1: Should I change the strings the guitar comes with? I.e. are they cheap and nasty?

2: What guage strings does an LP use? 10s?

Thanks

Ash
The strings guitars usually come with aren't cheap or anything, but they're probably old. So i would change them.

The gauge of string you use depends on your tuning as well. i typically use 10's if i'm in standard tuning, but there's no set rule.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
I use standard tuning. I have a Strat clone and I use 9s on that, as it's easier to fret. I wondered if 9s might be too light for the shorter scale LP?
Experiment. There's no right or wrong gauge to use necessarily and strings are so cheap you may as well.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
the gauge of string you use depends on how much tension you want in the strings really - heavier gauges will give you more tension when tuned to the same pitch as lighter strings.

you can use whatever gauge strings you want so long as the guitar is set up to handle it, but if it ain't broke don't fix it. if you're happy with how the guitar plays there's no need to change to a different string gauge.

it's likely to be 10s that come as standard on an epi les paul, but i'm not 100% sure. you could always get a local shop to measure the string gauge for you. it shouldn't cost you anything other than a little bit of time you might not necessarily be using for anything else
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Whatever strings suit you best is what you use. I use 52-10s in standard tuning but famously BB King and Billy Gibbons use 7s. It's a matter of opinion.
I got 9's on all my guitars... I buy them by the case..

2 Les Pauls
1 Strat
1 Tele
1 Epi Riviera w/Bigsby Tremelo...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
I run 9's on both my Gibson and my Epihone Les Pauls. I also use them on my Jackson. Strings are more of a personal choice. I've been using D'addario XL120's for 20+ years. I try new ones eery so often and go right back....nobody can tell you what you are going to like. If you run 9's on your strat you will probably like 9's on your LP.
My Gear:

Jackson RR3 Pro
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender CD140 Acoustic/Electric
Line 5 HD500 effects unit
Marshall MA100

"Grunge was invented for people who can't play solos"
agree with the above. do you like the feel of the strings that are on the LP right now? If so, take it to a store and buy strings of the same gauge. there's a bunch of different brands ( a whole nother can of worms there...) and if you don't like one, you can just switch each time.

Just don't forget that if you do change the string gauge, you have to adjust the intonation. But it's fairly easy to do so long as you don't have a Floyd Rose.