Anyone know a good luthier in england in and around Derbyshire? It's because I want to want install some single coil pickups in my BC rich Gunslinger retro and this guy my mate recommended gave me a quote of £105 with everything done and me bringing the pickups in. That was just for installing a neck pickup.If anyone has done this before it'd be nice what was charged as well. Thanks
]
Do it yourself, installing pickups is fairly straightforward, all you need is a soldering iron and some solder
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
The body needs routing for the single coils,the pickup selector and probably all the wiring needs holes drilled for it.
]
Quote by falcon1439
The body needs routing for the single coils,the pickup selector and probably all the wiring needs holes drilled for it.

Ahh in that case yes a luthier would be a good idea lol, i thought you just meant swapping out the current pickup for another
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Ahh in that case yes a luthier would be a good idea lol, i thought you just meant swapping out the current pickup for another

Nah,I've already practiced swapping pickups on my old guitar
]
I'm assuming it's 2 single coils you're looking to have installed?

A lot of the cost is because it's gonna take time to not smash up the finish while routing into it *does sums in head* I could probably do it for you a little cheaper but by the time you add in postage here and back it probably won't cost you any less, then again it's basswood so I could probably do you a whole new body for that price :p
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by GABarrie
I'm assuming it's 2 single coils you're looking to have installed?

A lot of the cost is because it's gonna take time to not smash up the finish while routing into it *does sums in head* I could probably do it for you a little cheaper but by the time you add in postage here and back it probably won't cost you any less, then again it's basswood so I could probably do you a whole new body for that price :p

The quote was for one single coil,and my gunslinger is the higher spec version,the body is alder

Where are you?
]
ahh, the BC Rich site only said it was available in Basswood...

I'm in Plymouth... so miles away from you plus I'm not sure I'd really like to take on a job like that >.< it's not an easy task :p hence why it isn't going to be cheap
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Couldn't tell without actually seeing the guitar, but the control cavity seems already big enough to put a selector switch in, so that's just a slot cutting job. Routing the cavity for the pups and drilling the holes without damaging the finish is a bit more tricky. It's probably around the ballpark I would charge... although I try to be competitive and I don't (yet) have years of experience to back me up.
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Quote by GABarrie
Couldn't tell without actually seeing the guitar, but the control cavity seems already big enough to put a selector switch in, so that's just a slot cutting job. Routing the cavity for the pups and drilling the holes without damaging the finish is a bit more tricky. It's probably around the ballpark I would charge... although I try to be competitive and I don't (yet) have years of experience to back me up.

How many years of experience do you think is needed?
]
well I have about 1 year and I could do it, I have a lot longer carpentry experience and I have routed through lacquer before but I generally use a cellulose lacquer not polyurethane which is much harder and easier to crack and chip so I'd had to do a few tests first

EDIT, poly is much harder (in hardness) therefore easier to crack >.< made no sense
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Last edited by GABarrie at Feb 4, 2012,
seems like a quality workman as far as I can tell, pricing seems reasonable too, so probably not ripping you off
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Quote by GABarrie
seems like a quality workman as far as I can tell, pricing seems reasonable too, so probably not ripping you off

So my suspicions were right
]