Hello, it's the first time I post on this forum.

In my younger years I used to play piano and had music classes, but that's past and I don't remember a thing.

I wanted to start playing guitar, so I decided to ask some friends who already play. They told me to start with a classic guitar and later when "ready" buy an electric guitar. My goal is to play an electric guitar. Well, I'm here to ask your opinion about starting, if I should start with a classic ou acoustic guitar, and later buy a decent electric guitar.

Well, that's my doubts, and I hope you all can enlighten me of what I should do. Thank you, Filipe.
They're talking out of their arses.

If you want to play electric guitar, get an electric guitar....talking about being "ready" for an electric is just elitist bullshit.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Its really nice to own a good accoustic guitar, so in many ways I would say your friends are right. I would reccomend a steel-stringed one though. I have a nice accoustic which was about £300 and I also have an electric which I bought off of ebay for £20. The electric is extremely good despite the super low price. You could do this and then you have the best of both.

however, there is essentially very little difference between an electric guitar and an accoustic one. The size of the fretboard, the neck and the body will be different, but the chords and scales are exactly the same.

If you want to play electric guitar there is no reason not to get one. It won't make it harder or easier for you to learn on compared to an accoustic one.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Last edited by Hereiwas at Feb 4, 2012,
Quote by steven seagull
They're talking out of their arses.

EPIC

If you want to play electric guitar, get an electric guitar....talking about being "ready" for an electric is just elitist bullshit.

So, should I save at least for how much € to get one ...

___

Hereiwas, my budget is short for now, so I was recommended a classical guitar, but, I came here to be helped. If I was to start with a classical / acoustic, which one would you recommend for about 200€.
Last edited by _K_ at Feb 4, 2012,
Depends how much you can afford to spend. The more you spend, the better the gear.

If you can afford it, I'd say at least 200 for the guitar, more if possible. If you don't have the means then you can always get a cheap guitar now and maybe a better one later?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I personally believe that people should start on acoustic guitar, but if you think you'd be more interested in playing electric than go ahead and do that. Also we could use some basic information to help with some suggestions.

What type of music do you want to play?
Willing to go used?
Closest city?
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
Portugal, Porto.
Rock.
Used I guess I would be willing, but I don't guess I would find anything from my country in here.
Rock is kind of a broad genre, if you could give more advice it would help even more. ANd is the 200 for the guitar and amp or just the guitar alone?
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf

Quote by will42
Rock is kind of a broad genre, if you could give more advice it would help even more. ANd is the 200 for the guitar and amp or just the guitar alone?

With 200 I don't think I can get any decent electrical plus amp. I might just stick with classical or acoustic at the moment. I believe I want to stick around with an acoustic or classical while having an electric later.
I'm not to knowledgable about acoustics but when I started playing my first real acoustic guitar was an epiphone AJ200 with no cutaway and it was a very good learning guitar. But you could go over to the acoustic forum where they would probably have better recommendations for you.
Strauss!

Quote by AeolianWolf