Hey , just made this account to ask a quick question.
I'm an average player, and can usually play just about anything that I like. I'm a firm believer in practice makes perfect.

But I'm stuck with the sweep picking section in the intro solo and was wondering if anyone can give me advice? I just don't have the speed.

I can play it just a little bit slower than the real thing. Just can't find then last burst of speed I need.
Last edited by zOoGpoOz at Feb 4, 2012,
Quote by zOoGpoOz
I'm an average player, and can usually play just about anything that I like. I'm a firm believer in practice makes perfect.

But I'm stuck with the sweep picking section in the intro solo and was wondering if anyone can give me advice? I just don't have the speed.

I can play it just a little bit slower than the real thing. Just can't find then last burst of speed I need.

First of all, there's NO sweeping in intro solo, Hammett never sweeps, only sweeping done by him is in Lepper Messiah solo (beginner sweeps lol). Just slow it down, use metronome and you'll have it down in no time.
In the eye of the tornado , blow me away!
Quote by zOoGpoOz

Practice only makes perfect if practice is perfect.

Whatever speed you are practicing it at now, halve it and play it 50 times in a row. This will develop new muscle memory and you should find when you go to play it at normal speed, your fingers will know exactly where to go.
Quote by Voodoosnake
First of all, there's NO sweeping in intro solo, Hammett never sweeps, only sweeping done by him is in Lepper Messiah solo (beginner sweeps lol). Just slow it down, use metronome and you'll have it down in no time.

Metallica "One".
Quote by brownshirt1
Metallica "One".

Um no. Hammett can't sweep. In the world of metal guitarists, he's not someone you should idolize.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by jkielq91
How does sweep impact whether some one should be idolised?

It doesn't. Kirk isn't that great of a player, that's all I'm saying. He can write some pretty decent stuff, but from a technical standpoint, he's awful.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Lead guitarist from one of the best metal bands ever. and he's awful..?? would love to see what he could do if he was good..
But this goes up to 11
Quote by deltadaz
Lead guitarist from one of the best metal bands ever. and he's awful..?? would love to see what he could do if he was good..

Musically speaking it's entirely down to taste but there's no debating about whether he's technically special or not. He's physically pretty shoddy, he's not even the best guitarist in Metallica...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
There are a lot of guitarist who are over hyped, but got to say Hammett has influenced a lot of people to learning the instrument.
In the same way Hendrix and Capton have amongst others.
But this goes up to 11
Who cares how technical he is, the music he makes has inspired thousands to start playing guitar. I'd rather listen to one of Kirk's solos over a technical shred wank-fest any day.
Quote by BigSmokeDawg
Who cares how technical he is, the music he makes has inspired thousands to start playing guitar. I'd rather listen to one of Kirk's solos over a technical shred wank-fest any day.

What he said!!
But this goes up to 11
Quote by BigSmokeDawg

No one is saying that being technically less than desirable makes him any less of an influence or a worse musician, although in a lot of ways I would argue that anyway.

Saying he's a worse technician is simply that: his technique is lacking and in that way he's not someone to emulate. You can do what he did and better if you really work and study and practice because his technique is poor. That is all. Nothing more, nothing less; anything else you get from what I'm saying right now is a result of something in your mind, not the words I'm typing now.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Hetfield > Hammet

Hetfield should have definitely played more leads. In my experience, the better you get at guitar, the worse hammet seems
Kirk used to be quite a fair bit better than he is now. He's sloppy live and his improvisation leaves quite a bit to be desired, but looking at some of their live stuff from back in the day, he was plenty clean live. His vibrato's never been good, but his alternate picking and tapping used to be quite a bit better; he's just getting old and falling out of practice.
Quote by Geldin
Kirk used to be quite a fair bit better than he is now. He's sloppy live and his improvisation leaves quite a bit to be desired, but looking at some of their live stuff from back in the day, he was plenty clean live. His vibrato's never been good, but his alternate picking and tapping used to be quite a bit better; he's just getting old and falling out of practice.

I think fame went to Hammetts head, he got into the mentality that because he was selling millions of records, he diidn't need to practice anymore.

One of the few players that got worse as time went on
I dunno whether it's age or ego or something else, but he definitely did not age well. Unlike Tony MacAlpine....
Quote by Geldin
I dunno whether it's age or ego or something else, but he definitely did not age well. Unlike Tony MacAlpine....

I doubt it's age. Look at Sabbath, Maiden and Priest. All guitarist from them bands improved as the aged
I thought this forum was about helping each other with technique and offer useful advice and encouragement not bicker over lead guitar preferences.

@zOoGpoOz

As stated somewhere in ^ that rage fest. Slow it down and play it slowly and work on clean notes at a slow speed then increase the speed as you get comfortable with it. It is only a matter of training your fingers to work how you want them too.
pssh. Answer questions? Unreasonable!

Anyhow, I agree, mrbabo, that lots of folks have gotten better with age, though I'd disagree with the folks you named. Maiden's stayed pretty consistent, barring Dickinson's voice feeling more strained than ever of late. Priest has been in the same boat, though their live show has definitely gotten better (in my opinion) since Richie Whatshisname joined up. Sabbath got a million times better when Ozzy got replaced with someone who could carry a tune, but none of their instrumental parts are or ever were anywhere near the individual instrumentalists' skill limit.

A good example of someone I think got a lot better with age is David Gilmour. His melodic sensibilities have gotten a lot better with age (and he started out pretty amazing). I also feel like Tony MacAlpine and Al di Meola have both gotten better, too. And Holdsworth.