Yes
67 17%
No
305 77%
I'm Not Sure
25 6%
Voters: 397.
Page 1 of 7
There is a HUGE difference between being a believer of God and being Religious.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ

EDIT: Yes.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Last edited by stealstrings at Feb 4, 2012,
Quote by Vauxite
There is a HUGE difference between being a believer of God and being Religious.

I think that depends upon the religion you follow really. If you follow an Abrahamic religion, then believing in God is pretty much a manditory part of that religion and the two go hand in hand, but if you follow a Buddhist or a Hindu religion, belief in God isn't necessary.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Feb 4, 2012,
I dont follow a religion. I also do not believe in any popular Gods. I believe evolution made man. I believe the big bang happened a bajillion different times and places and we are just one seemingly 3D result.
Does that answer all of your religious questions?
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I'm not sure about that, 'I believe in God, but I'm not religious' doesn't make much sense to me. But you have a point.

Greek Gods, do those follow a particular religion?
I believe in a higher being that created the universe but im not christian. Because christians follow a book that isnt true.
I dont see how you can be religious but not believe in a god
I will say yes.
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
I'm a born-again Christian. Christians have a relationship with Jesus. Religious people fly planes into buildings, blow up abortion clinics, and molest altar boys.
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
Would make no difference to my life if I did or I didn't so why bother?
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Greek Gods, do those follow a particular religion?

Yes, it's a polytheistic religion that most today would regard as a pagan religion.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I believe in a higher being that created the universe but im not christian. Because christians follow a book that isnt true.

So what originaly influenced you into believing in a higher being that created the universe?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I dont see how you can be religious but not believe in a god

Read this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism_in_Hinduism
Nay.

I gave up religion a year or so ago; it provided questions with no answers.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by maker's marked
I'm a born-again Christian. Christians have a relationship with Jesus. Religious people fly planes into buildings, blow up abortion clinics, and molest altar boys.

no, people who blow stuff up are called extremists, not religious people. idiot.
to answer TS question, no i am not. these ideas of higher beings and such were "invented" cos people werent clever enough to understand what was around them so they decided someone special built it. we're learning about the universe all the time and its only a matter of time before evrything is explained.
Quote by itamar100
no, people who blow stuff up are called extremists, not religious people. idiot.

ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Quote by sfaune92
Nay.

I gave up religion a year or so ago; it provided questions with no answers.

Don't study philosophy then :P
Quote by Wisthekiller
I was raised in a way that taught me that a few religions were great from taking morals from, but don't believe the gist of the religions, just follow some rules.

So no.

Just out of interest, those rules you follow, would you say you religiously follow them?

When we say we do something 'religiously' we're saying we do something in a uniform pattern, a routine we follow quite closely. For example I could say that I religiously go on the UG forums every morning while religiously drinking my first pot of coffee of the day.

It's interesting to consider that a person could follow some religious rules religiously but not actualy be religious.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Yes, it's a polytheistic religion that most today would regard as a pagan religion.

So what orginaly influenced you into believing in a higher being that created the universe?

Read this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism_in_Hinduism

I didnt know it was linked to a religion. I just figured it was a standard belief.

Uh, the usual god role in relation to humans. I cant understand how the existence beyond our universe works, so i figured it was created. Because theres no reason this multiverse needed to exist. It could have been empty. Everything could have been nothing. Existance of everything could just not be. So i figure, outside this universe there are organic life, that we grow, as a universe, off of, or form. This organic life is a part of a higher life in the same manner. An infinit super fractal.

I will tomorrow, but i need to ****ing sleep. I cant stay up till 6am every night. Why am i so scared of sleeping? I feel like im gonna die. Every night. I feel so scared of losing consciousness. Its horrible. I only fall asleep with my GF, because im calm and i can accept accept dying in her arms.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Uh, the usual god role in relation to humans. I cant understand how the existence beyond our universe works, so i figured it was created. Because theres no reason this multiverse needed to exist. It could have been empty. Everything could have been nothing. Existance of everything could just not be. So i figure, outside this universe there are organic life, that we grow, as a universe, off of, or form. This organic life is a part of a higher life in the same manner. An infinit super fractal.

So basicaly, couldn't one can say that you've developed your own form of philosophical religious belief?
Quote by itamar100
to answer TS question, no i am not. these ideas of higher beings and such were "invented" cos people werent clever enough to understand what was around them so they decided someone special built it. we're learning about the universe all the time and its only a matter of time before evrything is explained.

You are a sad, pathetic little boy.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
Quote by ChucklesMginty
You are my new favourite troll.

How am I trolling? I was answering the question, by giving my honest opinion.

I answer to my own set of gods. It's the same except i don't write books about it and millions of people don't follow me like sheep.
Quote by maker's marked
How am I trolling? I was answering the question, by giving my honest opinion.

When you said "I'm a born-again Christian. Christians have a relationship with Jesus. Religious people fly planes into buildings, blow up abortion clinics, and molest altar boys." you were essentially lumping all the good religious people in with all the bad religious people and considering them all as a single stereotype.
It's like saying that all Germans are Nazis or that all homosexuals are camp.

You were also suggesting that your own religion of 'born again Christian' is somehow above all other religious denominations, which you must admit does come across as a little arrogant.

slacker, I'm fairly sure he's trolling. don't waste your time

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Nope, and I generally don't consider organized religion as something people should want to be a part of.
I dont know how you would categorize me.

I respect Islam, Christianity, Buddhism. But Im not follower/supporter of those.

You guys think as if those 3 are the only spiritual concepts aviable.Thats Western chauvinistic way of thinking, no offense.

I would not say im firm believer. Im somewhere between agnostic and believer.
Im in to Crowley,Austin Osman Spare(heavily), past-life regression-aka reincarnation theory and just studying whatever is/was in Asia/Australia.

I guess you could call me a pantheist.
Yea, a pantheism is something I can relate to.

I mean, Im fine with atheists- few fellas of mine are atheists and few fellas are Christians.I just dont understand why you there, over the pond are so bothered by it.Whatever floats your boat.I dont deny science and proved-infact as a maritime engineer/seafarer Im obligated to study science.

If you find comfort in believe of higher entity- thats fine as long as you dont interfere with other peoples lives.
If you find comfort in believe that theres nothing but ultimate oblivion and we are living in Universe full of dead matter-thats fine, but dont interfere with the people that dont agree with you.
Last edited by Elderer at Feb 4, 2012,
Quote by Tismort
I answer to my own set of gods. It's the same except i don't write books about it and millions of people don't follow me like sheep.

Why?
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
No.

I believe in God, started reading the Bible and plan on reading many other religious texts. I just don't do it every Sunday and I take everything with a grain of salt.

Quote by Elderer
I dont know how you would categorize me.

I respect Islam, Christianity, Buddhism. But Im not follower/supporter of those.

You guys think as if those 3 are the only spiritual concepts aviable
.Thats Western chauvinistic way of thinking, no offense.

I would not say im firm believer. Im somewhere between agnostic and believer.
Im in to Crowley,Austin Osman Spare(heavily), past-life regression-aka reincarnation theory and just studying whatever is/was in Asia/Australia.

I guess you could call me a pantheist.
Yea, a pantheism is something I can relate to.
You look handsome all the way up there on your high horse. Tell us more about yourself.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Feb 4, 2012,
No, I believe in logic,science and evolution.. At least there is evidence and proof to back up any argument whereas in religion there are various stories with no proof and no evidence whatsoever...

But you can't debate with a religious person, they'll always throw the name God to back up their argument.. God, the only refuge of a man with no answers and no argument.
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Quote by 4baileyt
Don't study philosophy then :P

I do not intend to do so anyway.

There is still a difference though. Religion might give answers set in stone, but they expect us to accept a lot of "truths" without telling us why, thus they breed too many unanswerable questions.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Feb 4, 2012,
Quote by SlackerBabbath
You were also suggesting that your own religion of 'born again Christian' is somehow above all other religious denominations, which you must admit does come across as a little arrogant.

Maybe this isn't the place for this discussion, but since you made this statement...

Jesus did say this - "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." I don't think I'm better than anyone else. I just believe that Jesus is who he says he was.
I believe that people who follow other faiths are sincere. But it is possible to be sincere, and be sincerely wrong.

Quote by moscaespañol

slacker, I'm fairly sure he's trolling. don't waste your time

It's hard to tell, he could just have genuinely not realised how arrogant his post appeared to others, and if that was the case, then it would've been immoral not to inform him of it, kinda like purposfully not telling someone when their trouser flies are undone.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
kinda like purposfully not telling someone when their trouser flies are undone.

Wait, you're sopposed to tell them? I always just zipped it up for them... maybe that's why I get all those weird looks.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
No, I am not religious, and I believe Ignosticism is the most rational approach toward the concept of God. The main requirement of ignosticism is that it requires God to be defined before it can be discussed.

Wikipedia has a good article about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism
I don't really consider myself a religious person. I try to live my life following the virtues I believe in. There is nothing that a religion has to offer that I would not be able to do or live by without it. I'd much rather find my own wisdom and truths than to follow other people's findings. That's not to say I disrespect those who do however. We're all free to believe or not.
Not religious as I can be a decent human being without giving up things that are fun. I genuinely feel sorry for people who are their religion before they are a person. Enjoy your life while you are alive because your not going anywhere after.
Quote by maker's marked
Maybe this isn't the place for this discussion, but since you made this statement...

Jesus did say this - "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Did you know that the pharoah Akhenaten said much the same thing 1300 years earlier about his own relationship with the Egyptian monotheistic sun god known as the Aten?
Quote by maker's marked
I don't think I'm better than anyone else. I just believe that Jesus is who he says he was.

Why?

Jesus Christ was considered to be the Messiah because many say that he fulfilled Messianic prophecy, but there's quite a lot of Messianic prophecy that he didn't fulfill. There's little point in considering someone who didn't fulfill all of the Messianic prophecies as the Messiah because almost anyone could fulfill some of the prophecies.
Also, the Messiah was originaly prophecised as being a 'servant' of God, not as being God himself.

The Messianic prophecies fortell of the eventual arrival of a Messiah (or 'Christ' in Greek, literally meaning 'annointed one') who will be a "prophet" ("like Moses") of the Abrahamic God (Yahweh) who would "fear" and "obey" God, making it quite clear that the Messiah will not actualy be God or even a part of God himself. This same religion that came up with the concept of the Messiah also said that God is "one", not 'three in one' like a trinity but "ONE". It's something that they're quite adamant about.

According to the Torah (Deuteronomy 13:1-5 and 18:18-22), the criteria for a person to be considered a prophet are that he must follow the God of Israel (and no other god) he must not describe God differently than he is known to be from Scripture and he must not advocate change to God's word or state that God has changed his mind and wishes things that contradict his already-stated eternal word.

Christians consider Jesus to have brought about a 'New Covenant', effectively a "change to God's eternal word", which obviously means that Jesus couldn't have been a prophet, and if he wasn't a prophet, he obviously couldn't have been the prophecised Messiah.

Christians also worship Jesus as God, but as we have already ascertained Jesus couldn't possibly have been the Messiah and God at the same time because that would go against the very same prophecy that established the Messiah in the first place, it also goes against the very first of the 10 Commandments;
"I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery, you shall have no other gods before me."

Christians make images of Jesus on a cross and place them upon altars which they pray towards, and even have the sign of the fish to signify that they are Christians, both of which go against the next Commandment;
"You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth."
...and also the next Commandment after that;
"You shall not bow down to them or worship them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God"

So, according to the religion that wrote the prophecies that the Christian religion is based upon, Christianity is committing some major sins by following the Christian religion.

Quote by maker's marked

I believe that people who follow other faiths are sincere. But it is possible to be sincere, and be sincerely wrong.

Is it possible that you could be sincerely wrong?
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I'll take my chances.

Quote by Burningritual
Not religious as I can be a decent human being without giving up things that are fun. I genuinely feel sorry for people who are their religion before they are a person.

I genuinely feel sorry for people who seem to assume that people are always their religion before they are a person.

Quote by SlackerBabbath

Is it possible that you could be?
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
to be honest, I thought they were awful. I mean some of the songs our drummer's written was better than their stuff.