Page 1 of 2
http://unfaircampaign.org/

I take it several UGers have already seen this but there doesn't appear to be a thread discussing the rights and wrongs of it. I personally find this intolerably offensive and, indeed, racist. I have never judged people on the colour of their skin and I believe the fact that I, as a white person, am being anonymously judged as a racist is absolute bullshit.

Discuss boys and girls.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
IT'S HARD TO SEE RACISM WHEN YOU'RE WHITE

That's funny, I can see it just fine on the front page of your anti-racism website.

Suggesting that white people are the cause of all racism and are immune to any kind of racism is plain foolish. The only thing I can see this campaign doing is furthering segregation.

Is this like.. a joke? I find it hard to believe that this could actually be serious.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
I believe the site claims that white people are the benefactors of institutional racism. I personally disagree with this as I don't believe it to be the case in my country. I cannot speak for other nations.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
The costs of racism to a white person? Really?

I can just imagine it. "I have so much cotton I just don't know where to store it all!"
Quote by RU Experienced?
^Clearly didn't take more than a cursory glance at the website.

No, I looked at a few pages, and read about "white privilege." Am still going through it now. I still think it's ridiculous to lead with that tag line.

Quote by Scumbag1792
Quote by RU Experienced?
^Clearly didn't take more than a cursory glance at the website.

Because it's a pretty shittily designed website. Uck.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
The front page is pretty idiotic, but the rest of it isn't dumb. It basically says that white people have to stand up against racism as well.
I believe it is mostly using the U.S. as the center of its argument here based on the videos it has: "Jim Crow laws", Japanese internment etc.
Slavery, civil rights movement, f da man

/whitepeopletryingtofliptheswitchonracisimthread

nugguhsss.

oh and for the record Im half white half black so f Mexicans?
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
No, I looked at a few pages, and read about "white privilege." Am still going through it now. I still think it's ridiculous to lead with that tag line.
What's ridiculous about it? It's in line with the rest of the websites goals, particularly their mission statement: "The mission of the Un-Fair Campaign is to raise awareness about white privilege in our community, provide resources for understanding and action, and facilitate dialogue and partnership that results in fundamental, systemic change towards racial justice."

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
Suggesting that white people are the cause of all racism and are immune to any kind of racism is plain foolish.
Where did you get this from the website?

Quote by Thrashtastic15
The costs of racism to a white person? Really?

I can just imagine it. "I have so much cotton I just don't know where to store it all!"

Quote by RU Experienced?
What's ridiculous about it? It's in line with the rest of the websites goals, particularly their mission statement: "The mission of the Un-Fair Campaign is to raise awareness about white privilege in our community, provide resources for understanding and action, and facilitate dialogue and partnership that results in fundamental, systemic change towards racial justice."

Where did you get this from the website?

My problem is they're singling out white people. An anti-racism campaign is not inherently a bad thing, but singling out a specific group is. This isn't from the website, but it is from one of the organisers:

“It’s difficult to see and understand racism when we as white people are not subjected to acts of discrimination and intolerance,” explained Ellen O’Neill, executive director of the YWCA.

That's the attitude that I've taken away from their site. The implied message is white people just don't understand racism. I'm all for stamping out racism, but the way this website is going about it makes it very hard for me to want to support them, especially as a white person who has experienced racism.

Quote by Scumbag1792
Last edited by -xCaMRocKx- at Feb 4, 2012,
Quote by Ghefly
I hate those Irish stupid drinking dumb ass potato eating bunch of thieving drunkards.

just wait til i sober up! il beat the spuds out of you!

you forgot the bit about the uber-conservative catholic baby factories
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
TL;DR All crackers are racists? I think the website is trying to make people aware of discrimination. Just by adding a bit of white guilt into the mix...

Quote by Ed Hunter
http://unfaircampaign.org/

I take it several UGers have already seen this but there doesn't appear to be a thread discussing the rights and wrongs of it. I personally find this intolerably offensive and, indeed, racist. I have never judged people on the colour of their skin and I believe the fact that I, as a white person, am being anonymously judged as a racist is absolute bullshit.

Discuss boys and girls.

You're either missing a comma or I'm discussing the wrong thing entirely.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
My problem is they're singling out white people. An anti-racism campaign is not inherently a bad thing, but singling out a specific group is. This isn't from the website, but it is from one of the organisers:
Did you read the project background? The community they're attempting to address the problem in is 89% white. They go on to say that they cannot resolve the issue in Duluth unless white people take it upon themselves to publicly address it and bring awareness around.

That's the attitude that I've taken away from their site. The implied message is white people just don't understand racism. I'm all for stamping out racism, but the way this website is going about it makes it very hard for me to want to support them, especially as a white person who has experienced racism.

I think the message is that there are certain white privileges that most white people are unaware of because they take it for granted and/or just never reflect on it (See some of the examples in the FAQ). In that sense I think they're trying to argue that white people don't understand the implicit racism that is directed towards minorities in every day life.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Did you read the project background? The community they're attempting to address the problem in is 89% white. They go on to say that they cannot resolve the issue in Duluth unless white people take it upon themselves to publicly address it and bring awareness around.

I think the message is that there are certain white privileges that most white people are unaware of because they take it for granted and/or just never reflect on it (See some of the examples in the FAQ). In that sense I think they're trying to argue that white people don't understand the implicit racism that is directed towards minorities in every day life.

+1

I don't see how they could "target" anyone other than white people?
Quote by RU Experienced?

Maybe I just don't get it because I

A - Live in another country
B - Live in a racially diverse area

Like I said, I see what they're trying to do, but it seems like they're demonising white people. It just seems poorly executed to me.

Quote by Scumbag1792
Quote by Un-Fair Campaign

Examples of privilege might be:

I can walk around a department store without being followed;

How the hell am I supposed to change that?

I can come to meeting late and not have my lateness attributed to my race;

I didn't knew this shit happened, what does race have to do with being on time

I am able to drive a car in any neighborhood without being perceived as being in the wrong place or looking for trouble;

Yeah, cause when a white guy goes to a black people neighborhood they don't look at him like he's in the wrong place.

I can turn on the television or look to the front page and see people of my ethnic and racial background represented;

Recently in almost every ad there has to be a black guy so no one starts making comments about how racist that program is because of over sensitive people.

I can take a job without having co-workers suspect that I got it because of my racial background;

Yeah, cause everyone knows white people don't need jobs.

I can send my 16-year old out with his new driver’s license and not have to give him a lesson how to respond if police stop him.

Everyone should give their son/daughter lessons on how to address a figure of authority, unless you're a rude prick, but that is a whole other story...

But then again, I don't even know how Duluth is so.. w/e.
You guys think that girl on the main page would be annoying? lol
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
oh no, the reverse racism, it burns.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
Quote by VillainousLatin
How the hell am I supposed to change that?

Be aware of it. If you see it happening, complain. etc. etc.

I didn't knew this shit happened, what does race have to do with being on time

Yeah, cause when a white guy goes to a black people neighborhood they don't look at him like he's in the wrong place.

Remember what the site said about privilege-blindness?

Recently in almost every ad there has to be a black guy so no one starts making comments about how racist that program is because of over sensitive people.

The point.

Your head.

Those token minorities are an attempt to redress the balance of popular media* and make it a tad more reflective of the real world.

Yeah, cause everyone knows white people don't need jobs.

I don't even know what this is.

Everyone should give their son/daughter lessons on how to address a figure of authority, unless you're a rude prick, but that is a whole other story...

Again, you're missing the point. Young black men, especially, are far more likely to suffer police harrassment, so they may need more advice on how to address figures of authority than their white colleagues, simply to compensate for institutional racism.
Still, it's not like I'm gonna walk into a store and complain that nobody is following, and I don't really like meddling on other peoples affairs so, I will not be getting out of my way just to complain that I might have seen a white person kinda following a black man just because there's a possibility he's doing it just because he's black
Quote by VillainousLatin
Still, it's not like I'm gonna walk into a store and complain that nobody is following, and I don't really like meddling on other peoples affairs so, I will not be getting out of my way just to complain that I might have seen a white person kinda following a black man just because there's a possibility he's doing it just because he's black

I don't know that I would do any different, but we can at least be aware of white privilege. I agree that it takes a significant amount of spine to actually do something about it - there was a good article on that site about not choosing the 'path of least resistance'.
Racism is an issue that we don’t like talking about

Didn't bother to check out the website any further than that. I deem it shallow and pedantic.
Everywhere it reads "privilege" replace it with "initiative".
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by gabcd86
I don't know that I would do any different, but we can at least be aware of white privilege. I agree that it takes a significant amount of spine to actually do something about it - there was a good article on that site about not choosing the 'path of least resistance'.

Yeah I guess, it's not like when I go to the US I don't get my fair share of racism since I'm not white, but that doesn't mean I expect someone to come and stand up for me.. unless I'm getting lynched or something, but in that case I guess I would help out too (help the person getting lynched)
Quote by CoreysMonster
Didn't bother to check out the website any further than that. I deem it shallow and pedantic.

Word.

I mean, yeah, nobody likes talking about because it's always being shoved down our throats by various ads. Nobody gives a shit.
Quote by severed-metal
Word.

I mean, yeah, nobody likes talking about because it's always being shoved down our throats by various ads. Nobody gives a shit.

Well that's the problem.
Quote by gabcd86
Well that's the problem.

That nobody gives a shit?

Do you give a shit about racism? If so, why?
Quote by severed-metal
That nobody gives a shit?

Do you give a shit about racism? If so, why?

I don't like that entire portions of my country's population, including people who are my friends, are disadvantaged through no fault of their own, and I don't like benefiting from that.

Also, I'm not a dick.
dat white guilt

Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Quote by gabcd86
I don't like that entire portions of my country's population, including people who are my friends, are disadvantaged through no fault of their own, and I don't like benefiting from that.

Also, I'm not a dick.

Don't like it if you want, that's reasonable, but being bombarded with "racism is bad" and its many forms isn't doing any good. Quite the opposite, really. It creates an apathy amongst people who went their entire life without judging another race because they were another race. Ed Hunter said it perfectly, why should white people be judged just because we're white?

I dislike inequality amongst people as well, but it's white guilt putting force behind the movement, not a genuine want to solve the racial inequality problem. Don't get me wrong by the way, I am sincerely not downplaying the effects of racism.

I don't see what saying "I'm not a dick" is proving, though.
Every time I see something about white privilege or about how reverse-racism can't exist because of it, it makes me slightly more racist.

I am prepared for the shitstorm.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Page 1 of 2