Ok, so I posted in the wrong thread before. Woman of short stature with small hands seeking a semi hollow bodied guitar. I am accustomed to playing an Ibanez acoustic, but still struggle with the large body. I could use some suggestions on an instrument. I want something fairly versatile as I enjoy blues, jazz and rock. Please no "Hello Kitty" pics or suggestions that I should buy pots and pans instead. Thanks!
well, it depends on your budget... do you want another acoustic guitar? or an electric guitar? do you have an amp? if you don't, how much are you willing to spend in one?
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
I would like an electric under $1000 for guitar and amp, perhaps smaller than an acoustic.
well, i assume you will be wanting a solidbody, becuase they're smaller bodied than hollow bodies.

whatever you do, use 700 for the amp and like 300 on the guitar, because it's best to have a better amp than a better guitar. also, look for tube amps, or at least hybrids. i found that vox AC VR series sound really well, since they have a valve on the power amp, not in the pre amp, and therefore, they get the tubey sound. i liked them a lot.

as for the guitar, i think something like a cort kx custom or kx101 would be nice, they're like washburns x50PRO were before they made their quality go down.

And please, for your own good, try whatever you can try before you buy. that's the only way you're going to find something comfotable enough for you.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Ibanez makes some fairly small-bodied semi-hollows. My AS73 is pretty small but quite nice. Plus, you can probably find one used for about $200-$250 and then get a sweet amp and some pedals.

EDIT: If you want a solid body, you could probably find a used Mexican Fender for about $300. That's what I would do, personally.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Last edited by barden1069 at Feb 4, 2012,
Quote by anglin1
I would like an electric under $1000 for guitar and amp, perhaps smaller than an acoustic.

i'm a female.

i always look for light weight guitars.

i love my Taylor T5.

it's over your budget even used, but a guitar you should know.

as it's an acoustic and an electric, (one of the only ones) and plays like an acoustic.

you want to look at narrow bodied guitars.

guitars that are light and easy to play?

ibanez electrics are light as a feather with slim necks.

epiphone ultra2, is lightweight with acoustics in the bridge.

american masters has a sportster skinny guitar, looks amazing.

what style guitar do you like the looks of?

once you find a guitar, you can figure out the amp to compliment it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by CrazyPigeon
Some sort of Thinline Telecaster?

also a cool idea. tele's are an acquired tone, but the thinlines are nice to play.

always check weight of the specific guitar on line specs.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by Darkness in Zero
Already mentioned, Ibanez are freakishly light weight, and super thin necks.

Here is a link to their Hollow Body Electrics:
http://www.ibanez.com/HollowBodyGuitars/home

some of those are pretty bulky. you'd want to make a guitar to guitar comparison.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I'm not very seasoned when it comes to hollowbodies, but if it absolutely doesn't have to be semi hollow, then I'd also cast my vote on to the Ibanez camp, particularly the S-series. I've My SV5470F is ridiculously thin, very versatile, freakishly light, and has super slick feel and playability to it. The neck is one of the thinnest ones I've ever come across, but it's also quite wide, which might be bad if you've got small hands.

The SV5470F is most likely outside your price range, even if bought 2nd hand, but a whole lot of the S series guitars have similar features, as they're generally known for being very versatile, very light and very thin. IIRC, there are S series Ibanezes out there that have necks that are almost as thin, but not quite as wide. Anything with a Wizard III neck profile would probably fit you.

That's what I'd recommend - I actually advice against most conventional hollowbodies, since even though they're often quite thin, the body dimensions are still relatively large in most cases. A Stratocaster would be a good choice for anyone who wants a comfortable, versatile guitar, but even they are surprisingly heavy, or at least it feels that way if I first play the SV and then play my Strat.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
I'm gonna say the same thing I did in my last thread: PRS SE. I know it's not a semihollow, but the new model Custom 24's are very cool guitars and are stupidly versatile.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
*See my comment in your first thread* re: Ibanez AS93/103 and Washburn HB35
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
I posted back in your other thread--but it's a solid body, but I think it would be ok for what you want to use it for--recommended a Squier Jagmaster or Jaguar--both are shorter scale (24") guitars which should be well suited to smaller hands--and very inexpensive. For smaller hands you probably want to steer clear of std. Fender scale (25-1/2) necks--probably don't want to go any more than what is commonly referred to a "Gibson" scale (24-3/4)--so when shopping--look for the scale--think you'll find a shorter scale more to your liking.
Guy posting in thread.
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Or you could try the PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollowbody. They're pretty nice but a bit more expensive.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
as i asked in your original thread, how heavy rock do you play and how much of it?

semi-hollows are great, but if you play a lot of heavier stuff a solidbody would likely be a better idea.

I like light guitars too, like jenny. and as someone else said, semis can be fairly bulky too, a smaller solidbody might be easier to manage.

EDIT: oh yeah, and what's your amp? $1000 is a lot to spend on a guitar if you still have a starter pack amp. Not saying you necessarily do (and it's not because you're a woman, i do this in all threads), but it's worth asking.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My first thought was an Ibanez AJD/AWD:

But it appears Ibanez have selfishly discontinued them... (Probably years ago, I don't really keep up to date) You might see one crop up used though.

Failing that a PRS SE semi might be worth a shout, they'll be smaller than most semis on the market.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
luna gazelle, love it. its a semi hollow electric, seems like its totally built for women, and not that expensive either, you'd have enough money left over to buy a nice used tube amp.
Quote by anglin1
Ok, so I posted in the wrong thread before. Woman of short stature with small hands seeking a semi hollow bodied guitar. I am accustomed to playing an Ibanez acoustic, but still struggle with the large body. I could use some suggestions on an instrument. I want something fairly versatile as I enjoy blues, jazz and rock. Please no "Hello Kitty" pics or suggestions that I should buy pots and pans instead. Thanks!

Some ideas:

1) Kaki King is a fairly small woman who plays the hell out of the guitar (do yourself a favor & check her out). I know she uses Ovation acoustic/electrics, but have no idea what she uses when she goes electric. Do a little digging, and you should be able to find out.

(a quick look told me Hamer Newports and Fender Teles...but the articles weren't new)

2) Jon Kammerer is a luthier who operates out of the Chacago area. His standard models start at around $995. One of them is a full-scale small-bodied semi-hollow that weighs about 5lbs. (I plan to get one eventually with Lace Alumitones and drop another 3/4ths of a pound off that.) Here's a link to his site, which will give you a message about how his site is down, and then directs you to Facebook.

http://jonkammererguitars.com/

Here's an old video of him showing it at a guitar show (it how has an actual model name):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqZO_rADub4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

3) Parker Fly. Pricey, but versatile, light and extremely well made. Solidbody but made of exotics.

4) Steinberger headless. Solidbody, but a very tiny body.

5) DBZ Regal. Identical to their Imperial, but with a smaller body. Solidbody, but very thin- about the thickness of an iPhone at the edge.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 5, 2012,
What about the smaller accoustics from the likes of Lag? They make some cracking guitars at a good price. (That's if you want a smaller accoustic)
Quote by Makko Mace

it's adorable. is there a weight on that guitar?

i only see an 11 lb shipping weight.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Some ideas:

1) Kaki King is a fairly small woman who plays the hell out of the guitar (do yourself a favor & check her out). I know she uses Ovation acoustic/electrics, but have no idea what she uses when she goes electric. Do a little digging, and you should be able to find out.

(a quick look told me Hamer Newports and Fender Teles...but the articles weren't new)

5) DBZ Regal. Identical to their Imperial, but with a smaller body. Solidbody, but very thin- about the thickness of an iPhone at the edge.

she still plays mostly the hamer now whenever she picks up electrics. not seen a tele for a while.

and saw the dbz imperial, if the regal really is smaller, i'd like that.
How big are your hands? Think about fitting your fretboard hand too. I'm thinking that the nut width and scale length of an ES-175 would fit you better than a longer scale length and a flatter, wider fretboard for a small lady's hand.
Body depth and weight affects playability, but buy a guitar that fits both hands, your body, and your playing style. Rock on.
Gibson or Epiphone ES-339. Epiphone have also just launched the Ultra-339 which has a special pickup in it for blending in acoustic-like tones. The 339s are smaller and lighter than the full-size 335 archtop guitars Gibson and Epiphone are known for, but still have mostly the same full tone. Their slightly smaller size makes them very fractionally less prone to feedback problems too.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Ashe_Mc
she still plays mostly the hamer now whenever she picks up electrics. not seen a tele for a while.

and saw the dbz imperial, if the regal really is smaller, i'd like that.

From DBZ's website. ( http://www.dbzguitars.com/ ):

The DBZ Guitars Royale is surely a testament to the axiom “less is more”. Based on the Imperial body design, the DBZ Guitars Royale has a smaller footprint in overall body size. It still has the exact same (thin) edge profile, but a tighter tailpiece configuration; making this guitar one that any Humbucker® player would desire. This guitar was new in 2011 and is destined to become a classic.

And even just looking at the thumbnails, you can see the Royale is smaller than the Imperial.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!