Hey UG people, my question is : Does writing covers provide a decent training for your ears ? and the more covers you can write, the easier it will be to write your own music ?

I feel that the answers are 2 yes's but I thought I should ask anyway.

Thank you for your answers
Quote by yoyoloto
Hey UG people, my question is : Does writing covers provide a decent training for your ears ? and the more covers you can write, the easier it will be to write your own music ?

I feel that the answers are 2 yes's but I thought I should ask anyway.

Thank you for your answers

I don't see any connection here, no.
Transcribing music is an excellent way of training your ear.

In terms of writing your own music - just transcribing might help, but you need to do more such as analysing the form of the song in great detail to see how it was arranged and then using these ideas in your own music.
You also need to study the music itself - scales, chords etc this kind of thing.
I don't know what you mean by "writing" covers.

If you want to improve your ear, work specifically on improving your ear: transcribe songs, use the functional ear trainer (free download at miles.be) and get a good book on ear training like Keith Wyatt's "Ear Training for the Contemporary Musician."

Your ear will probably improve with experience just by virtue of spending more time with your instrument. But it will improve a lot faster if you actually work specifically at it, so if you care about it, you should put work specifically into it.
By writing covers I meant transcribing. Thanks for the book suggestion, I will be sure to grab one next time I go to a library.
you have to analyze what you're transcribing, not just hear the notes. figure out how the notes go together and why. transcribing is a big part of the process, and will help your ear and even playing a lot, but without analysis it'll fall over.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.