I'm looking for intense fine tuning on my guitar.
Is there a point going to a luthier? They are obviously much higher quality, but I don't know if they'd consider extreme optimization of a guitar a bit tedious to do.

Or would I just be paying more money?

tl;dr: Do they take normal requests for things or do they just focus on much more expensive things a regular tech just can't do?
It's spelled wiener.
it really depends on the luthier and tech. depending on what local shop (or L&M, a big canadian chain) I go to, the techs vary greatly in their competence and scope of work. my favorite shop basically does setups and pickup swaps, and outsource to a luthier the rest of the time.

contact the luthier and explain what you need and ask what it would cost. compare that with what a tech wants to charge you. that should help you make up your mind pretty quick
It depends on the person, but usually they'll happily do quality setup work. Most luthiers who make electrics will take setup and repair work because it's a lot easier to make a living on that than hoping enough people will want to buy your expensive custom instruments.

Acoustic luthiers or very prominent electric luthiers may not have the time or may not want to do setups because that's not their focus - though even among that crowd, many will take electrics because of the consistent demand for it.

On the other hand, there's no reason a tech can't do a setup just as well as a luthier. A seasoned tech is going to be just as good at knowing how to optimize a guitar. Whether or not they make guitars themselves doesn't really mean anything - though it can be an indicator that they do good work.
its a person by person basis. find somebody [not shady] that does good work. stick with him. if you have a good rep at your store, as him.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by AtomicBirdy
I'm looking for intense fine tuning on my guitar.
Is there a point going to a luthier? They are obviously much higher quality, but I don't know if they'd consider extreme optimization of a guitar a bit tedious to do.

Or would I just be paying more money?

tl;dr: Do they take normal requests for things or do they just focus on much more expensive things a regular tech just can't do?

Sounds like you want a plek treatment..

Find a dealer near you: http://www.plek.com/en_US/kontakt/get-pleked/worldmap/

It will be reasonably pricey, but you could find "regular techs" that'll charge more.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by power freak
Sounds like you want a plek treatment..

Find a dealer near you: http://www.plek.com/en_US/kontakt/get-pleked/worldmap/

It will be reasonably pricey, but you could find "regular techs" that'll charge more.

Plek has nothing to do with the tuning of a guitar.

If your talking about the temperament being perfect, that's a completely different thing.
You could get a compensated nut, but beyond that your talking about maybe a new fretboard with those wierd bent frets.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by Snapple
Plek has nothing to do with the tuning of a guitar.

If your talking about the temperament being perfect, that's a completely different thing.
You could get a compensated nut, but beyond that your talking about maybe a new fretboard with those wierd bent frets.

It has all to do with "optimisation" though.
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by power freak
It has all to do with "optimisation" though.

Arent we talking about tuning?
Quote by Snapple
Arent we talking about tuning?

I think he/she/it used "fine tuning" in the same way you would with a car rather than the musical meaning.. But I may be wrong.

From OP:
Quote by AtomicBirdy

Quote by power freak
I think he/she/it used "fine tuning" in the same way you would with a car rather than the musical meaning.. But I may be wrong.

No idea either
I´m a guitar Tech, what is it that you want to do for your guitar ?