Hi!
I currently own a Seagull Entourage Rustic acoustic/electric guitar.

I don't like the sound I get unplugged and don't really dig the guitar itself.

Can I use my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe to play acoustic guitar? I tried it and did not really enjoy the sound.

Was it because it's not an acoustic amplifier?
Should I get another guitar? IS THIS GUITAR A GOOD CHOICE?
Should I get an acoustic amplifier?

I almost only play blues.
You did put fresh strings on before you posted this didn't you?

You don't really need an acoustic amp, but you do need to use the clean channel.

EQ-ing a lot of the high and mid range out of the guitar and amp will generally yield a more pleasant solo tonality. Piezoelectric pickups tend to sound somewhat "brittle". Again, a high cut and low boost will remedy that.

Keep in mind really bright settings grab your attention and sound very good at first. But, they can be very tiring after a while, sometimes without the player realizing it.

If you can get near a modeling amp, sample all the clean channels.

Large amps turned down sometimes sound thin. some bass boost helps a bit with this.

Seagull guitars have a reputation for good sound. It might just be your taste. No offensive intended.

You should test some other guitars and amps, so as we'd know what does sound good to you.
Thanks for the help.
I did put fresh string just yesterday

When playing with the fender amplifier, I often get bass feedback. (WOOF).
How can I avoid this?
Last edited by JAMESBLUES at Feb 4, 2012,
Quote by JAMESBLUES
Thanks for the help.
I did put fresh string just yesterday
OK, you need to give them time to settle in. Brand, brand, new strings are just as bad as worn out strings. They tend to sound a bit, "tinny", and lacking in bass

Quote by JAMESBLUES
When playing with the fender amplifier, I often get bass feedback. (WOOF).
How can I avoid this?
Too loud, too close, and too much bass boost, are all prime candidates for cause of feedback. Which, or how many, of these cardinal sins are you violating? An acoustic is always going to feedback more, and at a lower volume than a solid body.

You can always use a sound hole plug, but that option is mostly employed in live performance where playing loud is more of a necessity. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/planet-waves-screaching-halt-guitar-soundhole-plug

Just to make conversation, Ibanez AE preamps have feedback limiting features. Called "Shape shifter", it's actually a notch filter that helps to tune out the specific resonance causing the feedback. It helps, but doesn't eliminate the problem. In the end, you still need dial back on the gain.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 4, 2012,
I'm wondering if a Fishman Loudbox Mini would sound much better than my Fender HRD... ?

Should I:
- Play with a better acoustic/electric guitar trough the Fender HRD
- Play with my current acoustic/electric guitar trough a Fishman Loudbox Mini
- Play with a better acoustic guitar

Thanks for helping me!
Acoustic guitar amps tend to be very clean, and very bright.

I really don't know if that's what you're looking for.

The guitar you already have, has a good reputation for decent sound quality.

I really can't tell you anything more than to try out different combinations until you find something you like.

Hell, part of liking the sound of one particular guitar could be based on mood. Someone might be in the mood for edgy one day, and mellow the next.