It sounds like they are covering a song. What specifically do you want to know about?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
It's called re harmonization yes, but on a big scale.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Ok, but how do they go abouts doing it? is there a a site or a book that teaches this how to do that like them ?
I haven't analysed it musically but I'm guessing it's no different than if you did a death metal version of the same song and used another chord progression.
Without analysing the new harmony compared to the original (which I am not going to do unless you pay me LOL) I don;t know if they've done anything textbook or just used their talent and made a new song with old lyrics.

They are just very good jazz musicians.
Quote by Matt.Guitar

They are just very good jazz musicians.

This
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I know how good they are. I just want to know how they would go about doing it. how do would you reharmonize a song anyway?
The melody line emphasises chord tones, but there's so many chords which could be inferred from one note that you can experiment with the others. So if some sings an A note the chord could be A major, D major, F# minor etc. You just play around with them, just like when you are figuring out the chords for a melody you wrote.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
^^ thanks Alan. Just wish there was a book or something on it. or a useful website.

and mdc, I know man i just found this band a few days ago.. cant stop listening. so groovy!
Quote by ALajoie
^^ thanks Alan. Just wish there was a book or something on it. or a useful website.

I don't think you'll find a step by step guide to reharmonisation. It's just emphasising chord tones, nothing more, nothing less. Use your knowledge of music theory (or learn some) and how melodies interact with the chords played and it's pretty straightforward from there.

But if you wanted a step-by-step guide it would be something like:

1. Identify melody.
2. Use melody to emphasise chord tones.
3. Use chords which aren't employed in original song.

Tada!
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by ALajoie
and mdc, I know man i just found this band a few days ago.. cant stop listening. so groovy!

I've just listened to everything I could find of them on YT and checked their website. There's some talent out there, man.

Quote by AlanHB
I don't think you'll find a step by step guide to reharmonisation. It's just emphasising chord tones, nothing more, nothing less. Use your knowledge of music theory (or learn some) and how melodies interact with the chords played and it's pretty straightforward from there.

But if you wanted a step-by-step guide it would be something like:

1. Identify melody.
2. Use melody to emphasise chord tones.
3. Use chords which aren't employed in original song.

Tada!

essentially. but as far as not finding a step-by-step guide, mark levine actually dedicates a lot of time to reharms in his jazz theory book.

http://books.google.com/books?id=iyNQpJ4oaMcC&pg=PT357&lpg=PT357&dq=mark+levine+jazz+theory+book+reharmonization&source=bl&ots=-HppXm6puC&sig=Y1OwcbBneY2G7qXtddx1OyDNo-I&hl=en&sa=X&ei=SXEvT8WVH5DAgAei2dmoCg&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=mark%20levine%20jazz%20theory%20book%20reharmonization&f=false
#DTWD
Quote by ALajoie
thanks again alan. I guess I'll have to read up on some theory.

and mdc. if you want to check out more (or better quality) you can go to http://soundcloud.com/dirtyloopsofficial

Cheers. I suppose I better answer question also...

Pick a note and see how many ways you can add a harmony underneath it.

It doesn't have to be a chord tone, it can act as a tension or altered tone.
-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5
-5-5-6-5-6-5-5-6-5-5-5
-5-7-5-5-7-6-7-6-4-4-3
-7-5-5-5---7-8-5-4-3-
-8-7-6-5---------5-4-3
---------6-7-8-5------

Fmaj7 - Em11 - Eb6/9 sharp11 - D7sus4 - Bbmaj7 - B7sus4 - C13 - A7 sharp5 - D6/9 - Dbalt - C13
Last edited by mdc at Feb 6, 2012,