Whassup UG, I'm in the market for some PA speakers. I was using a pair of the massive Seismic Audio 2X15 passive towers for a long time, but they belonged to a buddy of mine. I moved, so I had to part with them.

At the moment I'm not gigging, but I want to use it for quiet(ish) jamming with a MFX when I don't feel like dealing with my amp, plus I can use it for monitoring through an intricate web of cables and adapters should I want to do some recording.

Here's the pertinent info...

Budget: I have about $300 right now, and this is the budget for ONE speaker. I can get another to match it at a later date.

Used is OK, but most of the used PA gear I see is beat to hell... So let's just say I'd prefer new, but used will work if it's in good shape.

Current gear: Carvin RX1200L powered mixer. Each amp pushes 400W, so I'm shooting for at least that in continuous rating.

I looked at the Carvin L1503, but haven't really found any reliable reviews. I have a fair amount of other Carvin stuff, and most of it is really good.

The Seismic Audio stuff is also appealing for the price, but not sure about quality. The ones I was using were pretty beefy and got quite loud, but they were also rated at twice the power my PA will push out. Not sure I'd want to run a "budget" speaker right at the max RMS power. Not a major concern at the moment though, since I'm not gigging, but I want something that would be OK for at least band practice when I find another band.

TL;DR Need PA speaker(s) that can handle 400W for $300 or less, new is preferred.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Don't know those particular ones but I'm guessing 15" driver plus a horn, yes?
I've never seen any Carvin PA stuff that wasn't a workhorse. That's a good configuration if it is a 15" two way. That's what I've always used. At really big gigs I'd sit them on a couple of W-bins but it had to be a pretty big gig needing lots of kick drum in the mix before I'd bother.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by jpatan
(specifically Des Plaines)

go the the miner street tavern.

look at the EV speakers there.

i sold them to john.

shit rawks yo.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Cathbard
Don't know those particular ones but I'm guessing 15" driver plus a horn, yes?
I've never seen any Carvin PA stuff that wasn't a workhorse. That's a good configuration if it is a 15" two way. That's what I've always used. At really big gigs I'd sit them on a couple of W-bins but it had to be a pretty big gig needing lots of kick drum in the mix before I'd bother.

It's actually a 3 way 15" with another 6" woofer, and a 1.5" voice coil (the carvin loudspeaker, that is). I don't know why I'm so hesitant about the Carvin stuff, my favorite guitar is a Carvin, and that PA is a monster. Has a ton of channels, and very cool features.

EDIT: OK, you got me... what is a W bin? Sounds like some kind of Aussie slang to me...

Quote by gregs1020
go the the miner street tavern.

look at the EV speakers there.

i sold them to john.

shit rawks yo.

I'll have to look that place up. Just got moved in a couple weeks ago, so still kinda scouting the area out.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Feb 4, 2012,
Quote by jpatan
I'll have to look that place up. Just got moved in a couple weeks ago, so still kinda scouting the area out.

it's the only decent place in downtown DP. i moved out of DP last summer but lived there for a loooooong time.

also i sent a PM to your profile.

the Beacon Tap and Lee Street Sports Bar (not sure on that name) are pretty cool too.

Beacon has $2 huge tap beers on Wednesdays.

most of the local bands suck ass, i know because i'm in one.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
see if you can find some JBL JRX125 towers. I have not found anything in their price range that can even come close.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
see if you can find some JBL JRX125 towers. I have not found anything in their price range that can even come close.

Those are a fair amount over my budget. Plus I'm looking to keep these on the small(ish) side. Like a 1X15. Hell I don't even really NEED a 15.... maybe even an angled 10 or 12 that I can use later as a monitor if I ever upgrade to bigger speakers would work.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes