Hey guys, has anyone had any experience with jazz basses with a j pup in the neck and an MM style humbucker in the bridge? I'm worried about the MM overpowering the J. But then again I'm looking at a project bass here and might just take the neck pup out all together!
My EBMM Bongo has that pup configuration and I don't notice much of a volume difference between the two, the single in the neck is good for adding a bit of bass and smoothing out the MM 'bucker tone. Mind you these are two rather hot neodymium pickups designed specifically that bass and you can't buy MusicMan pickups aftermarket.
If you want to do the HS thing you're going to have to look for a well matched set. See if someone like Wizard will wind you a set or look in to the MEC pups Warwick use on their HS models and what Sandberg put in theirs.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Sandberg have been making JM basses forever, and they sound fine (although I'm not a massive fan personally)

http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/basscat-overview/calt-series/caltm
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
I'm pretty sure some of the Lakland jazz basses use that setup and they all sound beautiful!

EDIT: after a little snooping, yes they do! http://www.lakland.com/44-02.htm

Its not actually a jazz but its a very similar body shape and neck profile i think
Last edited by SamWhiteBASS at Feb 4, 2012,
cort also make a sweet bass in that style. I believe it's the GB series
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Yeah I'm looking at the SX line right now and leaning toward those. I've heard nothing but good remarks about SX and Rondo's service. Only problem is that they look kind of cheap in comparison to the other jazz basses on there. But I'm looking for something with some punch to it!
Quote by Vincenzo188
Yeah I'm looking at the SX line right now and leaning toward those. I've heard nothing but good remarks about SX and Rondo's service. Only problem is that they look kind of cheap in comparison to the other jazz basses on there. But I'm looking for something with some punch to it!

Do it.

If you don't like it, you can pretty much sell one at cost and not loose a thing.

I've owned 3 SX's (2 basses and 1 guitar). They are all VERY well made, and certainly do not look in ANY way cheap.

I gig'd my SX Shortscale Jaguar (J/J pickups, w/ some La'Bella Flats) on Saturday... not only does it sound amazing (which is really all that matters) it looks, feels and plays amazing, too. I got plenty of comments on it by some decidedly gear-snobby people.

Compared to my other basses, the SX actually puts off far less of a 'cheap vibe' than the others.

My big spot of advice, though... go with a Rosewood fretboard. SX finished their basses with some wonky orangey-spray-tan-looking stuff. If you MUST have Maple, there are plenty of threads on other bass forums that detail how to safely strip the Orange-ness off of it. It's a pretty easy process...
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Din of Win

My big spot of advice, though... go with a Rosewood fretboard. SX finished their basses with some wonky orangey-spray-tan-looking stuff. If you MUST have Maple, there are plenty of threads on other bass forums that detail how to safely strip the Orange-ness off of it. It's a pretty easy process...

Who doesn't want a Guido finish??
Quote by askrere
Who doesn't want a Guido finish??

As long as you replace the "SX" logo with a "GTL" logo, haha!
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."