Generally, how much tension does a single spring add? In terms of half steps, I guess.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
That's a difficult question to answer , a springs tension depends on its inherent constant and the length in which it is stretched.

Say you have a 3 spring setup that works fine. You can add a 4th spring and set it up to work properly like the 3 spring setup. Same amount of tension in both scenarios, the difference is the trem arm will feel stiffer with 4 springs vs 3.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Feb 5, 2012,
My issue is that I just can't get my 3 springs to balance out my string tension, even with the claw screwed all the way in

BTW, your sig pisses me off every time I see it. I want dat.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
10-52, E Standard.

I know there shouldn't be any issues, but honestly I think the springs have just lost their tension. The guitar is 11 years old, and it was in absolutely terrible shape when I got it. The thing was practically FUBAR. I nursed it back to health

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i keep 5 in a strat in Estd with 11's wrenched down really good. four would probably work though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
How do you have the springs set up? They usually recommend a 'triangle' type configuration when using 3 springs. Honestly though, a new set up springs is going to be cheap. The GC I go to just gives them to me.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Yeah you might be able to squeak by with the triangle deal. It gives you a bit more 'length' from the outer two springs. If this doesn't work then you can splurge like $5 for new springs

SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

http://www.floydupgrades.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74&products_id=221

You can try those. They are shorter and heavier springs than the ones that normally come stock in most guitars. You can get more tension out of the same amount of springs with these. I just set up a new Gotoh trem in a guitar with 10s and I'm only using two of these springs to balance it out.
Last edited by poppameth at Feb 6, 2012,
I just got 6 generic springs for $2 on ebay

But if those don't work out, I'll keep that page bookmarked.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Generally each string will put on 20lbs per square inch of pressure resulting in a total of 120lbs per square inch.

Depending on how many springs you have (2, 3, or 5) you divide by the said amount and get how much each spring is pulling back against the strings

Basically, springs don't add tension... The counteract the string tension
???
Last edited by solidrane at Feb 5, 2012,
^That honestly doesn't make sense, there isn't any pressure involved with a tremolo system .

And also, the more you stretch/contract a spring the more "tension" the spring gives out. It's all relative to the spring's inherent constant. If you stand on a car spring it will contract a bit until it is still, the amount of force the spring is giving out is equal to your body mass. If you hold a cinder block and get on the spring it will contract a little more, and the amount of force the spring is exerting is equal to your mass and the mass of the cinder block. Springs aren't a constant force, if they were they wouldn't be a spring
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by solidrane
Generally each string will put on 20lbs per square inch of pressure resulting in a total of 120lbs per square inch.

Depending on how many springs you have (2, 3, or 5) you divide by the said amount and get how much each spring is pulling back against the strings

Basically, springs don't add tension... The counteract the string tension

And what bodily orifice did we pull that figure out of?

What size strings are we talking about? What scale length? What tuning?

Sheesh!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
And what bodily orifice did we pull that figure out of?

What size strings are we talking about? What scale length? What tuning?

Sheesh!

he isn't too far off base really, in standard tuning d'addario light strings(.10-.46) have about 15-20 lbs of tension per string on a 25.5 scale the total tension of the set is about 101 with rounding down their overly exact numbers, if i were to round up it would come to about 110 lbs. as to how much tension/counter tension each spring offers is beyond me.
Quote by Viban
he isn't too far off base really, in standard tuning d'addario light strings(.10-.46) have about 15-20 lbs of tension per string on a 25.5 scale the total tension of the set is about 101 with rounding down their overly exact numbers, if i were to round up it would come to about 110 lbs. as to how much tension/counter tension each spring offers is beyond me.

Please note that you used data that neatly correlated with the presuppositions...And that you qualified your answer by supplying said data.

But yes, given that set of inputs the numbers are basically correct.

A 10/13/17/26/36/46 set on a 25.5 scale will have the following tension values(in pounds), in Standard tuning, from High E to Low E.

16.37, 14.94, 16.5 ,20.28, 21.41, 19.48 for 108.68 pounds overall.

Now change that to D Standard and the overall goes to 86.23, with a range from 11.86 to 16.98. If that were the inital setup, he would have been significantly off, no?

I understand your point, but the details matter, especially when it's so easy to be precise.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Feb 6, 2012,
true, I guess you are right there i mean if you were to play with 13's you'd probably be somewhere in the 130-140 range in standard I see your point aswell ( on a less related note my strings go (high to low 16.2 15.4 16.6 18.4 19.5 17.5 that maybe be because of the material though, nickleplated steel)