Hey,
I've got a Squire Strat plugged into a Fender Mustang. I've had the guitar for about 8 months. I've noticed these past weeks when I play the guitar on a rock tone, it sounds grainy, fuzzy, and overall more quiet, with less punch.
I plugged it into my old, tiny Fender SP10 starter amp that I used when I first started. I always remembered the OD being too harsh. When I tested it again on the SP10 today it sounded extremely fuzzy, grainy, almost tinny. A complete change in tone. It's not as noticeable coming from some of the tones on the Mustang, but I know it's changed.
I have no idea what's happened. I do remember, a month or two ago, it did completely fall of it's stand and hit the ground face first. I don't know if that was it though.
The strings are fairly new. The pickups look fine. I have multiple patch chords. But the sound of the guitar (most noticeable on any distortion) has completely changed for the worse. Can anyone help me out here? Thanks a million, this is really getting me down.
definitely sounds like a weak connection inside the guitar.

if you feel up to it, open up the guitar and give each electrical connection a light tug. if one pops loose, or seems to move more than the others, you'll have your culprit.

other than that, my guess would be a tired jack socket. if you wiggle the lead in the jack socket, does it move around? is it seated tightly, or is there some play when you put it in?
Looks like I might do that. Now say I find a weak connection, is it simply a matter of re-soldering it over?
Quote by MJR22
Looks like I might do that. Now say I find a weak connection, is it simply a matter of re-soldering it over?

yup.

guitars don't really have a whole lot in them that can just suddenly "die" without any warning. they're pretty simple for the most part