Hello, i've been playing guitar/bass for 2 and a half years now and i think it's about time for a bass upgrade. So lately this one questions been in my head, 5 strings or 6 strings. I'm not sure whether the C string on a six string would be worth although i do use the high frets alot on my 4 string. both the basses i was looking at was a Spector Rebop 5dlx used and a Schecter Stilleto Custom 6 string. I would like to hear what others would say about the transition from a four string to a five or six string as well.

Thanks
I would go for the spector, but simply because im a fan of 5 strings. i wouldn't go for the 6 string unless your john myung or something like that i don't think you'll need it + spectors are slightly underated.
wut.
Get a 4 string, because that's the number of strings a bass should have.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Play them yourself. The bigger necks makes a huge difference.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Play them yourself. The bigger necks makes a huge difference.

I've picked up a five string and felt the neck and it wasn't that big. I own a 7 string guitar so i'm used to the wider neck and i've picked up and played 8 strings upside down (i'm lefty).
Quote by Reptilianriff
I would go for the spector, but simply because im a fan of 5 strings. i wouldn't go for the 6 string unless your john myung or something like that i don't think you'll need it + spectors are slightly underated.

Spectors underated? i don't see how that works. The reason i contemplated a 6 string was that in my town we have two music stores but there are very few basses (most of them are Fender) and they are all 4 strings except for one 5 string, so if i might get a six i'm gonna get other peoples opinions on it. by the way imo Schecters are slightly underated XD
Spectors aren't underrated at all. Its a popular company that has a massive following in the bass playing community.

Quote by Any7423

This is a stupid statement.

On the 5 vs 6 debate, it all comes down to what you want out of a bass. If you feel like you want that 6th string go for, getting a 5-er will only make you miss that extra string. If you don't feel like you really want/need it, the 5 string will be just fine. Between those basses, I'd say the Rebop blows the Schecter out of the water.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Well, i think in the not that far away future, i will be buying a new bass, and i'll be thinking of getting a 5, though i am wondering what else can i get of a 6. sorry, i can't help you, but I'm marking this thread as a thread of interest!
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Any7423

If we listened to people like you we would still be playing the double bass because it's 'how a bass should be'.

Anyway, on topic. Are you just finding yourself on the upper frets a lot, or are you finding you need to jump from a lower one up for a note or two and then back. If you're just playing up there I wouldn't see the point in a 6 string, if you have to get up and back quickly, then I'd say go for it.
If I got a 6 string it would be for things like sweeping or more options with double hand tapping and playing the bass like a piano. Also 6 strings have more block chord options, which is great when you're playing without a guitar or trying to fill space during a solo.

However if thats not your thing than a 5 is good for very groove oriented playing. Also consider that in a lot of styles such as metal you rarley use the high range of a 6 string. Paolo Grogotto of Trivium once stated that he rarley uses his G string on his 5. Lots of bassists are now days tuning to BEAD.

So all that in mind try to see what style of player you are. What you can do and want to do with your bass before making a desicion.
Quote by corrda00
If I got a 6 string it would be for things like sweeping or more options with double hand tapping and playing the bass like a piano. Also 6 strings have more block chord options, which is great when you're playing without a guitar or trying to fill space during a solo.

However if thats not your thing than a 5 is good for very groove oriented playing. Also consider that in a lot of styles such as metal you rarley use the high range of a 6 string. Paolo Grogotto of Trivium once stated that he rarley uses his G string on his 5. Lots of bassists are now days tuning to BEAD.

So all that in mind try to see what style of player you are. What you can do and want to do with your bass before making a desicion.

I've always used all the strings on a bass equally and sometimes i'll play something different than the guitars playing, sort of like the bassist of Coheed & Cambria. I'm usually told by my bass teacher to stop playing high notes and play what it was made for