I'm thinking about buying a squier strat from my friend and wanted to know if it'd be worth $75. Im also going to change the pickups.
Depends on the model and age.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I tried a brand-new Classic Vibe strat the other day and it actually played pretty well. Granted, the hardware/electronics aren't outsanding but as long as they're at least the regular squier strat (not the mini or bullet) they're pretty decent bang-for-the-buck guitars.
Last edited by Helicopters! at Feb 4, 2012,
If he only wants 75 bucks, it probably isn't a high quality one.

Quality of squier guitars vary a lot. If it's one of the newer bullet models with a single ply pickguard and tremolo system, I personally think they are horrible to play. But I had one of the hardtail indonesian bullets a few years ago and it was a hell of a lot better and cost just as much.
At the moment I have a squier SE special strat. It has one of those pearly pickguards and is nicer than both of them and still was about the same price to buy new.

I'd say try it out first if you can and try some of the new squiers in the shop to compare it with.
Most Squiers are aroung 150 to 175... either the guitar is low quality, or you are getting a great deal. If you can, play it and see if you like it. If it craps out in a year or two, take advantage of your saved money and put some nice pick-ups in that thing and soup it up. Good luck!
I recently got a got squire Bullet. The only thing I dont like about it is the lack of a tremolo. But, not like I use em often anyway.
Before, I had an Ibanez GRX40. it was S/S/H this squire I have now is s/s/s and is nice I gotta say. It also has two tone knobs, but i really dont notice a difference at all.
Anyway, In comparison to my ibanez, i like it A LOT more. I feel like I'm cheating on my Ibby
It plays a lot better. Its gotta nice feel to it. I play it a lot more than my Ibanez now.

Tl;dr Squires good, but I only know of the Bullet. So, watch out I guess.
Also, I got it for 40 at a pawn shop.
"A guitar is your personality expressed through six strings"

"I'm cuddly bitch, deal with it"
The classic vibe series is surprisingly good. The standards and below are terrible. I had a squier affinity and it just totally turned me off of the brand.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by You Ruined It
The approximate pecking order of Squiers is something like this, from worst to best: starcaster, bullet, affinity, standard, vintage modified, classic vibe. correct me if I'm wrong though.

Squier Deluxe's are on the same level with CV afaik.
Quote by miio

Naw, they're more on the same level as the Standards. The VMs and CVs are subjectively as good as low end Fenders.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by miio
No they're not. The CVs are a clear cut above anything else that Squier puts out.

I'd buy one before I ever even considered a Fender MIM, and given the price, I might even take one over a MIA standard or special.
Quote by piwifrut
If he only wants 75 bucks, it probably isn't a high quality one.

Quality of squier guitars vary a lot. If it's one of the newer bullet models with a single ply pickguard and tremolo system, I personally think they are horrible to play. But I had one of the hardtail indonesian bullets a few years ago and it was a hell of a lot better and cost just as much.
At the moment I have a squier SE special strat. It has one of those pearly pickguards and is nicer than both of them and still was about the same price to buy new.

I'd say try it out first if you can and try some of the new squiers in the shop to compare it with.

I too have an indonesian bullet hardtail and that thing is a dream! It plays like butter and its super light. I got that for 40 bucks.
For 75 bucks from a friend, you're probably looking at an affinity strat. I don't like those too much. Something about the bodies feel a little 'fake' to me.

Squiers all in all are pretty cool though but I don't think i'd to a pickup swap in most of them.
Guitars:
'95 MIM black label strat
'99 MIM telecaster
'05 Squier bullet hardtail
'08 First act me501
80's Hondo II strat copy
Amp:
'94 Peavey Classic 30 w/WGS ET65 + 2x12
Effects:
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
MXR M66 Classic OD
Black Russian Big Muff
I was playing a CV Tele at my GC the other day through a Fender Deluxe II and it was magical. I like playing that Tele every bit as much as I like playing my MIA. I was blow away at how much better the CVs are than your typical Squier. I liked this Tele way more than the MIM Tele's a tried and sure it's only one guitar I tried but it really did have the quality that everyone on here says it has. I was thinking of buying, it was so good.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
The question is pretty stupid because every brand has their good and bad products. And for 75 bucks you aren't losing that much money if you didn't like the guitar. 75 bucks for almost any playable guitar is a good deal. But people bash Squiers because they buy the cheapest models or don't play them before buying. And of course people compare them to more expensive Fenders and stuff and of course Squiers are worse, that's why they are cheaper. And there's also some bandwagoners that dislike the product because other people dislike the product.

What I can say is that when I play in a band I use my friend's brothers Squier VM P-bass and it's pretty good, I like it. But remember to try before you buy.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I have a '96 Squier ProTone fat tele and it is on par with any sub $1000 USA made Tele in construction and materials (wood), the electronics are a little lacking, but not by much. 2 piece ash body super fast neck. You can find them on ebay every once in a while, but they typicaly sell for $400-$600 USD used.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Played a Squier CV Strat and while it felt cheap it sounded nice and played pretty well.

Played a Squier Tele (not Classic Vibe) and it wasn't terrible.

Played many other cheap-end Squiers and they sucked some serious ass. Mainly because they were setup terribly and were as bland as the most boring shade of beige in existence.
How long have you been playing? Because seems like some people here don't realize the fact that Squiers are starter/low budget guitars. I think TS is asking how they compare to other products in the same price range. Of course the sound will be boring and the feel won't be the best. But that's why they are cheap. Squier is like Epiphone. It's the cheaper series of Fender just like Epiphone is the cheaper series of Gibson. But as I said: Try before you buy. And it doesn't matter what everybody here thinks. If you like it then you like it. Nobody can tell that, only you can.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I have a strat from 2000 made in China. It plays really well and has surprisingly good pickups. However, I've seen many other squiers which don't even get close and hold tune like my grandmothers socks.

I would definatly try it out before you buy one.
I have a 91 squire strat that came with fender saddles and ggotoh tuners made in korea...i ended up putting a loaded 09 fender standard pickguard in it. sounds great. just something you could consider down the road.
My first guitar was a brand new squire standard made in Indonesia I believe. It was the first guitar I've ever picked up, so I didn't realize the neck was bowed. It sounded like shit, but I thought it was just my playing. Once I realized that something was wrong with the neck I took it to three different repair shops. All said the neck was to far gone to even attempt to straighten and the guitar simply wasn't worth messing with. I struggled with that piece o shit for 5 years before I got something better. I'm not sure it would of sounded that good even if the neck was straight.

To be truthful though, I probably would have never played guitar if I had to shell out $700 - $1000 for my first guitar. It was a shitty little guitar, but it got me started. I guess we gotta start somewhere.
Squires are to me, the beset option if you want the guitar to be be modded and personalized. I would just sand of the "Squire" logo and serial number so it is just a blank headstock. I cringe at the Squire name because of the strat-mini and bullets.