'm new to single coils, as I just bought my first telecaster ever. It's got a crystal clear tone that sounds great. I just can't really get enough power out of it with my Marshall 1978 JMP 2203 (very close to a JCM 800 2203).

So I figured I'd either replace the single coil in the bridge with a Humbucker/P90, or just pick up a pedal. The latter being less drastic, I decided to go with it. I've always gotten enough power with just the volume rolled up on humbuckers

But I'm torn between whether to get a distortion pedal, fuzz pedal, overdrive...or just a simple boost? I play mainly Hard Rock (zeppelin) and will need this pedal for both riffs and leads.

I know the technical aspects of all of the pedals and what they do, but I'm just not so familiar with their affects on Teles. What can add some weight and bulk to my sound?

P.S. My amp is extremely loud, even at 5 or 6 out of 10, and my guitar volume at full it's just a light overdrive, still too clean. I want to give it more punch and sustain.

Thanks.
I'd suggest a mini humbucker for the bridge wouldn't be a bad idea. If you just want a pedal though, a boost/OD would do the trick. There's plenty of options in that regard, a Tubescreamer of some sort (TS-9, TS-808 etc). My personal favourite is a BB Preamp. I'm not sure if it's a TS clone, but it's been my favourite boost for years.
For Zeppelin you might want a Vox Tonebender or a clone of such. Very different from a Tubescreamer, though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Hmm... a stock telecaster into a JCM800 should give you more than enough gain for Zeppelin...

But otherwise, you have a few options.

If you run your amp at a low master volume, you can always keep your gain low and use a good booster pedal like a Timmy. The Timmy pedal is, imo, the best overdrive for Marshalls because it retains so much of the amp's character, and is basically completely transparent.

Other than that, if you want to keep your amp clean and get all your gain from a stompbox, then you have a pretty wide variety of "amp in a box" type of pedals out there. How much are you looking to spend?
^ + ^^ +1

either that or use a boost. if you swap pickups it's not going to sound much like a tele any more, and (presumably) you bought a tele for a reason.

i mean, if you don't care, then by all means swap the pickups. but as you said, a boost or an od would be less drastic and you'd have the option of normal tele + boosted tones on the fly.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm very much a traditionalist, I personally don't think that strats and teles should have anything but single coils. Otherwise, you lose the signature tele sound and you're not really playing a telecaster anymore. But that's just my 2 cents.
i think it depends on what you want

but if you've bought it to get the traditional tele sound then putting a humbucker in there isn't going to help. lol
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ actually... would something more TS-alike maybe work better with a tele?

Obviously if you like the tone and just want more output a timmy would be great (assuming my dano clone is in the ballpark... never tried the real thing).

but a ts tends to work nicely with fender-style single coils to beef them up a bit as well as add gain.

Just depends on what you want, really. Personally I'd want both on my board
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
4-conductor SM Hot Rails in the bridge, just don't wire it with a 4-way switch like me lol, as the options are limitless so keep it simple for now. But if you want to keepthe single coil Tele sound, try an analog OD pedal.
Last edited by Myaccount876 at Feb 4, 2012,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ actually... would something more TS-alike maybe work better with a tele?

Obviously if you like the tone and just want more output a timmy would be great (assuming my dano clone is in the ballpark... never tried the real thing).

but a ts tends to work nicely with fender-style single coils to beef them up a bit as well as add gain.

Just depends on what you want, really. Personally I'd want both on my board
My issue with a tubescreamer is that they make Marshalls sound nasally, imo. They add to many high mids for my taste.
All you need is a cheap clean boost if you just want more output. An Lpb-1 is under $40 or you could get an SHO clone for about the same
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by al112987
My issue with a tubescreamer is that they make Marshalls sound nasally, imo. They add to many high mids for my taste.

oh yeah, they can

i was just thinkiing if he was more used to hums that f-style singles are a bit scooped
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?