I was just curious... where do most musicians post their music online? Are there any good sites that exclusively promote music?
Today, youtube, facebook and reverbnation seem to have the strangle hold on band networking.

You still need to do the promoting yourself, but reverbnation is almost exclusively music related. Like a modern, much improved myspace.

For examples of ways to promote your band through media, take a look at my band's link:
www.fadetooblivion.com

We utilize most means of promotion and do it all ourselves. It's decently effective but one still needs to do real leg work.

Good luck!
Quote by merriman44
Today, youtube, facebook and reverbnation seem to have the strangle hold on band networking.

The big 3^^^

Just remember likes or fans on websites have little to do with actual success. Song sales and people coming to gigs determine that.

You need an online presence of course, but don't rely on it to be your sole or main source of promotion.
My solo project is currently promoted in the following places:

Bandcamp - The source of my sales/releases - about 2,500 plays on there.

Facebook - The biggie for fanbase collection, telling them news, etc.

Soundcloud - Not really used that much, just an alternate format.

Youtube - I've uploaded some videos and some fans have too - I have about 2000 plays on it.

Last.fm - Someone had registered my band on there, I proceeded to upload my music to it - I'll get royalties off it now (about 1,500 plays).

Routenote - digital distribution service with no sign-up fee.. Just used it so my music will filter through to things like Spotify and iTunes. Not been signed up for long so can't really report from that.

In my opinion the vital services you need to stay active and engaged with are Facebook, YouTube, Bandcamp. If you have a decent fanbase, try and get a Last.fm page set up and running too.

I've not yet got a band sorted for the music (it's in my sig), but I've got another two guitarists and a bassist interested. We just need a drummer then we're going to try and convert some internet momentum into actual, real-life success! Easy.

Hope this helps, just a personal account of internet promotion since September '11.
Yeah, Facebook is the one site you must use for promotion. Most bands have a tab on the page dedicated to music. You can use BandPage, ReverbNation, or even Bandcamp for that tab.

Haven't used it but I have noticed maybe independent musicians use Bandcamp for selling MP3's. It's pretty nice cause you can download in a crapton of formats, or just stream the track.

Once you start playing shows and getting out there, and if your target audience are either high school girls or hipsters, create a Tumblr for the band and link it up to Instagram so you can show off retro style pictures taken on your super modern iPhone.
I have all of the above but I think it is essential to have ones own website. I have a self hosted Wordpress one. It's easy to build and you add all your links to whatever 3rd party site you want.
Quote by Gerbs
My solo project is currently promoted in the following places:

Bandcamp - The source of my sales/releases - about 2,500 plays on there.

Facebook - The biggie for fanbase collection, telling them news, etc.

Soundcloud - Not really used that much, just an alternate format.

Youtube - I've uploaded some videos and some fans have too - I have about 2000 plays on it.

Last.fm - Someone had registered my band on there, I proceeded to upload my music to it - I'll get royalties off it now (about 1,500 plays).

Routenote - digital distribution service with no sign-up fee.. Just used it so my music will filter through to things like Spotify and iTunes. Not been signed up for long so can't really report from that.

How many people come to your gigs? How much money have you made?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
How many people come to your gigs? How much money have you made?

I said in my first post that I'm still trying to get my band together. I just need to get a drummer interested and then I should be ok to actually gig.

So yeah, at the moment, these numbers are just arbitrary. I can't give them any weight with a real-life backing (however much I'd like to). Having said that, I've had some degree of virality with my work; there are music blogs out there in a few different countries that have made a post on my album (check this link). I've contacted a few myself too.

EDIT: with regards to money, my takings currently stand at £71.25. Not a lot, but it's 70 quid for no cost (I recorded my album in a friend's bedroom), so all of it is profit. You could easily make that much, or more, in one to a few gigs depending on how successful your band is though (although if I was successful and gigging I'm sure I would see an increase in that sales money too, along with CDs sold, etc.).
Last edited by Gerbs at Feb 7, 2012,
^^^ Hey it's a start though, good to have a little cash there. But I'm yet to see the internet numbers translate directly into people coming to gigs (without major financial backing).
Soundcloud
I agree. I've seen it before with Facebook events for other bands I've been in, about 1/3 of the people turn up (the 'Facebook constant', as we dubbed it).. Hopefully I can build a solid base between the two, real life and the internet, once I get a drummer on board. I'd like to see something less.. ethereal!
Quote by Gerbs
I agree. I've seen it before with Facebook events for other bands I've been in, about 1/3 of the people turn up (the 'Facebook constant', as we dubbed it)..

1/3? That's pretty good! I've seen closer to, err, well 1/6 with my own bands. The absolute worst I've seen is around 1,500 likes, and maybe 7 people showing so that's 0.4% = 1/250?
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
1/3? That's pretty good! I've seen closer to, err, well 1/6 with my own bands. The absolute worst I've seen is around 1,500 likes, and maybe 7 people showing so that's 0.4% = 1/250?

Yea for real, I'm thinking around that 1/5 to 1/6 mark as well. And only once can I remember ever having about half the people show up, and that was the largest show I've played to at around 300. Never all lol