Page 1 of 2
So, I DON'T need to be playing those horrible first act guitars, but also I hate asking guitar people what type of gear I should get because they will always be like "Oh well id get the 899 fender" etc.

Is 350 too much for a beginning guitar. With an amp and all the accesories I would need the total comes out to around 600 dollars, is that too much for a beginner like me? What are some ways I could shorten that price.

Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1 Amp
Gig bag
picks
tuner
add in some how to play guitar books, lol.
That's a respectable starter rig. There's no real set amount you should or shouldn't spend though to be honest. It's all up to how much you personally are comfortable spending.
I spent 400 bucks on my beginning rig. (ahh the good ol days) Just make sure that whatever guitar you get is set up properly...
Oh ok, so you don't think im overspending even though I have very little talent with guitar.

I currently have a cheap ass starcaster i use, sounds horrible but its doing the job of putting calluses on my fingers

Just didn't want to think I was overkilling my first guitar. The warranties alone add like 200 bucks to it.
I'm just going to clarify something. Under normal circumstances, I'd say spend more on an amp than a guitar, but that's actually a terrible idea for a starter, because, no offense, you won't have much of an ear for tone, but you will still know if you're holding a decent guitar. So make sure you spend enough to have a comfortable guitar. The CV Start you mentioned are nice for the money, I like them for what they are.
Quote by GKDAIR
So, I DON'T need to be playing those horrible first act guitars, but also I hate asking guitar people what type of gear I should get because they will always be like "Oh well id get the 899 fender" etc.

Is 350 too much for a beginning guitar. With an amp and all the accesories I would need the total comes out to around 600 dollars, is that too much for a beginner like me? What are some ways I could shorten that price.

Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1 Amp
Gig bag
picks
tuner
add in some how to play guitar books, lol.

seems like something nice to start off with. i started teaching recently, and have learned a few things.

don't necessarily think its their problem when a barre chord is so buzzy, it might be their action, so get somebody to evaluate its setup.

modeling amps are fun, but fun and messing around with them takes away from actual practice, and IMO and have seen thus far that they prove to a hindrance in most cases. not to say yours.

all of my students are younger. i teach at youngest a 10 year old. have a two middle school aged students, a high school aged student, and an adult (30's if i had to guess). every person is very different as far as dedication, inclination, etc. everything is possible.

if you can contain your fun the fender mustang should be great. i would advise trying out some other modeling amps in the price range, see which you like best.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
When youre starting out you dont need to spend that much, i have a cheap guitar that only cost 100 dollars and ive used it for 6 years now. Just find a guitar that is comfortable, you dont want to go spend a crap ton of money just because you dont want a "first act" guitar. And if you need "how to play" guitar books, theres no way you should be spending over 150 on a guitar.
Quote by metalshelledtac
When youre starting out you dont need to spend that much, i have a cheap guitar that only cost 100 dollars and ive used it for 6 years now. Just find a guitar that is comfortable, you dont want to go spend a crap ton of money just because you dont want a "first act" guitar. And if you need "how to play" guitar books, theres no way you should be spending over 150 on a guitar.

I know how to play guitar I was talking about more like music theory and stuff like that, not just "THIS IS WHAT A C CHORD IS" stuff.
How much money can you afford? A nice guitar will last you for a long time and bring joy to your life. I still use my first guitar 30 years later. The neck's all worn out with grooves in the fretboard and stuff, but it plays like a dream and is just such an old freind. I swear I play better on that than any other guitar and it's just an old beat to death Fuji Ibby Blazer.
If it had been a Les Paul that would have been even cooler. I spent as much money as I had and bought the best thing I could afford. If I'd had more I would have spent more. Don't cheap out on your first decent guitar. Go without your dream amp for a bit longer but get a good guitar straight off the bat. You need skills more than you need tone at the start.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I can afford the 600 its just I feel like its overkill. But i've talked to others around and they say if I absolutly need a strat then the classic vibe is the way to go.

The stratocaster is by far my favorite looking guitar, and If I plan to have this thing for a good 4-5 years (until I get another one at least) I wanna make sure it not only looks good but still sounds great.

I could do without the Fender Mustang but I don't want to buy an amp that will sound like poop either.
Quote by GKDAIR
I know how to play guitar I was talking about more like music theory and stuff like that, not just "THIS IS WHAT A C CHORD IS" stuff.

Still i wouldn't spend alot, if you still have to learn theory then don't get a high end guitar, get something thats comfortable and affordable and get gear that can make it have a better sound (amps, pedals, footswitches, etc). A cheaper guitar might not have the greatest sound quality but the accessories and gear will help alot.
Quote by metalshelledtac
Still i wouldn't spend alot, if you still have to learn theory then don't get a high end guitar, get something thats comfortable and affordable and get gear that can make it have a better sound (amps, pedals, footswitches, etc). A cheaper guitar might not have the greatest sound quality but the accessories and gear will help alot.

I've been in band a good 6 years of my life, been playing drums for about 3 of it.
Quote by Cathbard
How much money can you afford? A nice guitar will last you for a long time and bring joy to your life. I still use my first guitar 30 years later. The neck's all worn out with grooves in the fretboard and stuff, but it plays like a dream and is just such an old freind. I swear I play better on that than any other guitar and it's just an old beat to death Fuji Ibby Blazer.
If it had been a Les Paul that would have been even cooler. I spent as much money as I had and bought the best thing I could afford. If I'd had more I would have spent more. Don't cheap out on your first decent guitar. Go without your dream amp for a bit longer but get a good guitar straight off the bat. You need skills more than you need tone at the start.

Listen to this guy. Those telling you that you shouldn't spend more than $150 on your first guitar are wrong. Your first guitar should be decent - and there's a reason for that. It doesn't need to be a $2k or $3k job, but it should be decent. A cheap guitar with problems will not inspire you to learn and you're just as likely to give up, not knowing it was the instrument that caused it. A good instrument gives you the best chance for success.

As Cathbard suggested, don't worry about the amp at first. Just get something that makes sound. Later on, you can upgrade the amp to something better.
Quote by GKDAIR
I've been in band a good 6 years of my life, been playing drums for about 3 of it.

youve been in a band for 6 years and need to learn theory? Still go cheap, you could always trade it in or upgrade it, like changing the strings, the pickups, fretboard, etc. I did that with and old ass stratocaster, rewired it and replaced the pickups, now it plays great.
Buy the guitar that feels best in your hands. You can change it's sound later. My first guitar was a strat configuration. Now it has a tappable humbucker in the neck, sc middle and two ssingles mounted side by side at the bridge, switchable.
You'll probably do lots to it and a strat is a great guitar for that. You can just get/make a new scratchplate and mod the crap out of it. Then if you ever want to you just bolt on the old scratchplate and you're back to original.
Neck! Doesn't matter what the hell it is. How does it feel in your hands? A guitar should choose you. Handle it, play it - you'll know. THAT'S worth paying money for. Get the one that talks to you within your budget, but don't cheap out. A good guitar will keep feeling that way for longer.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by KG6_Steven
Listen to this guy. Those telling you that you shouldn't spend more than $150 on your first guitar are wrong. Your first guitar should be decent - and there's a reason for that. It doesn't need to be a $2k or $3k job, but it should be decent. A cheap guitar with problems will not inspire you to learn and you're just as likely to give up, not knowing it was the instrument that caused it. A good instrument gives you the best chance for success.

As Cathbard suggested, don't worry about the amp at first. Just get something that makes sound. Later on, you can upgrade the amp to something better.

You can still get decent stuff at a cheap price, you should go for comfort with a first guitar
Personally I don't recommend spending a lot on a first guitar/rig, although by all means get the best you can comfortably afford. Thing is, even if your first guitar is a piece of junk like mine was if guitar is your thing you can persevere with it and upgrade later, I've never met anyone who said "I really liked playing guitar but my gear sucked so I gave up" however I know a ton of people who say "I spent $1000 on my stuff but I'm not really into guitar anymore"
for my money the setup you described above seems like an excellently starting point.
You need at least an ibanez prestige and a mesa full stack for your first rig.
a fine guitar if you like the strat shape is the new Charvel So-Cal, they have caught my eye. IIRC they are MIA as well, good pickups. could coil tap if you want to (if it doesn't have it already).
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/charvel-so-cal-style-1-hh-electric-guitar

have you thought of ibanez? 1550's and 1570's are great guitars,
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rg1570-electric-guitar
the only difference between the 70 ending and 50 ending is that the 50 has a pickguard and the 70 doesn't. these are found way cheaper used.

LTD are decent and cheaper, here is a model, i wouldn't necessarily go for EMG;s but you may like them.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-deluxe-mh-1000-electric-guitar-with-emgs

Scecter's version of a similar super strat
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/schecter-guitar-research-hellraiser-special-c-1-electric-guitar

G&L tribute or asat are nice guitars as well. the legacy is basically a strat with the SC's.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gl-tribute-series-legacy-electric-guitar
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gl-asat-classic-walnut-finish-electric-guitar/502718000500000

some of these will be far too expensive possibly but maybe you will find one of some of these to you liking. these are all respectable instruments. i would play any one of them, if i didn't have the guitars i do own now.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Bout tree fiddy.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by metalshelledtac

I would agree with you, but he's not starting out. He's got some experience and is looking to upgrade from the cheapo guitars you're recommending. What he needs is to go to a Guitar Center or similar big store with a wide variety of brands and models, sit down, and play every damn guitar he looks at. Just let the clerks know how much you want to spend, and play everything within the budget you are thinking of, and play some stuff just out of your budget. Make note of the ones that feel good in your hands and the ones that you don't like. Once you've tried so many you're sick of trying, go back through the ones you like. Try to narrow it down to the best 3 or 5 in terms of feel only. Once you finally narrow it down to those, pick which one you like the most in terms of looks and feel. Whichever one you would feel the most satisfied and excited to take home. Then, once you've decided, buy the damn thing. Don't worry about spending money on any other gear but that. Not straps, not cables, not an amp, not pedals, not picks, nothing. Once you take it up to buy it, talk to the clerk and tell him you need some picks and a strap and probably a cable or two and ask him if he"ll throw those in with the guitar. If he won't give you any freebies, walk out. For real. My girlfriend bought a $300 guitar and got a free cable, two or three dozen picks, a strap, and Schaller straplocks all thrown in, plus some flight tags for her case. If they agree to the freebies, ask about the price of a case to protect your investment. I wouldn't worry about a warranty beyond the 30day one it should come with. You might want to see if their tech is in and talk to him about a setup, or even see if you can get a free setup with the guitar purchase, or at least a discount. After hearing the price of the setup, if it's reasonable (no more than $30 for sure, $20 is what I've always heard) then you might want to leave the guitar there that day to get it setup right away. Depending on how busy the tech is and what time you're in there, he might be able to do it right away, but don't count on it. Once that's finished, go pick up your guitar and enjoy.
Quote by metalshelledtac
You can still get decent stuff at a cheap price, you should go for comfort with a first guitar

And you have a point there. Not saying all cheapo guitars are crap. There are some decent ones out there, but you really have to dig. Comfort is extremely important. If your first guitar feels awesome in your hands and you pay $250 for it, then that's the one for you.
Quote by Waylanderau
Personally I don't recommend spending a lot on a first guitar/rig, although by all means get the best you can comfortably afford. Thing is, even if your first guitar is a piece of junk like mine was if guitar is your thing you can persevere with it and upgrade later, I've never met anyone who said "I really liked playing guitar but my gear sucked so I gave up" however I know a ton of people who say "I spent $1000 on my stuff but I'm not really into guitar anymore"
for my money the setup you described above seems like an excellently starting point.

The reason why I recommend spending more on a first guitar is two-fold:

A good guitar won't likely have the quality issues of a cheaper one. It will likely have good intonation, have a good weight, decent neck and frets and be something you can use for years to come.

And, if you get tired of it and decide it's not for you, you'll get more from it when you sell it. Quality instruments are just more desirable. Try reselling your First Act guitar.

I've seen several people give up from crappy gear. Ever see those boxed kits that Target, Walmart, Sams and even Guitar Center sell during the holidays? They are the worst guitars in the world and more kids will quit because of them. A lot of us are fond of saying, "if you want to make a kid quit, by him one of these guitar/amp packs." It's true. Or try playing a cheapo guitar with the frets sticking out of the side and it won't stay in-tune. I guarantee you that the one playing it won't last.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Feb 4, 2012,
If you like strat style guitars and you dont mind going used, check craigslist and ebay for a used 80's ibanez roadstar or blazer. They play and sound great. Everyone always looks for vintage Fender and Gibson stuff, so the vintage Ibanez stuff sells dirt cheap sometimes, plus I think that was the best quality stuff ibanez ever made.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-IBANEZ-ROADSTAR-II-SERIES-RS405-RS-405-CAR-CANDY-APPLE-RED-MIJ-JAPAN-NR-/200704840514?pt=Guitar&hash=item2ebaf0d342

Check that out, you are not going to find a good strat style guitar for that price, and I can just about guarantee that the ibanez plays better than the squire.
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Quote by Blktiger0
I would agree with you, but he's not starting out. He's got some experience and is looking to upgrade from the cheapo guitars you're recommending. What he needs is to go to a Guitar Center or similar big store with a wide variety of brands and models, sit down, and play every damn guitar he looks at. Just let the clerks know how much you want to spend, and play everything within the budget you are thinking of, and play some stuff just out of your budget. Make note of the ones that feel good in your hands and the ones that you don't like. Once you've tried so many you're sick of trying, go back through the ones you like. Try to narrow it down to the best 3 or 5 in terms of feel only. Once you finally narrow it down to those, pick which one you like the most in terms of looks and feel. Whichever one you would feel the most satisfied and excited to take home. Then, once you've decided, buy the damn thing. Don't worry about spending money on any other gear but that. Not straps, not cables, not an amp, not pedals, not picks, nothing. Once you take it up to buy it, talk to the clerk and tell him you need some picks and a strap and probably a cable or two and ask him if he"ll throw those in with the guitar. If he won't give you any freebies, walk out. For real. My girlfriend bought a $300 guitar and got a free cable, two or three dozen picks, a strap, and Schaller straplocks all thrown in, plus some flight tags for her case. If they agree to the freebies, ask about the price of a case to protect your investment. I wouldn't worry about a warranty beyond the 30day one it should come with. You might want to see if their tech is in and talk to him about a setup, or even see if you can get a free setup with the guitar purchase, or at least a discount. After hearing the price of the setup, if it's reasonable (no more than $30 for sure, $20 is what I've always heard) then you might want to leave the guitar there that day to get it setup right away. Depending on how busy the tech is and what time you're in there, he might be able to do it right away, but don't count on it. Once that's finished, go pick up your guitar and enjoy.

I'm not reccomending a cheapo guitar, i'm just saying not to spend that much if he is not that experienced with guitar playing
Quote by KG6_Steven
The reason why I recommend spending more on a first guitar is two-fold:

A good guitar won't likely have the quality issues of a cheaper one. It will likely have good intonation, have a good weight, decent neck and frets and be something you can use for years to come.

And, if you get tired of it and decide it's not for you, you'll get more from it when you sell it. Quality instruments are just more desirable. Try reselling your First Act guitar.

I've seen several people give up from crappy gear. Ever see those boxed kits that Target, Walmart, Sams and even Guitar Center sell during the holidays? They are the worst guitars in the world and more kids will quit because of them. A lot of us are fond of saying, "if you want to make a kid quit, by him one of these guitar/amp packs." It's true. Or try playing a cheapo guitar with the frets sticking out of the side and it won't stay in-tune. I guarantee you that the one playing it won't last.

I've unfortunatly had to deal with those crappy wal-mart guitars. But now that I can actually afford decent stuff I figured I might as well get decent stuff.
Quote by GKDAIR
I've unfortunatly had to deal with those crappy wal-mart guitars. But now that I can actually afford decent stuff I figured I might as well get decent stuff.

Indeed. Now go find the best guitar you can afford. How it feels in your hands is the most important aspect. Your first good guitar should be something you will be happy to keep forever.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Indeed. Now go find the best guitar you can afford. How it feels in your hands is the most important aspect. Your first good guitar should be something you will be happy to keep forever.

Well with the kind of sound im looking for, and since im already familiar with how they look, I chose that squire classic vibe stratocaster.

I have a Fender Starcaster, so it gets the job done as far as what the guitar will feel like.

Perhaps in a semester or 2 I'll buy another one. Maybe a tele or les paul
Quote by GKDAIR
Well with the kind of sound im looking for, and since im already familiar with how they look, I chose that squire classic vibe stratocaster.

I have a Fender Starcaster, so it gets the job done as far as what the guitar will feel like.

Perhaps in a semester or 2 I'll buy another one. Maybe a tele or les paul

In that case, save up for a semester or two for a better guitar altogether. 2 decent guitars < one amazing guitar. I have a friend that would rather buy 3 half-assed guitars for like $300 each than buy one awesome axe for $900. He would rather buy one with the neck he wants, one with a floyd he wants, and one with the pickups he wants that to wait and buy one guitar with all 3.

Or even better, buy your strat you want now and buy a nice amp in a few semesters.
My first set up cost ~$450 in '92 the guitar I still have and love to play. It was a used Sanox Sound creator LP style guitar made in Japan in the late 1970's. I have recently re-fretted the guitar, put all new electronics and pickups in it and new tuners. The amp was an old Dean 25 watt 1x12 combo (ewww!) but it lasted me 5-6 yrs.

Hell my sons first rig is to die for PRS CE22 and a Marshall class 5 combo!

But the ultimate first rig I have ever seen is my buddys 1957 Gibson LP and a 197? Bluesbreaker combo. What an awesome Dad he has!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
My first rig was a DAION mark XX (god i miss that guitar) and a Fender 15 watt amp

From there I moved upwards.. Kramer striker 600,Gibson LP,Kramer Focus 1000,Gibson SG,Jackson

his 1st real guitar IMO.. he should spend 3 to 400.. Id take someone that is knowledgeable in guitars that can sift through all the BS and buy used myself
#1 2001 MII Jackson DK-2
#2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire
#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe
#4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson
#5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special
#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
Last edited by Mufassa at Feb 5, 2012,
Quote by KG6_Steven

Good Advice here... An Epiphone, or a MIM Fender are quality instruments without breaking the bank, and will last... (I threw out those two because I'm familiar with them...) Amps are, in my opinion a shopping headache for even a 30 year vet... Guitar's are easy (Well easier anyway) because you can see what it "Feels" like. A guitar can be comfortable. Concentrate on a good guitar and an amp that makes noise you can live with. Lots of affordable choices...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Going with Cath on this one, get the best one you can now that you know you're committed to guitaring. My Godin, which cost 1200 dollars was my second guitar, and my most expensive. It is also still my favourite one and my go-to for most styles.
Quote by Tallica9000
Going with Cath on this one, get the best one you can now that you know you're committed to guitaring. My Godin, which cost 1200 dollars was my second guitar, and my most expensive. It is also still my favourite one and my go-to for most styles.

i think my most expensive guitar was the Kramer Focus 1000... hardshell and emg 81.. cost $1500.. but it was stolen ages ago
#1 2001 MII Jackson DK-2
#2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire
#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe
#4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson
#5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special
#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
I'd agree with everyone saying to spend as much as you can reasonably afford. when i 1st started playing i got a new/used $100 guitar just about every year. Started out with this really crappy Series 10, then got a peavey, then a few others and finally When i turned 18 i bought my RG420. I remember picking it up and going wow, this is a "nice" guitar. I loved it and still play it today. (Matter of fact its my main guitar still) Once you get a great guitar you will enjoy playing even more. Especially if you have been playing on junky guitars for a while.

On that music theory comment. I've been playing for like 20 years and unfortunately know SQUAT about music theory..
Page 1 of 2