Hello all! I have been taking lessons for about a year now on an acoustic. I still feel like I struggle with the size of my instrument and am considering moving to a different guitar. I am interested in jazz, blues and some rock, so I was thinking a semi-hollow body electric. They seem to be fairly versatile instruments as far as musical genre goes. I currently play an Ibanez acoustic and have experience with no other brand of instrument. I am a female of short stature with small hands. Any suggestions as far as brands, neck playability etc. I want to stay under $1000 so probably no Gibsons, etc. Lots of expert advice would be appreciated!
Godin Kingpin. Pretty small size, but without sacrificing tone. Great for jazz, blues, rock, and even pretty good for punk and garage rock. Has a great sound, even when not plugged in, and it's well within your budget. Also easy to play. The floating bridge is a bit of a bitch when it comes to string change, but you've just gotta change them one at a time.

It's also a little bit of a pain to play standing up because the neck is heavier than the body, but you get used to that.
I was in a similar predicament recently wanting a semi-acoustic and eventually settled on the Washburn HB35. I tried the Epiphone Dot and Sheraton, Ibanez AS73 & AS93 plus the Washburn HB30 & HB32 before I eventually bought mine. Given that I would strongly suggest the Washburn HB35 (http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/Washburn-HB35-Hollowbody-Electric-Guitar-Natural.html) or an Ibanez AS103 (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-AS103-Artcore-Custom-Series-Semi-Hollowbody-Electric-Guitar-514208-i1499728.gc)

If you are willing to buy used you may be able to actually source a Gibson ES335 but honestly I don't know the american market to say whether it would come under budget
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Quote by anglin1
I still feel like I struggle with the size of my instrument

Oh god, story of my life.

Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
you dont need a guitar in the kitchen. get some pans instead.
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by leigh596

Will you promise to get some originality if she picks up some pans? Misogyny is HILARIOUS, bro. Congrats on the incredibly clever joke.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
As people have already mentioned, PRS SE hollow body, or any Ibanez hollow body. Man ibanez's solid top hollow body guitars are awesome.
10 posts in an hour in the Newbie Forum? That's what happens when you put girl in the title...

OP, this forum is used for new members who need to ask a question about the site. If you repost this thread in the Electric Guitar Forum you will get more and better responses.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
PRS SE Hollowbody.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You can play Daisy Rock without social stigma, so get a Daisy Rock Bangles signature model and lord it over every male guitar player you meet for the rest of your life. I know that's what I would do. (Seriously, it's a really cool guitar. Mini humbuckers! Trapeze tailpiece! Semi-hollow body! Sparkle finish! Makes me wonder what this damn Y chromosome is even good for.)
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
how heavy rock, and how much of it?

semihollows are great for the lighter end of things, but i wouldn't want one for heavier stuff, especially if it were my only guitar.

also, what amp do you have? that affects things an awful lot, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by leigh596

LMAO.. cha ching!!!..
#1 2001 MII Jackson DK-2
#2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire
#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe
#4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson
#5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special
#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
Quote by anglin1
Wow what a bunch of jerks

relax lil one... just givin you a hard time and meant nothing by it..

and second of all.. im an asshole.. not a jerk..... happens when you get older

as for a perfect guitar.. hell you dont ask for much.. took me ~16 years to achieve that goal..

What ever guitar fits your style of music and you are comfortable playin

Didn't realize this was the testosterone forum

haven't never been part of a guy filled guitar forum before? its like that
#1 2001 MII Jackson DK-2
#2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire
#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe
#4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson
#5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special
#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
You say you have small hands, so you probably would want to stay with a shorter scale guitar (the frets won't be so far apart)--a Squier Jaguar is a short scale -24"-as opposed to std Fender scaled (25-1/2") or what is referred to as "Gibson" scale (24-3/4) guitars. Hopefully there is a music store near you where you might try one out--and a Squier would be well within you budget-and the 24" scale should be fine for smaller hands--here's a couple links: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Jagmaster-Electric-Guitar-102809159-i1150688.gc or http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Jaguar-HH-Electric-Guitar-106512221-i1689622.gc
Quote by anglin1

yeah it's a total sausage fest unfortunately

but if you come over to the eg or gg&a forum you'll get less pit-alike answers.

actually in EG maybe not
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
how bout i get some pictures and ill help you in your search

lol jk. But seriously you should go to a guitar shop near you and play around till you find one that feels right. No one can tell you what's right for you.
Quote by anglin1

Yep, welcome to UG.

Anyway, I'll attest to the versatility of semi-hollows. Check out Epiphone's line of 339 models. They've got a smaller body than your standard Dot/335 and the Gibson scale that you'd probably be comfortable with.

I personally play a Schecter semi, one of the discontinued ones (C/SH-1), and they might be something to look into as well. The body is a standard superstrat type, so it'll feel like one of it's many solid body counterparts, but has the sound of a semi. It's got a bit of a beefy neck though, so you may find playing it to be slightly uncomfortable. But I do recommend, if you can find one, check one out.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
I'm new here, but it's a Boy's club I see. Anyway, for the girl asking about electric guitars. Think of the type of music you are wanting to play. Think of the artists you like - their style, their tone, what they play and go from there. I'm a girl. A tiny girl - 5'0 ft tall, 90 lbs with very small hands. I have a '57 Fender Strat reissue and I absolutely love it. The neck is perfect for my small hands and the tone is unbelievable. I could not ask for a better fitting guitar all the way around. Don't let the boys here or the big box guitar stores try to sell you something "girly" like a Daisy Rock or some other pink or girly guitar - just because Daisy happens to be a girl. I'm not knocking her guitars, but I beg you to look around. Take as much time as you need to find the right guitar. Just go out there and play as many guitars as you can. Find the one that fits YOU, your style, and one that's in your budget. You can always buy used if the guitar you want new is out of your budget. Good luck, girl.
Last edited by Velvet_Blue at Mar 7, 2012,
Quote by anglin1
Hello all! I have been taking lessons for about a year now on an acoustic. I still feel like I struggle with the size of my instrument and am considering moving to a different guitar. I am interested in jazz, blues and some rock, so I was thinking a semi-hollow body electric. They seem to be fairly versatile instruments as far as musical genre goes. I currently play an Ibanez acoustic and have experience with no other brand of instrument. I am a female of short stature with small hands. Any suggestions as far as brands, neck playability etc. I want to stay under $1000 so probably no Gibsons, etc. Lots of expert advice would be appreciated!

CONSIDERING YOUR SIZE,STYLE AND BUDGET AN ePIPHONE DOT 335 SPECIAL.yOU CAN CLICK ON THE EPIPHONE AD ON THIS SITE AND GO THHEIR PRODUCTS AND FIND IT.GOT MY FIRST GIBSON ES-330 TDC IN 64 AND I'M LOOKING AT ON THE WALL NOW.. DON'T KNOW THE EXACT NAME OR PRICE,BUT I'VE PLAYED ONE AND WOULD BUY IT IF I NEEDED IT.I USE A 60,S LES PAUL CUSTOM WHEN I WANT WHAT IT'S GOT,BUT AFTER A COUPLE OF HOURS STANDING UP PLAYING IT,FEELS LIKE MY SHOULDERS BROKE.DAISY ROCK GIRL GUITARS ARE NOT A JOKE.TRY ONE,YOU,LL BE SURPRISED....FOR $200.00 BUCKS YOU GET A REAL GUITAR.....panhead201
Last edited by panhead201 at Mar 10, 2012,
Don't know if it's a good ol boys club or not.Got 45 years pro on&off stage.I joined a month before you did.Strictly Blues and jazz.No pedals,no distortion,I joined looking for an answer to a question about an alternative to my SWR bass amp.Sounds like crap at record levels.Line out/record or mic'ed.Still ain't got an answer.Hang in there .Bring Back Mono...panhead201
that guy above me is right sad$TATUE or whetever it was.I did'nt know epiphone made 339 series. I've got 10-20,000.00 gibsons sitting here and Ive got a one of a kind schecter sitting here I play all the time.I'm lefty.The schecter was a gift.I have no idea if they're all like this but this things incredible.Antique amber ten top.5 piece neck thru,string thru,gold hardware fit finish and sustain are incredible.If you read this and want a couple of pics I'll try to post em on my stuff.
I picked up an Ibanez AG75 a couple of weeks ago that I really like. It is a true hollow body electric so it has more punch unplugged than a semi-hollow does, of course it does feedback more easily when plugged in but just adjusting the volume/tone will fix that. It may be a larger guitar than youre looking for so be sure to try before you buy.