I am looking to connect my guitar to my PC, and play along to backing tracks using headphones. I have found a few USB interfaces that would seem to allow me to do this, but I was hoping I could get opinions or experiences on these or better products/methods. I have played on and off for years, and just play for fun, so I don't need anything professional or particularly high quality. I would like to spend less than $100 on this.

I found the IK Multimedia Stealthplug which I think I can use with the free version of Amplitube. I dowloaded Amplitube and it seems to be what I am looking for, but I cannot get backing tracks to play on it. Not sure if these are disabled in the free version or if I have something set up incorrectly. Was hoping if I purchased the Stealthplug, the included software and drivers would fix this.

Also saw the Behringer UCG102, which comes with "Guitar Combos with variable-speed file playback function for MP3, WAV, AIFF audio files—perfect for easy learning and practicing—tuner and metronome function" and "Stereo Headphone output lets you jam with your computer and can also be used for monitoring with active monitor speakers". This sounds good, but so does most advertising.

Does anyone have experience with these products or have other recommendations for achieving this?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Quote by klocwork
I am looking to connect my guitar to my PC, and play along to backing tracks using headphones. I have found a few USB interfaces that would seem to allow me to do this, but I was hoping I could get opinions or experiences on these or better products/methods. I have played on and off for years, and just play for fun, so I don't need anything professional or particularly high quality. I would like to spend less than $100 on this.

I found the IK Multimedia Stealthplug which I think I can use with the free version of Amplitube. I dowloaded Amplitube and it seems to be what I am looking for, but I cannot get backing tracks to play on it. Not sure if these are disabled in the free version or if I have something set up incorrectly. Was hoping if I purchased the Stealthplug, the included software and drivers would fix this.

You might have problems with this AFAIK. I have zoom g2.1u (multi-fx that servers as usb interface) and to use amplitube (or guitar rig or any other software) you need to use ASIO drivers for your sound cards (or ASIO4all if your card isn't directly supported; otherwise the sound will be noticably delayed). The problem with this is that asio doesn't work with winows mixer which means you can't output multiple programs at once (e.g. amplitube and media player). I'm not sure about all the possibilities of amplitube (it's been a while) but unless amplitube itself can play tha backing tracks, i don't think it's possible to do this (unless you have more than one sound card, but than you couldn't ouput both of the into same headphones, or unless you're on linux, but then it's painful to run amplitube and linux native guitar processors aren't that good imo).

Quote by klocwork

Also saw the Behringer UCG102, which comes with "Guitar Combos with variable-speed file playback function for MP3, WAV, AIFF audio files—perfect for easy learning and practicing—tuner and metronome function" and "Stereo Headphone output lets you jam with your computer and can also be used for monitoring with active monitor speakers". This sounds good, but so does most advertising.

Does anyone have experience with these products or have other recommendations for achieving this?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

I don't have any experience w/ the behringer amp, but lot's of practice amps come with line-in jack so you can just plug in you mp3 player w/ backing tracks to jam along (or your computer, then you can also slow down the playback n'stuff, if you think you'd use that).

Another option would be to get a looper pedal (boss rc-3 or digitech jamman solo). It's not their primary function, but you can connect them via USB to computer and put your backing tracks on them. Not entirely sure about the boss, but the digitech also has an option to slow down the playback. I don't think you can get those for $100 though.
KorYi,

Thanks for the feedback.

Supposedly, Amplitube 3 can play the mp3s and and adjust tempo, etc. When I import an mp3 into it, I can see the song title, but don't get any sound out other than my guitar. I am currently using the ASIO4all driver. I was hoping the driver that comes with the Stealthplug would fix this, but I don't know.

Thanks for the info on the pedals. I looked them up and they are a little more than I wanted to spend, but at least there are other options.

Any other experiences/opinions welcome.
hmm i can take a look at the amplitube stuff (not today though, ain't home, but i think i have v3 lying around there somewhere) and see if i can figure out something w/ it. The drivers probably could help, but i'm not much sure about that.