Hey guys.
I'm searching for a cheap, ok quality USB interface to record my bands music.
This is my plan. Im gonna get a multi input mixer and many mics from a local sound company for rent. And then after micing the intruments up, im gonna connect the mics to a mixer and set the volume levels properly. After that, Im gonna connect the mixer to a usb interface and then record it with a computer. So this way I dont have to spend much money on recording at home. Is there anything wrong with this signal chain? Also Dont forget to suggest a good USB interface. Around 100$.
Thanks.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
Can't you rent a good interface instead, like a couple of MOTUs or Presonus Pre8 units to give you 16 inputs say, a $20 firewire card for your PC will a 16 track recorder.

But if you want to go your suggested route, a Alesis IO2 is OK at this price point, but don't expect miracles. You'll need some recording software, so download Reaper if you don't have some, don't be distracted by the cut-down Cubase that ALesis supply, it will only frustrate you.
I loved my Fasttrack pro until i upgraded, its not gonna give you perfect RAWs but if you just wanna do some good demos its worth the cash
oh and if your gonna record digitally, you dont really need more than two inputs on your interface. Unless your planning on micing drums.
Alright thanks guys but I dont think there are places here that rent USB interfaces. Ill check it out anyway. What do you guys think of the Line 6 GX?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
I assume if you're wanting to record your band, that means you intend to create a demo album?

Unless you want to spend a LONG time developing recording & mastering skills, anything you create yourself will be sub-par.

If you really want to create a decent quality demo, you'd be best off going into a studio for a day or two and having it done properly.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Alright thanks guys! How much do normal studios charge generally for a day?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Try getting in touch with some of these guys:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1504383

Also, as you're talking about recording you'd probably have better luck in the Recordings forum.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Long story short; whatever you're going to record is going to sound like complete and utter arse with that method. That's unless you're looking at hiring out a top-tier mixing console and know how to make any instrument orgasm with a microphone; but even then, funneling it all into a shitty sub-$100 USB interface is going to wreck everything. You could take the stereo master output from the mixer in to a dual-input interface, sure, but for that money you're getting complete crap in regards to preamps and AD conversion. If you're set on this idea, look at Focusrite products.

I fully endorse the idea of heading in to a local studio. Depending on your location and the quality of the studio / skills of the engineer, studio hire generally ranges anywhere between $200-600 a day. Realistically, it could be anywhere between $20-2000 a day. For something of good quality though, you'd want to be somewhere that's charging you ~$400. Just google 'recording studios' & your location, and start emailing them all for quotes.
Thanks!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
This is a crap idea in any number of ways.

If you've got a genuine interest in learning to record and mix, I highly recommmend getting an Alesis MultiMix 8 USB (cheap interface with 8 simultaneous inputs). If you've got the right mics, you'll be able to comfortably record a drum kit with this in reasonable quality, as well as all your guitars vocals etc. Pick out a DAW you're comfortable using, and within 6 months to a year you'll be able to get a basic recording that doesn't sound like it was recorded in a skip by a deaf tramp. Another year or so of practice and learning and you should be able to crank out radio-ready demos comfortably - all this, of course, assuming you've got the ear and patience for it.

Like I said, if you're already interested in recording it'll be fun to get some cheap gear and try and record the band - but if you need a demo in the immediate future, go to a studio.
Alright Thanks Again!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny