So, I'm studying in Australia next semester at UNSW. Now, I was looking at prepaid phone options, specifically at Optus and Vodaphone. It seems like Optus is a little more expensive, but is this because there is better coverage?

Also, it works slightly different than here in the US. So my understanding is this: let's say you recharge for $30, then they would give you like $300 worth of credit and then charge you certain rates for calls, texts, etc.? is that the basic gist?

So do any of you guys use prepaid phones from these companies? What recharge plans do you usually use? Also anything I should know about coverage problems or anything like that?

All help is appreciated, thanks!
[]
Coverage sucks outside of populated areas regardless of who your with.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
telstra provides the best service in the country, hands down. vodafone has had massive problems. optus should be fine around UNSW, as its close to the CBD. and yes, your understanding of our prepaid thang is correct a text message i usually 25c, and the charge for a call will vary with provider.
Quote by MrChief
tbh i wanted to watch 2 girls one cup , and the website i clicked on was totally corrupt.

and the video was sick.

Current gear:
Slash Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Hiwatt G50R
BOSS ME-50
Quote by jambi_mantra
Coverage sucks outside of populated areas regardless of who your with.

This. Although being at UNSW you shouldn't worry about that. I've heard that either Vodafone, or Virgin has terrible reception/coverage problems, can't remember which it was. Optus/Telstra are the best I think.
"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis; you can't trust people."
Quote by LesThanPaul
So, I'm studying in Australia next semester at UNSW. Now, I was looking at prepaid phone options, specifically at Optus and Vodaphone. It seems like Optus is a little more expensive, but is this because there is better coverage?

Also, it works slightly different than here in the US. So my understanding is this: let's say you recharge for $30, then they would give you like $300 worth of credit and then charge you certain rates for calls, texts, etc.? is that the basic gist?

So do any of you guys use prepaid phones from these companies? What recharge plans do you usually use? Also anything I should know about coverage problems or anything like that?

Yeah, that's basically how it works. The coverage is fine. Voda for sure.
UNSW is my uni
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by LesThanPaul

Yeah, that's basically how it works. The coverage is fine. Voda for sure.
UNSW is my uni
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Optus 3G sucks mother ****ing balls. Vodafone is apparently using the same network as Optus. After my plan finishes with Optus I'm going Telstra. You pay more, but you get what you pay for.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Telstra is the best by far in Australia. Their 3G is second to none, their coverage is leagues ahead of Optus, 3, and Vodafone, and their rewards programs save you a ton of money.

People like to hate on Telstra, but they are definitely the best mobile provider.
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
Quote by awesome-o
telstra provides the best service in the country, hands down. vodafone has had massive problems. optus should be fine around UNSW, as its close to the CBD. and yes, your understanding of our prepaid thang is correct a text message i usually 25c, and the charge for a call will vary with provider.

This.
Vodafone has really shit coverage. Although apparently they are investing a shit tonne of money to improve it.
Optus isn't that bad, but telstra is better.
RIP Gooze

cats
I've heard mostly bad things from friends who are with Vodafone.

I'd go with Optus or Virgin. Virgin use the Optus tower so they will have the same coverage (at least in Sydney).

The way credit works here (at least as far as I know) is if you buy a $30 recharge then you get $30 credit. You'd only get a $300 credit for $30 deal if you were on a monthly plan.
I used to use vodaphone. I had a $49 recharge cap, got a few hundred bucks of credit aswell as hour of free vodaphone to vodaphone. Vodaphone easily the best.
I have prepaid vodaphone on a $ 30 recharge, I get 'free ' minutes but that is only voda to voda for the cost of a text, which on the 365 day plan is a lot.
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
I've got an Optus $30 for 28 days recharge.
Works fine for me! I get unlimited text, social networking, eBay, 500mb or data for whatever, plus you can spend the $30 on songs in the Optus webstore which is pretty cool.
Most people I know wouldn't spend the $250 on phone calls a month anyway
Telstra has 1c text

But I live in the country (Tassie represent ) and Telstra is the only way to go out here. When I travel to Richmond the reception is also great so I'd say Tesltra.
Eh. I'm getting a new phone soon. I'll be using vodafone. Apparently it's pretty good. Telstra sucks.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by nathan:-)
I've got an Optus $30 for 28 days recharge.
Works fine for me! I get unlimited text, social networking, eBay, 500mb or data for whatever, plus you can spend the $30 on songs in the Optus webstore which is pretty cool.
Most people I know wouldn't spend the $250 on phone calls a month anyway

This. Optus would be the way to go for you.

Telstra has 1c text, but it's only telstra to telstra and is best when you're in the countryside, like me

Vodafone,virgin and 3 are so bad in Australia it's not funny.
Seriously, don't bother with Voda and Optus. Just go Telstra, it'll save you headaches in the long run. I smashed my phone because my reception was so shit and my 3G kept cutting out on Optus. Yes I have an anger issue but that's not the ****ing point!
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer