in a 2 hour session should i practice a few techniques for large chunks of time or a variety of techniques for shorter amounts of time??

im nearly 3 month beginner.
I 2nd Orryn. I'd also structure the session: warm up, play a cover song that gets you pumped up and ready to play then move into the things that are needing the most work technique wise (sweeping, muting etc.). Then finally ending with theory if your studying that and cool down exercises.
dont set time like 2 hours or so, at least for me i never did that....maybe it would be 2 hours over the day but never in one sitting....when ever you have free time pick it up and techniques...better yet find songs that have those wanted techniques and play those...
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
If you've only been playing that length of time, I'd spend my time tackling easy songs, trying to smooth out chord changes, and trying to keep time well. You don't need to do much specific "technique" practice - just make sure you're getting the basics together well.
Bit of a harsh reply... even though it is good advice.

What I'd do if I were you, is simply learn songs you like. If you come across any new techniques, learn them. If you find your technique to be lacking, improve!
Yeah
Quote by wld-kid
in a 2 hour session should i practice a few techniques for large chunks of time or a variety of techniques for shorter amounts of time??

though though question.

here is my input:

When trying to learn new material.. limit the time you put into it and take breaks.. otherwise you will tire yourself and diminish your learning curve potentially.

Spend the most time working on the things you suck more, but are also of interest to you.

Experiment a lot and find that exact balance once you find how many things you can handle without feeling overwhelmed thats it.. you just need to keep track of your progress to see what works best for you.

But overall it is better to work and concentrate on 3 things than work on 30.
If you can stucture it so that the things you "master" build on new things then thats even better

Try to concentrate on doing anything you are doing with good technique, it will save you immense ammounts of time in the future :P
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Feb 4, 2012,
Quote by Freepower
If you've only been playing that length of time, I'd spend my time tackling easy songs, trying to smooth out chord changes, and trying to keep time well. You don't need to do much specific "technique" practice - just make sure you're getting the basics together well.

yes sorry when i said techniques i meant chords.power chords,scales,hammer ons etc

i like to have structure to my practice to make sure im covering all areas and not just one getting better at one part and another staying dormant...my 2 hr sessions which i do..after my warm up are....

20 mins chords-40 mins songs im learning which obviously have all different types of chords etc.. so you cold say thats one hour of chords/pwer chords practice
20 mins scales then 40 mins learning the 2 solos for these beginner songs....

should i also be thowing in practice time for hammer ons pull offs pinch harmmer ons etc?its just when i reach these bridges i dont wanna be starting from scratch with these techniques id like to be getting better at them too bit also dont want to overload myself!

as far as fun goes yes im having loads of it thats why i asked because when i practice one thing ie chords for like an hour and not part of a song i get bored....
Quote by wld-kid

should i also be thowing in practice time for hammer ons pull offs pinch harmmer ons etc?its just when i reach these bridges i dont wanna be starting from scratch with these techniques id like to be getting better at them too bit also dont want to overload myself!

i wouldnt worry too much about this stuff yet unless you really want to, concentrate on chords and learning songs, if you thing youre ready try barre chords. They will do wonders for your finger strength and stamina
Very interesting responses, only recently after watching petrucci's rock discipline have i decided to structure some sort of practice regime.

Usually i would sit down and warm up both hands thoroughly running threw scales and easy arpeggios then a few fun songs to whip out then one thing leads to another and 3 hours has passed by and the missus is whinging for dinner.

Play until your fingers bleed. Make the most out of every time you pick up the guitar. Don't just be a fanboy though. more progress is made by creating your own 3 minute composition than learning 20 covers.

at least thats my 2 cents.
Last edited by Forum User at Feb 5, 2012,
Quote by wld-kid

I'd recommend practicing your basic techniques in the context of learning some simple songs that you like. Stuff like alternate picking, strumming, chord changes, and some simple hammer-on and pull-off bits are good things to work on. Look at justinguitar.com for some advice on dividing your practice time up effectively and how to practice various techniques correctly.

Good luck, man!