I'm still trying to figure out a couple of things because I really want to make sure my technique is correct before I try anything new and get ahead of myself. So I'm going to just put all my questions in this thread instead of posting a bijillion.

Alright lets start with pick holding and technique.

First off how should your pick be held?

Should my fingers be curled or bent?
Is my thumb too far on the pick?
Am I choking up on it too much?

Sometimes my thumb is getting snagged on mainly upstrokes, is this a problem with my grip or strumming technique?

I also noticed that my picks tip tends to be down a little bit below the strings, what does this mean?

Right arm questions:
Should my arm be on the actual body of the guitar or rather behind it and coming out from where the strap pin thing is?

My right hand tends to be resting on the side of my hand closets to my pinky finger is this correct? How should the wrist be?

And lastly:

When sitting or standing should the neck be pointed out away from you and up or be flat against your body?

Very last question: how should your wrist and thumb be placed on the neck?

I know this is a EXTREME amount of questions but I figured I should get them all out right now so I would greatly appreciate answering any one of these at least.
Last edited by abfirstr8 at Feb 4, 2012,
Quote by abfirstr8
I'm still trying to figure out a couple of things because I really want to make sure my technique is correct before I try anything new and get ahead of myself. So I'm going to just put all my questions in this thread instead of posting a bijillion.

Alright lets start with pick holding and technique.

First off how should your pick be held?

Should my fingers be curled or bent?
Is my thumb too far on the pick?
Am I choking up on it too much?

Sometimes my thumb is getting snagged on mainly upstrokes, is this a problem with my grip or strumming technique?

I also noticed that my picks tip tends to be down a little bit below the strings, what does this mean?

Right arm questions:
Should my arm be on the actual body of the guitar or rather behind it and coming out from where the strap pin thing is?

My right hand tends to be resting on the side of my hand closets to my pinky finger is this correct? How should the wrist be?

And lastly:

When sitting or standing should the neck be pointed out away from you and up or be flat against your body?

Very last question: how should your wrist and thumb be placed on the neck?

I know this is a EXTREME amount of questions but I figured I should get them all out right now so I would greatly appreciate answering any one of these at least.

First things first, everyone has different ways of doing stuff. I'll answer your questions; but remember, it's only how I do it, and that doesn't necessarily mean you have to do the same. Play how you feel comfortable.

1) Pick question = the pick should be held firmly (or loosely, depending on what style you're playing) in-between the thumb and index finger. Just play around with your fingers and play your guitar to find the way you're most comfortable with it.

2) Strumming question = I would say try to relax your hand a bit more. Remember, strumming is mostly in the wrist, not in your forearm. Keep your whole arm relaxed. If the problem continues, then focus on your upstroke and make sure that it comes out clean every time.

3) Pick tip question = It's fine, don't worry about it. Just make sure it doesn't get caught in the string, and that it doesn't get in the way of your picking.

4) Arm Question = This depends. Most guitars are shaped for your comfort, with [grooves] for your right arm (or strumming arm) and for it to sit comfortably in your lap. Just play around with where you rest it and find the place where YOU are most comfortable.

5) Hand resting question = As long as this doesn't get in the way of your playing (muting the strings, not allowing you to strum correctly, etc.), it's fine.

6) Neck Question = The neck should be where you can play correctly. Normally standing it should be pointed straight to your left (assuming you aren't a lefty), as in diagonal issues, that depends on how you adjust your strap.

7) Wrist and thumb question = Your wrist and thumb will adapt to what you're playing. Usually my thumb changes positions several times when I'm playing chord progressions, especially when I bar. So just find the way you are most comfortable.

Hope my answers helped!