hello all, I have an old guitar that has been sitting in a basement for 4+ years. I recently wanted to replace the nut with a new one and tried tapping the old nut off with hammer + piece of wood. Well I hammered too hard and broke the wood that holds the nut from going toward the headstock.

Here is a pic too show you what the damage is

http://imgur.com/ngW4L

is there a simple non expensive way to fix it? the guitar in question is an old ibanez grx20, it is currently $99-$149 new and if I can not fix it would like to replace it with something around the same cost or up to $200.

thanks for the help
The tap method you described was for LP styled nuts and that lookslike it was a Strat styled slot. Strat nuts are removed by sawing a slot through the nut (across it) and squeezing the two halves together to split it.
A professional fix will cost more than the guitar is worth used
Moving on.....
ah i see looks like I screwed up then hehe, thanks for the info KenG. guess I can use the guitar for parts or something.
Quote by KenG
The tap method you described was for LP styled nuts and that lookslike it was a Strat styled slot. Strat nuts are removed by sawing a slot through the nut (across it) and squeezing the two halves together to split it.
A professional fix will cost more than the guitar is worth used

from that pic, i can't see what's broken ken.

is the headstock cracked?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
from that pic, i can't see what's broken ken.

is the headstock cracked?

Hey Jenny! Looks like he knocked the rosewood off the end of the fingerboard behind the slotted styled nut. Picture somone kncking the nut off your Strat and taking all the rosewood off behind it and I think you'll see what I mean.
Mind you this is based on the fact that the glue left behind shows it was a thin strip of nut(Strat) vs the big base associated with an LP style. Of course I could be mistaken here but kncking the nut off the way the OP described could very well shear off the rosewood behind a Strat styled nut.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Feb 5, 2012,
Quote by KenG
Hey Jenny! Looks like he knocked the rosewood off the end of the fingerboard behind the slotted styled nut. Picture somone kncking the nut off your Strat and taking all the rosewood off behind it and I think you'll see what I mean.
Mind you this is based on the fact that the glue left behind shows it was a thin strip of nut(Strat) vs the big base associated with an LP style. Of course I could be mistaken here but kncking the nut off the way the OP described could very well shear off the rosewood behind a Strat styled nut.

ok yeah i wasnt sure which part ripped off.

if i was TS i would add wood, buy a precut nut and puzzle it back together
with wood glue.

it's a starter no matter what tones not going to get worse.
might as well use it if you can.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

@sstony
the pieces of wood are in pieces and are very brittle

@jj1565
any advice on piecing back together if the part of the wood that holds the nut in place is in pieces and too brittle to glue back on? I mean I can just get another guitar that is less then $200 seeing as I am a beginner and not needing a $200+ guitar.

if I do decide to buy a new guitar, I will need advice, so should I just post in this thread on my needs,price, etc? or start a new thread?

thanks
i understand you want a replacement guitar. and for $200, you can get a yamaha pacifica 112.

or a gx ibanez, or a washburn.
or something used.

if you're in the US and like LP style, you can check out Agile guitars.

i suggest you try to bump up you budget slightly, if possible.

and by fixing the nut situation, it might get you more time to do that.

to fix your other guitar?
i would go to a home store, or even a hobby store and find some thin wood strips you
can work with.

start with a clean work area on the headstock, layer new wood strips and wood glue to
build up the missing area, when you have the new precut nut in the area and set to go.

so buy the precut nut, size of the old nut should tell you which one to get.
pick up some wood glue and some thin wood strips.

and puzzle it together. the strings will help hold it all in place while it dries.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

thanks jj1565 for the advice

I will look into agile guitars, any specific model? I can boost budget to $300 if need be, but am not wanting to spend loads of cash on something I might not be good at hehe.

basically I just need something cheap, low mantinence, easy setup if need be, and plays decent for the price. not looking to go on gigs or play in front of a crowd or anything like that.
at $200, you want to make sure you get a stable bridge.

you dont want anything with a Floyd style. because it wont hold its tune.

at this price, guitars are a little hit or miss.
idealy you'd want to play the one you walk out the store with.

but with online shopping that's not always possible.
so if you do fall in love with an agile, just make sure you
love their return policy too.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62