I did the 18 volt mod as demonstrated here -> EMG 18 volt mod thread

When I finished, I plugged into my POD and everything is EXTREMELY quiet, and there's no distortion!!! What happened, did I f*** something up? Someone PLEASE help me! This is a brand new guitar.

My info:
===============
I used the second method pictured in the thread.
I have active EMG 81/85 set
guitar = Schecter Damien 6 Elite

Please Help, I'm freaking out!!!
Last edited by FuseUnison at Feb 6, 2012,
Well first off, you should never attempt wiring mods unless you know what you are doing (and that doesn't include reading some forum post) ESPECIALLY on a brand new guitar. Secondly, it sounds like your output is choked so there is definitely something wrong with your wiring. Its hard to diagnose unless I see exactly what you did as it could be a number of things. Want a tip? Get a tech to fix it or you may **** it up worse.
1. Don't freak out.
2. Take pictures and show us
3. Rewire with just one 9v battery, then see what happens. That should be enough to make you chill out.
Be back in a minute with pics

===========
EDIT
===========
Ok, I rewired with just one 9v battery and the same problem is happening. I've done something wrong because I can take the battery completely out of the equation and I get the same thing.

I'll be back in a second with pictures.
Last edited by FuseUnison at Feb 4, 2012,
Sorry for the bad quality. This is my setup. the pink circles go together and the blue go together. The pink goes to the pickups, and the blue is the ground.

Quote by Spaztikko
whats the point?

I'm trying to do the 18volt mod for active EMGs, but I can't get it to work.
Since it seems to be a power problem, simplify as much as possible. Try touching the battery contacts directly to the power wires coming from the guitar.

When you're troubleshooting something like this, it's smart to have the guitar plugged in and the amp on. These are small voltages, you won't hurt anything, and it's often really hard to know what's making contact and what's not. If the guitar is "live" you can poke around until things get loud to pinpoint the issue.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
Did you accidently pull the battery wire loose from the jack? Where the green circle is in this pic.
http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr151/zakkwyldefan79/EMG%2018v%20Mod/EMG18VoltMod5.jpg

It still seems connected, but I'll take the jack out really quick and confirm....back in a sec
=========
EDIT
========
OK, everything's still connected at the jack, and touching the wires directly to the battery terminals does nothing. I've tried 3 different batteries, and nothing. I know the batteries are good, I've tested all of them in my eBow.
You're not trying to connect them backwards? If you've got power at the batteries and it's going the right way, you have a problem upstream. The jack is still a suspect, as is the hot connection at the pickup.

Pickups are astoundingly hard to damage, so this can really only be a wiring issue.
Everything is connected and well soldered in the compartment in the back. Do you think I need to take the pickups out and check them? If so, what am I looking for? Thanks!
If you pulled on the red wires, you could've pulled the quick connects off or almost off the pickups causing them to not have a good connection. So make sure the quick connects are all the way on the terminals on the back of the pickups.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
If you pulled on the red wires, you could've pulled the quick connects off or almost off the pickups causing them to not have a good connection. So make sure the quick connects are all the way on the terminals on the back of the pickups.

Thanks, checking. brb
Back to the drawing board. All quick-connects are secure.
========
EDIT
========
CRAP!!! I was turning the guitar back over, and a little bead of solder fell out.....I'm looking all over in here and I can't for the life of me tell from where it came....arrrggh.

============
2ND EDIT
============

That bead of solder did not belong to this guitar. Also, I got the meter out and checked and power is flowing freely and at proper levels. All circuits are completed as they should be, but for some reason when I plug in to my POD or my multi-track, or my digitech pedal, the volume is extremely low.

Does anyone have ANY idea as to what could be going on?
Quote by Explorerbuilder
IN the pics it looks like you have one positive and one negative taped together from the battery clips. All the red need to go together and all the black need to go together.

That's how you get them to run as a series instead of parallel. Besides even if I just wire it back up the way it was originally (red to red, black to black) I'm still getting the same problem.
Sorry for the double-post but I just wanted to throw this in the mix. I just downloaded the wiring diagram for the Schecter Damien 6 Elite, and comparing it to the actual wiring I'm see MANY differences. I bought it new, btw.

=========
EDIT
=========

Let me re-phrase that....it's not wired up the same way AT ALL......
it seems like u took the overly-complicated route into doing this mod. all u had to do is wire 2 harnesses to the leads of one, and the one harness would connect to the one in the guitar.

i dont understand why there is loose wiring in ur picture
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
it seems like u took the overly-complicated route into doing this mod. all u had to do is wire 2 harnesses to the leads of one, and the one harness would connect to the one in the guitar.

i dont understand why there is loose wiring in ur picture

This guitar didn't have a snap-on connector harness. The two loose wires you see were just soldered to two metal plates in the wall of the battery compartment. You just dropped the battery in the compartment, you didn't actually snap it into anything.
I had the same problem with aphil demmel demelition king v i bought, and have heard of others having the same issues with new guitars.

Im sure as i have before I did it correctly several times before... And im also sure something fried inside the pickup, being an internal fuse or the preamp itself. I tried conecting them directly, no good and also tried an old emg 81 pickup with mi electrical setup and they worked perfectly, so somethings up with the new emg pups in new guitars...

Im mad as hell, ive just send an email to emginc, lets see what they have to say....
Hi guys, I have the same problem, tried the 18v mod and now I have no sound. My pickup is a 707. Went back to 9v, and still very thin sound. My guitar also has a couple passive pickups (had no money to buy the whole EMG setup) and they sound fine, but not the 707. Were you able to resolve? Did I fry my pickup?