labelled-sz600x575.jpg

...Or else be in the 'baseball bat' grip form.

It's normal and good for your index finger to be 'rolled' slightly to the side as in the picture. And most people struggle with spreading the ring finger away from the middle finger: it's just a difficult thing to do in any relaxed fashion.

Don't buy another guitar just yet!

Just a little correction, idealy the thumb goes perpendicular to the neck, behind the middle finger.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Quote by Slashiepie
perpendicular

TS, check YouTube for a video where Joe Satch shows his warm up techniques. If I remember correctly, there's a section on it where he shows how to build up finger independence.
I broke my pinky and this excersize helped in the rehabilitation process immensely.

I'd embed the link but I'm on my phone.....
Last edited by brownshirt1 at Feb 5, 2012,
Quote by GRENGINE
thanks for the reply and photo, thats what i'm talking about, looks like more practice and strengthening my hand, thanks.

I wouldn't worry over much - with electric guitar you want your index finger slightly flat and angled, so that it mutes unwanted strings.
Make sure your pinky comes down on the string like a nice little hammer, or you're not doing vibrato anytime soon on the pinky.
Unless you're doing insane stretches like a 1-7
It's spelled wiener.