I'm looking to get one so I can connect my keyboard to my mac and use it on garageband and all that kinda jazz. just wondering if there would be any latency that way.

also, are there advantages to getting an audio interface instead of just a plain midi-usb cord?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
That is one of the complaints with them, also volume. However I use a plain midi-USB cable from synth to pc in reason cubase etc and I don't have any latency. An audio interface would give you the pre amp, this is the main difference.

As long as you aren't running any other devices it should be fine. When I tried to run everything through my gt-10 pedalboard to use that as my sound card/preamp, it sounded muuuchhh better but I experienced so much latency that it was un-useable.
Last edited by cm880999 at Feb 5, 2012,
I bought a Yamaha UX-16 for my Yamaha PSR-270 and I don't really notice any latency problems.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by cm880999
That is one of the complaints with them, also volume. However I use a plain midi-USB cable from synth to pc in reason cubase etc and I don't have any latency. An audio interface would give you the pre amp, this is the main difference.

As long as you aren't running any other devices it should be fine. When I tried to run everything through my gt-10 pedalboard to use that as my sound card/preamp, it sounded muuuchhh better but I experienced so much latency that it was un-useable.

Those cables would have no effect on the volume. That could only be a computer issue. Also, MIDI inputs are completely separate from preamps. There's no need since it's all just a bunch of 1's and 0's that tells the computer what sound to play.

I've heard some people say there's latency issues with the cheaper cables, and I've heard people say there's not. It doesn't hurt to give it a shot however, MIDI interfaces can be found for fairly cheap that will do the job a lot better.