i just picked up a TC electronics corona chorus (sounds amazing). it has stereo and mono input and output jacks and i have no idea what the difference is between them. what is the difference and how should i be running it?

i have my setup like this:

guitar>tuner>wah>distortion>chorus>delay>amp(vht special 6 ultra)

all through the front of the amp
You'll want to run everything through the mono jacks.

Mono means that your sound comes from one spot, stereo means it comes from both sides. The stereo jacks allow you to run through 2 amps, usually one on each side of the stage. This can give you a much bigger sound. Some effects can sound different in stereo, like a reverb seeming to swirl around between the amps. If you're just running one amp, stereo won't do anything for you.
Quote by aildeokl
You'll want to run everything through the mono jacks.

Mono means that your sound comes from one spot, stereo means it comes from both sides. The stereo jacks allow you to run through 2 amps, usually one on each side of the stage. This can give you a much bigger sound. Some effects can sound different in stereo, like a reverb seeming to swirl around between the amps. If you're just running one amp, stereo won't do anything for you.

Exactly correct. On another note, if you have two amps, things get cool. If you have/acquire a 4X12 cab with mono/stereo capabilities you can run one amp through two 12's and the other amp through the other 12's, mic each side up and pan them slightly left/right. throw a very slight delay on one channel and look out!! Possibilities are endless without much equipment involved... Rock on dude....
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Stereo is typically used for active pickups, that way you can know when the plug is in and it powers the pickup up without wasting the battery life when the guitar isn't even plugged in. (It's not really stereo at all it's just a sort of alternative use for them)

Actual stereo: I think you can wire a guitar so that one pickup does side and another pickup does another side, but in all honestly that sounds really retarded to me and you might as well will see if there's something that can split your mono cable into 2 mono cables that you can plug into 2 different amps if you're really hell bent on getting a stereo sound. It'd be a lot better than a stereo guitar, theres probably a pedal for it.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Feb 3, 2012,
Stereo onstage is a waste of time if you ask me. Even doing a stereo mix of a gig is a waste of time. The only people that benefit from it are the people right in the middle, everybody else gets half a mix.
It may sound great to you onstage standing between your two amps but it aint about you. Stereo straight off the amps is only good for the handful of people in the middle of the front row. So all that effort for a dozen people? And of those 12 how many would actually notice if you switched it to mono mid-song? Less than half? So you lug around an extra amp for the benefit of what? 5 people?
I tried stereo for a while and decided it was a total waste of time. Just use mono everywhere.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification