I just bought this guitar. I assume it's a classical and has had steel strings put on it in error. Am I right? There is no truss rod. it has pearl markers at 5, 7, 10 and 12th frets, only maker's mark is 'Kawai' on the headstock. The tuning pegs are thinner than my other classical, they also have two holes. The saddle is straight and made of metal.. Wow, the picture size allowance is pretty tight!
Attachments:
kawai bridge2.jpg
kawai headstock 2.jpg
Last edited by mrfretful at Feb 4, 2012,
Yeah it definitely looks like a classical guitar, I've never seen or heard of a steel string guitar with a nylon string headstock
Martins have that awesome headstock for steel strings, but you are looking at paying big $. I would assume this is a classical because of the bridge. Also the string posts look like they might be wood.... steel strings would eat through those in no time.
thanks, the posts are metal. they're about half the diameter of normal classical ones (usually made of plastic?)
That's a typical classical-guitar bridge. The screws usually indicate a lower-quality instrument.

The problem that tends to arise is that the steel strings pull the bridge off. The screws might provide some reinforcement, which may result in the top pulling up....

That being said, we had a cheap Japanese guitar (Suzuki) many years ago that had been strung with steel; my wife played it for several years without any problems.
If you want to do that, I'd suggest going the "silk & steel" route.
I put steel strings on my classical when I was ten. It was great until the bridge started to lift! I can't find much info on Kawai, it seems they did make some good guitars though. I bought this one because of the zebrawood on back and sides and the rosette is not bad, I can't tell if it's solid top though. The rosette material prevents you being able to tell what the top is via looking at the sound hole. Going to change the strings and see if it is any good.
Attachments:
kawai zebra.jpg
kawai rosette.jpg
Quote by mrfretful
II bought this one because of the zebrawood on back and sides and the rosette is not bad, I can't tell if it's solid top though. The rosette material prevents you being able to tell what the top is via looking at the sound hole.
That's easy. Put a mirror in the guitar body, and see if the grain pattern follows through from the top.

I would argue with your choice of title, since a "classical" guitar, is an "acoustic" guitar as well.

There are a number of guitars intended for steel strings that have open headstock tuners. They are rare, and do have truss rods. So, their open headstock is mostly for aesthetics.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 4, 2012,
I would like to mention that there Are steel-string acoustics without adjustable truss rods. Martin did it for decades. I have one, it can only take light gauge. It's basically just one or two steel rods inside the neck, with no adjustment.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:
2008 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top (Cherryburst)
1964 Gibson Melody Maker D (DC)

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
MXR Distortion III (C4 Modded)
Quote by RockinSince1993
I would like to mention that there Are steel-string acoustics without adjustable truss rods. Martin did it for decades. I have one, it can only take light gauge. It's basically just one or two steel rods inside the neck, with no adjustment.
Dude, whether it's adjustable or not is a moot point, it's still a truss rod. It is granted, not as effective as an adjustable truss rod.

That said, a guitar constructed doesn't have the obvious "tell" that the adjustment bolt gives. So, I do see your point.

Most steel string guitars, at least from a longevity standpoint, are best served with a standard light gauge string set.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 4, 2012,
I assume with a strong magnet. This does suppose the the frets are lacking in ferrous material. (They're supposed to be nickel silver. High end guitars are sometimes offered with stainless steel frets. Common iron or steel frets would rust). I haven't tried this, it's just a scatter brained theory
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 5, 2012,