I bought a Line 6 Spider IV 30w Last year for $300, but I'm now looking for something with more power and better sound. And before anyone asks or gives me the "you need to experiment with many amps to find the one for you" talk, I will be testing the ones that I have interest in, then narrowing it down from there. Like I stated in the title, my budget is $250-$350, but $350 would definitely be pushing it. I'm currently looking at the Line 6 Spider IV 75 and the Peavey Vypyr 75. But I will decide if I want either one next time I'm at Guitar Center.

TL;DR-
Need a new amp.
Budget is $250-$350.
Want recommendations.

Thanks!
----Edit----
I play mostly Metal and Thrash Metal, but some Rock too.
Pretty much anything from Kiss to Ozzy to Metallica, but more Metallica.
I'd much rather get a new amp, but if it's a really good deal, I'll go used.
Last edited by jd3v3n3y at Feb 4, 2012,
new or used ok?

What kinds of music do you play?

And... you want to upgrade your spider with.... a bigger spider? Depending what styles you're after, surely you can do better than a spider for $350.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Wow. Sorry, forgot to put all that extra info.
Anyway, I play mostly Metal and Thrash Metal, but some Rock too.

Updating my post now...
DONT GET A SPIDER!! why would you upgrade a spider for a louder spider if you wan a better sound?!
just because you can reach higher levels of shit, it doesnt make that shit better shit.
Quote by itamar100
DONT GET A SPIDER!! why would you upgrade a spider for a louder spider if you wan a better sound?!
just because you can reach higher levels of shit, it doesnt make that shit better shit.

Exactly why I'm trying them out first. I was just leaning on the off chance that the 75 would sound better... I guess not. Still gonna test it though.
but its the same sound with more power. it will be EXACTLY the same!!!

there is lots of used potential in some used stuff. like there was a used crate v 30 and i think a V50 in my guitar center. put a the right pedal in frot and you got thrash metal.

...but right pedal could be a 100 or 300 dollar pedal depending on how picky you are.
All the spiders sound the same. If you don't like yours right now, you won't like another one. Is that $350 including the money you can get trading in the 30W? Because honestly, $300 is not the price range where you can switch up for something at the same price point. If you want a better sound, its gonna cost you more cash.

And buy used. Otherwise you"ll end up downgrading if you're only spending $300.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Peavey Ultra. Or an XXX/JSX if you can find that, but Ultras usually go for around $250.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Yeah, a JSX would do those tones very well. Never played an ultra though. But definitely grab a JSX if you find one in your budget. It's a very good amp for thrashy type things.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by vayne92
Mesa rectifier full stack

Fail troll is failure
NURHURDURDURHUR
-Jet City JCA20 with a decent cab and OD pedal, tube swap down the road.

-Peavey VTM. One HELL of an amp for what they go for

-If you're lucky you can find a 5150/6505 combo for around $350, though that's probably more metal oriented than you want.

-Used Vypyr Tube 60, much better than the 75W model. Both are great modelers though!
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Feb 4, 2012,
Quote by jd3v3n3y
I bought a Line 6 Spider IV 30w Last year for $300, but I'm now looking for something with more power and better sound. And before anyone asks or gives me the "you need to experiment with many amps to find the one for you" talk, I will be testing the ones that I have interest in, then narrowing it down from there. Like I stated in the title, my budget is $250-$350, but $350 would definitely be pushing it. I'm currently looking at the Line 6 Spider IV 75 and the Peavey Vypyr 75. But I will decide if I want either one next time I'm at Guitar Center.

TL;DR-
Need a new amp.
Budget is $250-$350.
Want recommendations.

Thanks!
----Edit----
I play mostly Metal and Thrash Metal, but some Rock too.
I'd much rather get a new amp, but if it's a really good deal, I'll go used.

you play metal? then get a spider, hell, get anything with lots of noise and feedback.

however, if you want to play something requiring a good amp, look at vox valvetronix, or the ac4tv. but if your stuck on metal and chuggy chug, check to see if there are any engl amps in your price range.
^That's a pretty useless post to be honest haha. Valvetronix maybe, but I would pass on the AC4TV for what he's wanting. And you aren't going to find an Engl in the U.S. for $300
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
If you're only gonna play metal - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/randall-rg8040-75w-1x12-guitar-combo-amp/h71399000001000 - one of the all-time greats played metal with a Randall solid state.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Quote by Flux'D
-Jet City JCA20 with a decent cab and OD pedal, tube swap down the road.

-Peavey VTM. One HELL of an amp for what they go for

-If you're lucky you can find a 5150/6505 combo for around $350, though that's probably more metal oriented than you want.

-Used Vypyr Tube 60, much better than the 75W model. Both are great modelers though!

+1
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Get a used ValveKing. They're everywhere, and they're cheap. There's probably a couple on craigs list.

No joke, you can pick up a VK halfstack in your budget, if you find the right deal.

A used XXX or 5150 would also be good choices, but those are harder to find in that price range.

Vypyr Tube is a good amp, but you may not want all the versatility it offers.

Maybe a Jet City 22 (or whichever)? I am not very knowledgeable about those amps.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Fender G-dec 3 thirty i brought was 350$ (plus tax)

it comes with backing tracks u can jam over for practice or w/e n it has a phrase sampler/ and over dub which is basically you can record and loop over phrases u create , fuse software that comes with the amp allows u to download tons of different presets n backing tracks n effects not sure if ur an eric johnson fan but u cn get some of his signature tones on the amp

*Cliffs of dover* *Trademark*

tons of other stuff on it as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL9f7Pm6BVY&lc=7oT3iw0qk4S3xkDtCTYTzBQo9cClid45yulakvXTFoQ&feature=inbox

playing Halo theme on the fender G-dec 3 thirty

(been playin for 2 years )
"its not the destination.... so much as the journey" one once said
Last edited by Marqway at Feb 6, 2012,
Have you checked out the new Fender Super Champ X2.

Killer tube amp and you can get the head for $349.99