I need to explain a little bit where Im coming from so that you`d understand what,how and why.
Im 19 now. As a kid, my parents forced to take up piano lessons.I dropped that off pretty quickly because of teacher-she was just that stiff-dry theory lady but I could figure out how to play theme songs of my favourite cartoons by ear.

So 3 years ago I got drums for my birthday.I picked it pretty fast and also learned how to play it by ear. I wanted to get better so picked up a teacher-started all that note crap so I ditched him and continued playing by ear. Everythings fine there, got my band,playing gigs and usual stuff.Getting pretty nice compliments about my playing.

So last May I bought an electric guitar-something that was coming for a long time-whenever I could I picked up guitar and kinda toyed with it.

So this is where the actual problem starts.
Up until this point I could play by ear.I could just sorta feel where the right notes lie.Got my hand technique in decent state.But when I play guitar, I have no f^*@!ng clue what Im doing .
I mean I know whats an A chord,C chord,D chord and thats about it.And the only scale I know is chromatic-just to warm up fingers before playing.

Now Ive watched/read all these articles and videos but they are all damn confusing and each of them tell things that often contradict.
Its just that my brain cant go in to that mathematical direction of music.

I do want to know why scales exist, how they work, how key signatures work. How scales are tied together with chords and key signatures. Why this and that should be played.

So thats where Im stuck-it might seem totally stupid of me but I really dont know where to go.I dont want to just drill all the information and not understand why and how.So thats what Im asking- a right direction- where to start and where to go.
I do see some logic between last note before scale and stuff but thats it.

Thank you.
Sorry for messy text, been awake for 18 hours.
Try the Lessons section of UG, it has some great beginner theory lessons.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Why not just buy a book on music theory, or do some searching online?
There are plenty of places to start - learn the notes on the stave, learn the musical alphabet (A,Ab/G# etc), learn what a half step is or what a whole step is.

Learn what a crotchet or a quaver is - learn time signatures.
Learn how to construct a major scale and then how to harmonize it to make chords.

etc, etc, etc.
I'd actually opt to learn more chords first. All open chords and barre chords and songs which use them. That way you have something to play before being bogged down by theory.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Myshadow46_2
Start having lessons again.

Im that kinda of person that if you start spoon-feeding me Im addicted to it.I just stop thinking.

Ive got no problems with learning but most of lessons dont explain WHY, they explain HOW TO do this and that.

How scales are constructed, why do they work like that, the logical evolution of songs.
When I look at song I want to get in to its writers mind and understand how and furthermost why did he this and that.Modes and stuff.

Thank you anyway.

Ill guess Ill start learning more chords.
Btw Im more in to hard-rock music.TCV is the stuff I dig most.I just love all those arrangments and just mood of it.Songs like Daffodils,Mind Eraser,Warsaw.
Of course Zepp,Floyd its all there.
Ive actually tabbed out quite a few songs by myself and them compared mine to those on ProTab and its almost precise.But when it comes to analyzing why...dead end.
Try the lessons an exercise sections of musictheory.net.
Scales exist because of the way the universe is, it's just the natural harmony if the universe and it sounds pleasing to the ear ha.

But there is a method you can use to make a scale.
It falls into half and whole steps, the steps between notes

The order it goes in is (w w h w w w h)

So if you start on a c you go a whole step up to a d. From a d you go a whole step up to an e. A half step above an e is f. And you continue, a whole step up is g and then another whole step is a and and a whole step up from that is b. Another half step brigs you back around to the starting note, though it's an octave higher.

The reason there is a half step between e and f an it's not an fb is bc e and f and b and c are the two places a naturally occurring half step is. On a keyboard it's the two white keys not separated by a black key.

There's also a mathematical process to building chords. You just use the interval fors building chords. The most common chords are triads. They contain 3 notes, hence the tri part

You take the 1st 3rd and 5th interval to build a major triad.
So you look back to your scale, which is c.

Btw c is referenced the most because it contains no accidentals, those are sharps and flats.

So your scale is C D E F G A B (C)

The first interval us C
If you count to the third interval you,ll get E
And two steps up above that is your 5th, which is G

Does that make sense?

Some people are confused bc a c chord on the guitar is played over more than 3 strings, it's the same 3 notes, they're just repeated.

Does this make sense?

Use that sight though, it's a really great tool.

Let me know how you feel about this and we,ll work on more stuff.

I hope this is good, I'm working as a student teacher right now, I'm just not that good at explaining shit haha

And about key signatures, I'm not sure if I said, their purpose is to notify the musician what key they're in. So there's no sharps to identify the key of c

But if you were in the key of d you would find two sharps on the staff since there are two sharps in the key of d.
We use accidentals to change the value of the notes, so that you fit in that equation of whole and half steps I mentioned earlier
A D scale looks like this D E F# G A B C# (D)
So you'll have two sharps on the staff.

Since their are no sharps, there are no sharps in the key signature.
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Oops I can't edit ha, but that last part at the end is I'm regards to the C scale lol.

But if you want o get into someones mind, you have to also understand that theory was invented by man and given a name by man. Music still exists if we ignore the science and most musicians make music without theory in mind and some are even proudly ignorant of theory.
Theory is meant to be learned so you can break the rules and if something is theoretically ignorant or incorrect but it sounds good that's all that matters.
But it is good to be able to dissect it and say this is why this sounds this way

That's not to say you shouldn't lean theory or that it will hurt your music.
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
You wanting to know the why about music instead of the how to is similiar to wanting to know why gravity works the way it does before knowing it's effects.
Also, don't call it "note crap", an attitude like that isn't beneficial for the study of music.
You more or less need to adjust your outlook before you would be able to move forward. I know basic theory sounds like, "what'll I ever need that for", pretty much like high school algebra. But then all of a sudden, the need to know it, (music theory), rears its ugly head and bites you in the ass.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 3, 2012,
Quote by Elderer
Im that kinda of person that if you start spoon-feeding me Im addicted to it.I just stop thinking.

Ive got no problems with learning but most of lessons dont explain WHY, they explain HOW TO do this and that.

How scales are constructed, why do they work like that, the logical evolution of songs.
When I look at song I want to get in to its writers mind and understand how and furthermost why did he this and that.Modes and stuff.

Thank you anyway.

Ill guess Ill start learning more chords.
Btw Im more in to hard-rock music.TCV is the stuff I dig most.I just love all those arrangments and just mood of it.Songs like Daffodils,Mind Eraser,Warsaw.
Of course Zepp,Floyd its all there.
Ive actually tabbed out quite a few songs by myself and them compared mine to those on ProTab and its almost precise.But when it comes to analyzing why...dead end.

Take some time to read through and absorb these articles

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?value=crusade&search_type=columns

And if you're really serious about learning more about understanding music, the hows and whys of it, then take the time to watch through this series of videos...sadly one or two of them have been taken down I think but they're still a goldmine of information. There's 4 episodes in total - Melody, Harmony, Rhythm and Bass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnbOWi6f_IM
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Captaincranky
You more or less need to adjust your outlook before you would be able to move forward. I know basic theory sounds like, "what'll I ever need that for", pretty much like high school algebra. But then all of a sudden, the need to know it, (music theory), rears its ugly head and bites you in the ass.

Thats my motivation. I hate theoryzing art(music) but without technique-whether that be theoretical or technical- I dont think Ill get far.

Thank you for understand and help.Much appreciated.