Page 1 of 2
Which do you prefer? If any.

Do they produce different sounds, or do they sound about the same?

I like the way the strats look but I like the telecasters just as much after going today and looking at them at guitar center.
nah they do sound different

same ballpark but definitely different
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I like the way a tele feels better.. the contoured body is just not my cup of tea.. plus i never used the middle pickup.. and my nephew thought my strat was a guitar hero toy
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Teles are wayyyyy mo twangy.
I prefer strats.

Same.

Well the guitar centers in my area naturally don't have the guitar I want, which would mean I have to wait a week before they arrive if I ordered it, really dont want to do that. But I also dont want to get a guitar just because I can't wait.

I may order off of amazon, anybody ever order off of amazon before?
It depends on the specific guitar, I like fat strats and humbucking tele's better than the originals, but for the single coil versions it's stratocaster by a mile, they're much more versatile, and have less issues with feed-back
Apples and Oranges...

I like both... But they sound and feel completely different... Looking to add a Tele back to my stable because of it's differences...

A Telecaster is simplistic perfection.. 2 single coil pickups and a 3 way switch...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
My tele is the hardest metal sounding guitar I have, with a Dimarzio tele distortion pickup in the bridge, but it looks so country, it just doesn't make sense. Narrow neck and fat, busted up- fingers make it hard for me to play lead with it, much easier on my strats, but it is still all in what you put into it that you will get out of it. Find what feels best and easiest for you to play and modify it to fit your needs. That is what I did. My go to is a Highway 1 modified with seymour duncans and locking tuners, but it is still hard to put down that screaming Tele!!
If you were me, you would just buy both!!
Fender guitars and Fender and Peavy amps...
Need I say more???
Quote by Papabear505
Apples and Oranges...

I like both... But they sound and feel completely different... Looking to add a Tele back to my stable because of it's differences...

A Telecaster is simplistic perfection.. 2 single coil pickups and a 3 way switch...

I dont mean to call you out but my biggest pet peeve is when people say "Apples and Oranges"

Look, people are going to compare things. I'll never understand why people think this is some how illegal. Would you feel better if I said Blue Strat vs Blue Strat?

Cmon guy, seriously.
They definitely sound different. But, they do make extremely versatile project guitars. I prefer Strat.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by GKDAIR
I dont mean to call you out but my biggest pet peeve is when people say "Apples and Oranges"

Look, people are going to compare things. I'll never understand why people think this is some how illegal. Would you feel better if I said Blue Strat vs Blue Strat?

Cmon guy, seriously.

I could have used Bulldozers and Baseball bats... My intent was to show that they are completely different guitars that are going to create completely different sounds and that having a preference over one or the other is like saying “I like tennis rackets over golf clubs” and they’re similar because they’re both made by Wilson.

My biggest pet peeve is when somebody comes on here and asks for an OPINION then bitches about it when it doesn’t say what they think it should have… I didn’t flame, I didn’t troll, I simply stated that the guitars are quite different, then stated a fact that a Telecaster is 2 single coils and a 3 way switch.

Why didn’t you "play" the guitars at Guitar Center instead of just “looking” at them? If you had, you could have developed your own opinion instead of coming on here, throwing out a sentence asking for an opinion, then blasting those opinions when you get them. Do your own homework and then figure out what tools you need and go get them.

I’m sorry if I “offended” your delicate sensibilities by offering my “opinion”. Go spend your money on what you want…
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
I have both a Fender American Standard Strat and a Tele. Yes, they're different. No, I don't think they're the same. Soundwise, or feel-wise. Similar, yes - but not the same.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
They deff sound diffrent, but I'll thak a Tele anyday over a strat. I have 2 teles in my collection and not 1 strat.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
teles feel a bit more clunky but the sound has a lot more "balls" imo - the bridge pickup is definitely thicker sounding anyway. strat bridge pickups are a bit on the thin side for my liking, i've never found a strat with a bridge pickup sound i would actually want to use for anything, but i gig with a tele all the time.

but it's a matter of opinion, some people like the feel of the tele better, some like the sound of the strat better. are they different? yes, very different, but in a similar sort of way.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Personal preference.

Also, no versus threads. Read the rules.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
they are different enough to be noticed. i prefer the strat myself and never found a tele i could bond with. both great guitars though. the pickups are different for sure and yield different results. a tele neck pup has a nice sound but to my ears the strat's has a better tone. a tele bridge pup does seem to have a little more balls (stock) but you can certainly get ballsier sound strat pups for the bridge to make up the difference.
Comparing them in their classic configurations,

Strats offer a little more tonal versatility, many find them a little more comfortable. Some find the bridge pickup a little too shrill, but I have most of mine rewired to one of the tone pots.

Teles IMO, more then any other guitar, can take the most gain before getting muddy and losing clear note definition. They shine in live band settings, cutting through the mix with their distinctive sound.

I mostly play clean or with just a little gain, so I usually play a strat, but I like em both.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Last edited by BlackbirdPie at Feb 4, 2012,
^that's the best way to put it I think.

I like strats for rhythm and the neck and middle pickups. I also prefer a strat clean or with a little bit of gain for chords.

But there isn't really anything out there quite like a telecaster bridge pickup. A telecaster is naturally twangy because of it's bridge, but a tele bridge pickup is typically much hotter than a strat pickup and when used with a little more gain, it just has an amazing distorted lead sound. It's bright, cutting, but still full and fat.
Quote by BlackbirdPie

Teles IMO, more then any other guitar, can take the most gain before getting muddy and losing clear note definition.

wait what?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Strat= blues
Tele= country
"When the power of love over comes the love of power the world will know peace."
~Jimi Hendrix
My favourite guitar is the Fender 70's Telecaster Deluxe
Les Paul Style Electronic
Strat Body Contours and neck
Telecaster Shape.
I think that's the only Telecaster that I like. Deryck Whibley Telecaster, because I play Pop Punk. Squier Telecaster Custom 1 and 2.

That's about it. I do prefer strats more, superstrats and les pauls. Don't really care for SG, unless it's an ESP LTD
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
Strat = blues
Tele = country

Yeah, play blues on a Tele and the universe will implode.

A guitar can cover more than one genre, you know?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Yeah, play blues on a Tele and the universe will implode.

A guitar can cover more than one genre, you know?

Just calling it how most people see it mate, I know what you mean though. Fender guitars are very versatile, but I'm more of a strat man.
"When the power of love over comes the love of power the world will know peace."
~Jimi Hendrix
Best of both worlds, IMO.

Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by barden1069
Best of both worlds, IMO.

I agree.

Stacked Humbuckers...
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
Strat= blues
Tele= country

Shhhhh.... Don't tell Johnny Lang or Donald "Duck" Dunn.....
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
LOVE teles, not a fan of certain strats, especially ones with rosewood fretboards. Teles are way more versetile IMO and do their job betterm, and feel better.
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
Just calling it how most people see it mate, I know what you mean though. Fender guitars are very versatile, but I'm more of a strat man.
Who are most people? Noobs who are obsessed with typecasting guitars to simplify things?

No one who knows anything about guitars would ever see it that way and the rest of the general public who knows nothing about guitars have no idea what a stratocaster or telecaster is.
You're in luck... I just played both today at a guitar center, so I'm a bit of an expert . Just kidding. But seriously, JakePlaysGuitar is absolutely right, Tele= Countryish Rock, Strat= Blues/ Classic Rock
(Tele= Kieth Urban. Strat= Eric Clapton)
Good Luck!
Quote by MrBhopps
You're in luck... I just played both today at a guitar center, so I'm a bit of an expert . Just kidding. But seriously, JakePlaysGuitar is absolutely right, Tele= Countryish Rock, Strat= Blues/ Classic Rock
Good Luck!

So I guess Tom Morello is a Countryish Rock player now?
Quote by op4blushift
So I guess Tom Morello is a Countryish Rock player now?

He is both a Strat and Tele Player, which means he is both blues and country, but still not the funk rock/metal-player people think he is.

Strats and Teles are used in blues, funk, jazz, soul, R'n'B, country, classic rock, blues rock, hard rock, punk, pop, hair metal, many other metal genres (mostly with humbuckers), shred, alternative, and so on...

Teles are just as versatile, still both give great tones and are used in a multitude of genres. "Teles are Country, Strats are Blues" is a stupidly simple generalisation.

As with everything else, it's mostly about preference.

BTW people saying "Get a Strat/Tele, they feel so much better and sound better and are more versatile, blablabla" is not worth anything, it's just their opinion.
The only important thing is that YOU are satisfied with the instrument, so go out, play both, decide yourself.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Strats to this day are the most comfortable guitars i can find in terms of ergonomics and playability, but lately ive been seriously gassing for a dual humbucker telecaster
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by MrBhopps
Good Luck!
A traditional tele's bridge position can get a much heavier, raw rock sound than anything a traditional strat can put out. Listen to Jimmy Page's early work with Led Zeppelin. Or Joe Strummer of the Clash.

I do not know how anyone can play a tele and come to that conclusion. The only way I could think of someone thinking this is by seeing country artists playing a tele and thinking that it must be for country.

This sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHZC5r84QJo#

At 5:17

Is simply not achievable on your typical strat.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 5, 2012,
People saying they're Apple and Oranges are just taking the easy way out. There's a much greater difference between my Tele and my RGA42 than between my Tele and my Brother's Strat. They're different but you can really do much of the same stuff on both really well. Tele's are more twangy on the bridge but their neck picks both offer a nice clean sound. I personally prefer Tele's, I think you can find nice Tele's at a cheaper price point too. I played CV Tele at my GC today and it was just as good as my MIA in my opinion.

So I'll say I prefer Tele's
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Quote by al112987
Who are most people? Noobs who are obsessed with typecasting guitars to simplify things?

No one who knows anything about guitars would ever see it that way and the rest of the general public who knows nothing about guitars have no idea what a stratocaster or telecaster is.

Hahaha over react much?
That's basically the stereo type of a tele and a strat, like stated early keith urban uses a tele, you'll never see eric clapton playing one.
~Jimi Hendrix
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
Hahaha over react much?
That's basically the stereo type of a tele and a strat, like stated early keith urban uses a tele, you'll never see eric clapton playing one.

During both the Yardbirds AND Blind Faith...

If Keith Urban being seen with a tele means that it's mostly for country, then I guess the same goes for a strat?
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 5, 2012,
Quote by kangaxxter
Personal preference.

Also, no versus threads. Read the rules.

When did you become a Mod?

You can either abuse the unique tone of both guitars, or use them for your own sounds.
Quote by al112987

During both the Yardbirds AND Blind Faith...

If Keith Urban being seen with a tele means that it's mostly for country, then I guess the same goes for a strat?

Keith is playing clapton's blackie, and I'm talking about now n days, all clapton plays on now are strat's, es-3's, and the occasional les paul.

How about this for a solution lmao
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TELE-STRAT-HYBRID-CHERRY-MAHOG-BODY-CUSTOM-PICKUPS-MIGHTYMITE-NECK-USA-BUILT-/170773944884?pt=Guitar&hash=item27c2eb9a34#ht_4795wt_932
~Jimi Hendrix
Page 1 of 2