so when i've got my pedals all hooked up everything is working fine and sounds good but the volume knob on the head unit does nothing it can be on 0 or 10 no difference? Then i plug the guitar directly into head unit and it works fine.. i've tried different cords and pedals and still get same results. any ideas?
Cort - Mirage
Hughes & Kettner - Warp 7 Combo
DigiTech - Metal Master
your pedals are too loud for the volume knobon the amp?
try using the volume on the guitar or turning down some of the pedals out put

but ive still never seen this happen
no it's not that the knob on amp has no effect at all.. evrything else works perfect and sounds totaly normal? just can't bring up the beefyness of the amp without that knob working .. haha it makes no sence to me. but like i said works completely normal when guitar is straight into amp??
Cort - Mirage
DigiTech - Metal Master
Quote by boiling-flesh
no it's not that the knob on amp has no effect at all.. evrything else works perfect and sounds totaly normal? just can't bring up the beefyness of the amp without that knob working .. haha it makes no sence to me. but like i said works completely normal when guitar is straight into amp??

im not entirely sure what you mean can you upload a clip on youtube or something it would help alot to hear the problem
don't have the ability to do that. i will try to explain better though . ok so my guitar is going into a distortion pedal then into a noise gate then into amp. when this is all hooked up the volume knob on the amp does not work no matter what channel or anything. does not do anything. BUT wheni take the guitar and plug directly into the amp with no pedals the volume knob on amp works fine. i'm messing with it currently to see if i may have plugged something in wrong.. decimator needs too many cords!
Cort - Mirage
DigiTech - Metal Master
same issue with or without noise gate
Cort - Mirage
DigiTech - Metal Master
Are all your pedals properly powered? If even one pedal in the chain isn't powered, the whole thing won't work.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Are you getting any sound at all?
Austin Les Paul
Alvarez Acoustic

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
Peavey 5150 2x12 60watt combo
Orange Micro Terror
Jet City Made in USA 2x12
When you say the volume knob doesn't work, do you mean you get no volume? Or do you get some volume but the knob itself doesn't work?

Are you using the effects loop at all?
pedals are powered properly i get normal sound it sounds good and fine i just cant use the amp volume only pedal controls volume.. like say the amp is stuck on 2 or 3 and i can only change that with the volume knob on pedal, so i can still play and it goes loud but dosent get the same tone as when i turn up amp volume. ive had this set up for awhile and had moved it to jam somewhere moved it home again re set it up now this?? hope this helped!
Cort - Mirage
DigiTech - Metal Master
What about the noise gate on its own? Maybe the drive pedal has a fault of some wierd kind.
also can't turn it down from where it is either.. unless like i said guitar straight to amp it works perfect. i cant see how pedals would affect the way the amp is controlled.
Cort - Mirage
DigiTech - Metal Master
tried a few different distortion and OD pedals still same problem.??
Cort - Mirage
DigiTech - Metal Master
Are you using the effects loop?

Describe your signal chain in as much detail as you can.
I take it this is the Hughes and kettner one we're talking about? It sounds like something has gone wrong with the amp itself, can't think what though. It's nothing simple like a button pushed or channel switched by accident while it's been moved back and forth from jamming?
no not hughes and kettner it is a peavy transtube head with a fender cab. not that simple. wish it was though haha checked all that stuff!. and yes i am useing the FX loop always have and it's always worked.. signal chain? correct me if i'm wrong but is that just my set-up in order? if so it's guitar>distortion pedal>noise gate(decimator g-string)>amp.. useing fx loop. once again hope this helps
Cort - Mirage
DigiTech - Metal Master
the distortion pedal is either a digi tech metal master or the pocket metal muff .. tried both
Cort - Mirage
DigiTech - Metal Master
Ok, so you're plugging your guitar into the pedals into the effects return? That will disengage the preamp volume control on most amps.

You need to be more clear when you're describing these things. You say you're using the effects loop but the way you described it doesn't indicate what pedals are in the loop and which ones are before the input. It's really hard to help when you're not giving us information to work with.

Tell us exactly what inputs and outputs are being used.
Something like:
Guitar > Tubescreamer > amp input > effects send > Boss reverb > effects return
If you put the distortion and noise gate in the loop you're effectively taking the pre amp out as said which means the volume control. Pedals such as those go into the front of the amp and the loop is for things like delay pedals and such. I'm not suprised now after reading that that your volume doesn't work. Get those pedals in the right place and try it.
oh ok! that worked. i did not know that... very simple fix! thanks guys. learned something new
Cort - Mirage
DigiTech - Metal Master
Quote by boiling-flesh
oh ok! that worked. i did not know that... very simple fix! thanks guys. learned something new

Excellent, it turns out it was a simple fix after all lol, get jammin man
That's what it sounding like to me as well. Seems like the effects loop is being used incorrectly. Generally certain pedals like distortions should be directly between the guitar and the amp input. Then you put other effects like delays, reverbs, etc in the loop. You want a cable from the preamp Send to the power amp Receive. It really sounds like you are just plugging the guitar to the pedals and then directly to the receive on the power amp. You aren't using the preamp in the amplifier at all if that is the case.