Poll: What age do you think you are classed as an adult?
Poll Options
View poll results: What age do you think you are classed as an adult?
16-17
6 4%
41 25%
4 2%
12 7%
36 22%
12 7%
23-25
17 10%
26-29
10 6%
30-39
6 4%
40+
20 12%
Voters: 164.
Page 1 of 2
So, I turned 22 today and it feels like my youth is officially over.

Am I now classed as an adult?! Do I have to do grown-up things?!

I think I shall get raging drunk whilst trying to figure this out.

So, Pit. When do you think youth is over and one becomes an "adult"?
I'm 20 and i definitely don't feel like an adult now. Don't really want to anytime soon.
Quote by chev311e
I'm 20 and i definitely don't feel like an adult now. Don't really want to anytime soon.

20 is much different than 22...
Gibson SG Special - Tony Iommi pickups
Martin 000CXEBLACK acoustic/electric

Lefties Unite
IS THIS IT?
At whatever age you commit your first felony.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
I think it depends on the individual. If you compare two 20-year olds, the one who's been living alone and working full time since the age of 16 is going to be more of an adult than the one who went to college and partied his face off.

I think you become an adult when you're not only independent, but capable of providing for others as well as yourself.
Quote by Tismort
@ sashki

Then it's 40+ for me when you put it like that.

I'd say most people are adults by 40, but among 20 year olds a lot of them are still overgrown kids. I know I am.

I don't think you can put a definite age on maturity, as it varies on an individual basis, but I'd say once you're 30 you need to start getting your shit together.
Quote by sashki
I think it depends on the individual. If you compare two 20-year olds, the one who's been living alone and working full time since the age of 16 is going to be more of an adult than the one who went to college and partied his face off.

I think you become an adult when you're not only independent, but capable of providing for others as well as yourself.

This. Being legally considered an adult and fitting into the cultural concept of being an adult (which isn't universal) are two different things. At 20, I certainly don't consider myself an "adult".

Edit: Also happy birthday! Stop philosophising and go get drunk
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Last edited by roythereaper at Feb 4, 2012,
I felt like an adult when I started living on my own, aged 19. It was because I went to university but still made me feel a lot more 'grown up' then before. I'm currently 21 and in a full time job and that also makes you feel like an adult but in a different way. Students are always looked down upon I feel, given this kind of 'young adult' moniker but when you have a job people start treating you like a real contributing member of society
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
I chose 40+

Upon reflection, I'm 22 and think clearly shows I'm not very "grown up"
Happy birthday! No present for you.

40+
Wait until you're at least 40 to grow up. Meanwhile, bang chicks, buy and crash a fast car (not on the same day you moron), and buy a grotesquely state-of-the-art laptop just so you can spend all night playing RPGs. Wait this is UG. But a grotesquely expensive guitar but don't wreck it. Oh, and you need an amp. Definitely spend huge on amps.

Anyway bottom line don't grow up until you've blown some serious pounds/dollars/pence/euros/marks/lire/yen on something you want AND you've saved a little pile of dough.

I apologize if I omitted your favorite currency. I assure you I bear no grudges, you see those are the only ones I can spell.
Smile when you say that.
Quote by BillyRamone

Anyway bottom line don't grow up until you've blown some serious pounds/dollars/pence/euros/marks/lire/yen on something you want AND you've saved a little pile of dough.

You've pretty much described the Midlife Crisis
Quote by sashki
You've pretty much described the Midlife Crisis

One should deal with this Midlife Crisis as soon as possible. Do not tarry.
Smile when you say that.
I was hoping for a 15 option. I've occupied an adult brain since then.
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
when you realise that you're going to die and you accept that fact without being scared/panic.

and congrats mate. I don't have anything for you except my love.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I'm 52 and the pub landlord says "hello boys" when I walk in with my mates, so I guess I'll never grow up now.

Maybe is a music and sports thing - people who "play" for a living, as in play in a band or play football never get to be counted as adult. Or maybe its a baby thing, perhaps when you have kids yourself, then you grow up, especially when you hear youself repeating phrases that your father said to you - like, don't do drugs, and be in by 11 etc.
I think that you are classed as an adult when you pay your own bills and you can take care of yourself, But the law here in Finland says that when you hit 18 you are an adult.
Quote by steee21
I say adulthood begins when you are completely financially independent.

This nails it, generally.
Getting a car (i was 18) kind of gave a feeling of an adult (freedom+ independence) But i was still too interested in parties/completely irresponsible to myself (was fun though, ha)...
Leaving uni at 22 almost gave a feeling of an adult, except that i had to move back to my parents place...
I'm 24 now and only just starting to feel like an adult...
Mainly because i'm becoming more financially independent. It makes all the difference to your mindset.

I personally believe you shouldn't be in a rush to grow up. Life's ****ing great when you're young. You can get away with a hell of a lot more than when you're older. No regrets, huh?

I'm more ready for being an 'adult' now, knowing i did a lot of the silly things i wanted to do, it's all out my system and i'm really glad i did it (no matter how much trouble i got myself in). No regrets and ready to move on from those things
Quote by dnamra13

when i was waiting for slayer there was a guy who kept on touching his **** in public i was like HELL NO !!!. what the F*** is wrong with this place.

I gig around London, UK, check us out/add us

www.facebook.com/follly
www.follly.com
The youth is starting to change are you starting to change are you together together together together
When you fulfill all of these criteria:

You use phrases like "when I was young," "When I was a lad," "When I was your age," etc
You no longer consider blanket forts, ball pits, water slides and such to be awesome.
You see snow on the weather forecast and your first thought is how it will affect the traffic.
You listen to Dire Straits.
You are no longer in education.
You get up before 11AM on a day off.
Your friends are getting married/having kids and you are not judging them for doing it way too young.

Only 1, 4 and 5 apply to me (though I'm working on getting back into education), and I'm 22. TS, you're still young, now go have a drink. Happy birthday.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
When you're done with your education and you've settled somewhere.

In other words, anything between 18 and late twenties...

Quote by Crofty89
You get up before 11AM on a day off..

I did that until a few months after I turned 19...
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Feb 4, 2012,
Quote by Crofty89
When you fulfill all of these criteria:

You use phrases like "when I was young," "When I was a lad," "When I was your age," etc
You no longer consider blanket forts, ball pits, water slides and such to be awesome.
You see snow on the weather forecast and your first thought is how it will affect the traffic.
You listen to Dire Straits.
You are no longer in education.
You get up before 11AM on a day off.
Your friends are getting married/having kids and you are not judging them for doing it way too young.

Only 1, 4 and 5 apply to me (though I'm working on getting back into education), and I'm 22. TS, you're still young, now go have a drink. Happy birthday.

They all apply to me apart from the Dire Straits one.
Im 19, and I dont feel like an adult. Although, I realise im starting to become an adult, but I think its 21-22.

I think adult status is solidified when youre out of school and have your own place. Im old.
ESP LTD m400
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
Last edited by MidniteHaze at Feb 4, 2012,
Financial independence doesn't make you an adult. I was renting a house, had a job and was paying the bills; all I was was a child with too much money. You'll still feel like a child throughout your 20's.
OUT OF ORDER
Once you have a job that's no fun and games you're an adult.
All the other ones are happy folk living their dreams.

DISCLAIMER: this doesn't count for the kids in Africa
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
I still haven't grown up. I'm saving that for when I'm dead.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I consider myself an adult. The only thing that's stopping me from being a full adult is age laws and money, but I'm sure I'm responsible enough to handle living by myself.
Page 1 of 2