Ok, so I have a Carvin Legacy 412 with Celestion v30s. Great cab, and I like the tone out of it, but I'm in a mode right now where I'm just trying a bunch of different stuff to see if I can continue to improve my sound. I'm thinking about swapping two of the v30s out for something else, again just trying to see what improvements could be made. My question is this: what other speakers are there that mix particularly well with v30s? I hear the classic combination is v30 and g12t-75. Are there any other good combinations as well?

My music style is mostly metal, everything from classic Maiden, Megadeth, Metallica, to brootz-brootz-chugga-chugga (I play a seven-string mostly). I need good cleans and articulate distortion. The amps I'll be running through the cab will be a Splawn QuickRod (I read on other threads that the QR doesn't like v30s, so while I'm happy with the tone so far, I'm thinking about getting a Splawn 2x12 with Small Blocks, so the QR may not be played through this cab as much), a Peavey Ultra+, and maybe sometimes a Mesa Stiletto Ace.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
G12t75, K100, G12h30, 12-65 are all good to pair with V30's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Unless you've tried the exact combination in an identical cabinet or have money to burn I'd recommend against mixing speakers. I've tried combinations that work perfectly in one cabinet but then fight in the mid range of another and sound awful. I've found no way of predicting whether the combination will be good or bad. As a result I just don't mix speakers any more.

I find there is a big enough variety in same speaker combinations anyway!

For metal you can't beat EV styled speakers IMO, especially for the higher gain stuff and for 7strings/low tunings. They will set you back a bit though, Eminence make similar speakers (Commonwealth) as do Weber (Michigan) and I'm sure there will be others.

For very early metal I like H30s (for Black Sabbath and the like.)

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
^ interesting, i didn't realise that

i was thinking about mixing and matching some speakers (or getting some cabs with mixed ones)

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ interesting, i didn't realise that

i was thinking about mixing and matching some speakers (or getting some cabs with mixed ones)

If somebody else takes the guesswork out of it I'm all for it! But I'd rather not spend my money doing it if I could end up with something crappy..

If it's a mixed cab that's sold that way (Bogner or Dr. Z for example) you can be pretty certain they would have checked for these sort of things and they'll sound great together.

Also I've noticed closed backs tend to be more sensitive, but that may just be coincidental.

EDIT: I will say one thing though: make sure the speaker sensitivity is the same (or at least very close) for all speakers or you may as well just have a 1 speaker set up anyway
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Last edited by power freak at Feb 4, 2012,
^ well, a little of column a, a little of column b

i might swap two of the v30s in my laney 4x12 if i can find anything in the correct impedance that'll work

but i've been looking at those roadkill cabs- they seem to be a new uk company, no idea what they're like, but they're cheap enough that it might be worth the risk. they offer emi governors, private jacks, or a mix (and say they'll offer any emis really, i was sorta thinking of a red white and blues and a screamin' eagle as eminence said that was a nice combo for a more american sound)

main reasoning though is that they're cool colours

EDIT: oh yeah i realise that regarding the sensitivity, don't worry. thanks for making sure i knew, though
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

but i've been looking at those roadkill cabs- they seem to be a new uk company, no idea what they're like, but they're cheap enough that it might be worth the risk. they offer emi governors, private jacks, or a mix (and say they'll offer any emis really, i was sorta thinking of a red white and blues and a screamin' eagle as eminence said that was a nice combo for a more american sound)

main reasoning though is that they're cool colours

I just googled them... Very interesting. We needed a (cheap) custom cab maker over here! Hopefully they're quality.

Speaking of emi... Seen the new EJ sigs? They look pretty original, a cross between british and american.. I don't know what to compare them to which makes me want a set!

I have no idea. I don't really have much experience with alnico speakers, and (as you know) they're a bit dear to just take a chance on Plus the fact that they're generally fairly low wattage means you can't even just buy one, you normally need a couple

and yeah. if those roadkills are nice that's awesome. I mean we already have zilla, matamp, martamp/mjw and the like, but these are noticeably cheaper. Not to say the other ones aren't worth it or anything, but they're not really at the "take a chance" kind of price. the roadkills are cheap enough (if they're any good, and as long as they'll extend their great pricing to other eminence models) that you could get cabs for different tones, whereas those other guys are more only for a tone I definitely know I want.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 4, 2012,
Thanks for the suggestions gentlemen! I just had to indulge in a little curiosity. If I can find some of those speakers Ippon suggested on the cheap, I don't mind risking a combination not sounding good just to have tried it. If certain ones don't sound good in that cab, I can re-sell them or find something else to put em in. Power freak, you mean EV as in Electro-Voice? I'll check them out as well.

I've learned lately from doing some tube-swapping that, without previous experience, you never know what you'll get out of a new combination, like power freak said. But at this point I'm willing to take that risk hoping maybe I'll come across something new that works really well. Also, the manufacturers should have specs on sensitivity of their speakers on their websites, correct? Is that just a matter of matching numbers?
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
sensitivity: yes, though don't go mixing and matching between manufacturers as they might rate the sensitivities differently. to clarify: I'm not saying don't mix and match speakers from different manufacturers, I'm saying don't assume that an eminence rated at 100dB is as loud as a celestion rated at the same efficiency.

it'd be worth emailing the various speaker manufacturers just in case they know of combos which work well.

though as power freak says, if it's a bit of a crap shoot depending on the cab, that might not help all that much. but it'd be better than nothing. Just in case some speakers really don't get on regardless of the cab.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Alright, thanks again.

It stinks that there's really no place where one would be able to test drive different combinations, aside from taking the plunge and dropping the cash. 'Twould be a great idea if a local shop would be willing to spend the money. Oh well.
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
^ Will do.

So, if I were to narrow down my search a bit, it appears that the G12t75 and k100 are the best from Celestion, the EVM 12L from EV, and maybe the Eminence Commonwealth or Weber Michigan speakers as well. Sounds like a good start!
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
I have a Splawn 212 with Small Blocks and I can attest to how awesome it is. I've never tried my Quick Rod through a V30 cab but I've read all the stories.

It sounds like you are going to get a Splawn 212 cab AND upgrade the Carvin cab no matter what? For what you play I'd probably go for the G12K-100 mix over the G12T-75s or the G12H30s.

Welcome to UG
Quote by Dave_Mc

I have no idea. I don't really have much experience with alnico speakers, and (as you know) they're a bit dear to just take a chance on Plus the fact that they're generally fairly low wattage means you can't even just buy one, you normally need a couple

and yeah. if those roadkills are nice that's awesome. I mean we already have zilla, matamp, martamp/mjw and the like, but these are noticeably cheaper. Not to say the other ones aren't worth it or anything, but they're not really at the "take a chance" kind of price. the roadkills are cheap enough (if they're any good, and as long as they'll extend their great pricing to other eminence models) that you could get cabs for different tones, whereas those other guys are more only for a tone I definitely know I want.

I couldn't imagine alnico being your thing anyway.. It would clash with your spandex and lack of tone controls.

Yeah, matamp are fantastic but when you just want something for speaker testing/whatever they are a little to pricey.. If they're any good I might pick up a 2x12 and wire it stereo so I can A/B speakers easily.. Or just have an extension for my stereo amp!

Quote by BCKRedBaron
Power freak, you mean EV as in Electro-Voice? I'll check them out as well.

I've learned lately from doing some tube-swapping that, without previous experience, you never know what you'll get out of a new combination, like power freak said. But at this point I'm willing to take that risk hoping maybe I'll come across something new that works really well. Also, the manufacturers should have specs on sensitivity of their speakers on their websites, correct? Is that just a matter of matching numbers?

That's the ticket.

With tube swapping you generally have quite a good idea of what a combo will sound like, you don't have that luxury with speakers unfortunately!

And yes the sensitivities are on the speaker spec sheet and will be rated as something like: "100dB @1W @1m" (or sometimes just 100dB for short) the dB rating is all that matters and a higher number means a louder speaker. As Dave said though you can't compare these numbers across brands very easily.. In general eminence will over-rate the sensitivity (as they do with wattage) compared to celestion.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I have a Splawn 212 with Small Blocks and I can attest to how awesome it is. I've never tried my Quick Rod through a V30 cab but I've read all the stories.

It sounds like you are going to get a Splawn 212 cab AND upgrade the Carvin cab no matter what? For what you play I'd probably go for the G12K-100 mix over the G12T-75s or the G12H30s.

Welcome to UG

I guess I'm just used to the way the QR sounds thru v30s. I've played it almost exclusively thru the Carvin cab since I bought it, aside from a Peavey 1x12 that has a H100 in it. It's a good sound IMO, but the Small Blocks have enough of a reputation for bringing Splawns to life that I gotta try it. So, yeah, I'll more than likely both buy the 212 and upgrade the Carvin. When I get the 212, the QR will be run thru that, unless I somehow needed the 412. And I'll run my Ultra thru the 412 for the most part.

One other question: where would I look online for some unbiased comparisons between speakers? Youtube?

to you as well, 311! Thanks for the warm welcome.
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Quote by power freak
(a) I couldn't imagine alnico being your thing anyway.. It would clash with your spandex and lack of tone controls.

(b) Yeah, matamp are fantastic but when you just want something for speaker testing/whatever they are a little to pricey.. If they're any good I might pick up a 2x12 and wire it stereo so I can A/B speakers easily.. Or just have an extension for my stereo amp!

(c) In general eminence will over-rate the sensitivity (as they do with wattage) compared to celestion.

(a) haha

though i do like vintage tones a lot too. Just with them not really being my main thing, forking out £150+ for a single speaker is very hard to do (not to mention the fact that with most of them, you'd have to buy at least two of them to cover the wattage of the amp!). Especially when the speakers which are aimed at my favourite music tastes are about half that!

(b) yeah if i do decide to go with them and go with a mix of speakers I'm going to ask them to put a mono/stereo switch and two jacks (assuming they can do that and it doesn't double the price!). if i'm getting two different speakers i might as well have the option of listening to them individually too.

(c) yep
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok guys, sorry to bump a thread that's been dead for a couple days, but I have one more question to ask. Which is more important to determining a speaker's loudness, the sensitivity or the power rating? Would it be accurate to say that a 70-watt speaker and a 100-watt speaker rated at the same sensitivity would have the same volume or close? Or is that way off? Can someone clarify this for me please?
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Quote by Ippon
The V30 X T75 is a common combination for Bogner's Uberkabs and Bogner has some of the best cabs (an opinion).

Another nice combo is the V30 X K100 ... usually seen in Diezel cabs.

Agreed!! Love my ubercab, it blows my mesa out of the water!! the v30's have the warmth and the G12 75's give it some nice bite... Great for metal!
Bogner Uberschall
Ubercab&recto oversize
LTD EC1000 Deluxe
LTD Viper 1000 Deluxe
Ibanez RGT
Jackson Warrior
Quote by BCKRedBaron
Ok guys, sorry to bump a thread that's been dead for a couple days, but I have one more question to ask. Which is more important to determining a speaker's loudness, the sensitivity or the power rating? Would it be accurate to say that a 70-watt speaker and a 100-watt speaker rated at the same sensitivity would have the same volume or close? Or is that way off? Can someone clarify this for me please?

The sensitivity is the "loudness" rating.. The wattage is basically irrelevant, especially when you're not running a speaker anywhere near its limit.

yep
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by power freak
The sensitivity is the "loudness" rating.. The wattage is basically irrelevant, especially when you're not running a speaker anywhere near its limit.

Ok. So, just an example to make sure I understand correctly: Celestion rates the V30's sensitivity at 100dB, and the G12K-100 at 99dB. So the V30 would be ever-so-slightly louder than the K100? And the V30 would be the same loudness as a G12H, which is also rated at 100dB? I think I got it, just wanna make sure I know what I'm talking about...
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Quote by BCKRedBaron
Ok. So, just an example to make sure I understand correctly: Celestion rates the V30's sensitivity at 100dB, and the G12K-100 at 99dB. So the V30 would be ever-so-slightly louder than the K100? And the V30 would be the same loudness as a G12H, which is also rated at 100dB? I think I got it, just wanna make sure I know what I'm talking about...

Yeah that's right.

word (redundant post times 2 )

if you'd even notice the difference at all, that is. i *think* 3db is the minimum difference your ear can hear. don't quote me on that, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?