Hey all!

I am getting a new guitar soon, an agile interceptor pro 828 (link: http://www.rondomusic.com/interceptorpro828ebtribalgreen.html)

It comes with EMG 808 pick ups, so here come my question.

Are these pickups good for many styles? Cause i will mostly play metal on it but i also intend to play some jazz/jazz fusion and make some arrangements of classical music. So i was wondering if i should stick with these or if you know any other 8 string guitar pick ups that is better fitted for what i am intending to play.

Thanks!
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Well, to my knowledge EMGs were originally made FOR jazz, so I think you should be fine for that. Now, as for classical stuff I'm not 100%, but my Schecter's got EMGs(85 bridge and 81 neck, I'm gonna swap them for passives when I get the cash as I'm not too apt on them, but I digress), and with both pickups on/neck pickup only they give off passable cleans. Not as acoustic-sounding as I'd like, but eh, they don't distort like I've heard some people say they do.

To be honest, though, there's not much in the way of 8-string pickups out there anyways. The only DiMarzios 8-string pups are the D Activators, which are designed for metal in the same vein as EMGs, and to my knowledge the only 8-string Duncans are Blackouts, which are definitely geared towards heavy stuff. You could get custom pups if you really wanted, I guess, but the 808s are pretty much as good as it gets, I would think. xD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Well, they're probably as good as it gets in terms of actives but Bare Knuckle Pickups (passives) do all their humbuckers in 8 string versions with handy application guides for each, but they are fairly expensive..... Worth it though
most styles tend to be played on a 6-string

just putting that out there

i mean if you want an 8-string, have at it, but if versatility is your main priority...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The EMG's will be perfectly fine, as long as you have an amp that will allow you to work with them and really let their true potential shine.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Dave_Mc

i mean if you want an 8-string, have at it, but if versatility is your main priority...

Just putting it out there, that was a terrible post.
Animals as leaders is a prime example of versatility on an 8 string and tosin's a well studied jazz 8 string player.

The 808's will do great for you, alternatively look at 808x's or bareknuckles if you do want to change them out.
EMGs will be reat for jazz as they are very clean pickups..
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
they're awesome for jazz. back off the volume a little bit and roll off the tone and you can get an absolutely wonderful jazz tone out of them
Thanks for the help guys!
Really great.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
Quote by Dave_Mc

Sorry for not being clear.
Many of my favorite artists play 7-8 string guitars. (Animals as leaders, Periphery, Meshuggah etc) And i personally love the sound of the 8 string guitar when it is put to good use.

I'm not getting it just because "Hey, let's have an 8 string!" it's more of "I like the sound of it, many of my inspirations use it and i want to explore to possibilities of it.

Quote by Guthrie Govan

Quote by Chick Corea
Quote by tofuhead
Just putting it out there, that was a terrible post.
Animals as leaders is a prime example of versatility on an 8 string and tosin's a well studied jazz 8 string player.

The 808's will do great for you, alternatively look at 808x's or bareknuckles if you do want to change them out.

If you consider a guitar versatile if it's good for jazz and djent ...
There is a multitude of tones between crystal clean and br00t4lz highgain.

Both EMGs and 8-strings aren't exactly what I would consider versatile.
How many people do you know who buy an 8-string to play Hendrix, Deep Purple and Slayer? Not to say you can't, but more often than not you are going for a Djent guitar if you buy an 8-string.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Sickz
Sorry for not being clear.
Many of my favorite artists play 7-8 string guitars. (Animals as leaders, Periphery, Meshuggah etc) And i personally love the sound of the 8 string guitar when it is put to good use.

I'm not getting it just because "Hey, let's have an 8 string!" it's more of "I like the sound of it, many of my inspirations use it and i want to explore to possibilities of it.

no worries, as long as you know what you're doing, that's great

Quote by JesusCrisp
If you consider a guitar versatile if it's good for jazz and djent ...
There is a multitude of tones between crystal clean and br00t4lz highgain.

Both EMGs and 8-strings aren't exactly what I would consider versatile.
How many people do you know who buy an 8-string to play Hendrix, Deep Purple and Slayer? Not to say you can't, but more often than not you are going for a Djent guitar if you buy an 8-string.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?